so i have a bit of a dilemma. I am in the market to buy a new amp. I love really heavy gain and distortion. Along the lines of dave mustaine megadeth riffing. the heavy palm mute chunk. but i want to be able to at least do a decent clean as well. i also want it to be a tube amp.

Now here is the problem, do i need to use amp distortion or pedal distortion? i have heard amp distortion is best, but i cannot find one that suits me. ive played marshalls, ENGL, Bugera, B-52. nothing seems to be able to get heavy enough. Maybe i dont know how to set it up right, but i just cant get an amp to really crank out that heavy distortion you hear on great metal cds. HOW CAN I GET THAT TONE??

(also, i would prefer a combo amp as i want to bring it to college and such, plus for portable-ness)

I really appreciate your help! thanks in adv.!
hah. not that much. it just seems that what ive played can barely put out. like i said i pretty much love Megadeth tone. so lets use that as a Point of Reference
If the amps you listed, besides the marshalls, can't get enough gain for you then you're obviously using them wrong.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
ok im probably using them wrong. ill admit to that. but how can i use them right? ive never played a good amp like that so idk what to do with the settings when i get one to play. im at a loss. i dont want to buy a one i dont like but its hard to find one i do when i dont know how to use them...

EDIT:

low cuz i was in music stores so i couldnt crank them.
Turn up the distortion/preamp gain?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
do i need to have them at a higher volume to get good distortion? idk i just dont know how to get good tone out of a good amp cuz i dont have any experience with them...
look, i think the problem is that i dont know how to turn the dials in to a good tone... lol. so let me ask this, what is a good hi gain amp that is less that 1500 and a combo? then maybe ill just mess with it for a long time til i can hopefully get something nice out of it. also, how do you guys get amps? order them? i like to play stuff before i buy it but guitar center seems to carry **** quite frankly...
You used a bugera and couldn't get enough gain?!?! DAMMMMMN Try butting an od in front? I really don't know what to say...
Quote by 51VH50
hah. not that much. it just seems that what ive played can barely put out. like i said i pretty much love Megadeth tone. so lets use that as a Point of Reference

have you not seen dave doing the youtube video about the tones behind United Abominations....

It's a custom line 6 head, that only dave can have because hes megadave
Quote by mcrfobtai
You used a bugera and couldn't get enough gain?!?! DAMMMMMN Try butting an od in front? I really don't know what to say...

im sure its not the amp. it has to be me. i just dont really know how to get good sound out of hi gain amps. oh well have to work on that. hah
you've got to crank them

and not expect god's tone to come from your amp. Hell my classic 30 seems to sound like EVH when it's nice and cranked on the gain channel.
how long have you been playing? that might factor in to the tone in your head not matching up to what you can put out. maybe you need to work on palm muting and playing cleanly.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Some amps have "lower-gain" and "higher-gain" inputs... my Valveking has that. Usually it's the first input that has the most gain, and the volume difference is notable between them.

But HOW do you not get Megadeth from a B-52? They're supposed to be the poor man's Mesa.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Highwaytohell
you've got to crank them

and not expect god's tone to come from your amp. Hell my classic 30 seems to sound like EVH when it's nice and cranked on the gain channel.

Err, no. For the metal distortion he's looking for he wouldn't really want any powertube distortion.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by UnsignedRecords
how long have you been playing? that might factor in to the tone in your head not matching up to what you can put out. maybe you need to work on palm muting and playing cleanly.

ive been playing for like three years. ive got a C1 hellraiser with emgs. i can get pretty powerful palm mutes out very well on my vox, infact they sound chunkier than what ive been able to get out of these nicer amps. i just dont know what to do with all the dials where as im familiar with my vox so i can get just about any tone out of it.

on another note, has any one played or heard about the Bugera 333XL 212 combo amp? its cheap and it looks alright on American musical...
^ that's mind-boggling then. i've only heard bugeras on youtube, and they all have quite a bit of gain.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Kevin Saale
Err, no. For the metal distortion he's looking for he wouldn't really want any powertube distortion.

I like to crank them... to me it sounds chunkier

Listen, you'll probably just have to futz around with one with lots of chunk and EQ it yourself...
yeah that is what i was thinking. thanks for all the help guys.
Well try this setting, its a general setting i like to start with for testing metal amps and such. treble 7 mid 7 bass 7 gain 7 and since your in the store volume at 1.5-2. Usually you cant go wrong with that as a starting point then tweak from there.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Well try this setting, its a general setting i like to start with for testing metal amps and such. treble 7 mid 7 bass 7 gain 7 and since your in the store volume at 1.5-2. Usually you cant go wrong with that as a starting point then tweak from there.

thank you. probably the most helpful comment yet.
Quote by Raijouta
But HOW do you not get Megadeth from a B-52? They're supposed to be the poor man's Mesa.

No they're not. Only idiots who have never played a real Mesa come to this conclusion because it has a lot of gain.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com