I'm about to get an RG2570z and I'll probably change the pickups eventually but I'm really having a hard time choosing which ones since I can't try any locally. I play shred and instrumental rock exclusively. I'm not really fond of other stuff. I'm a huge fan of Paul Gilbert and Steve Vais smooth stuff. I know Paul Gilbert uses a set of PAF pros but I'm wondering if I should try some evolution or evo2. I've got a set of Breeds in my other RG and it sounds very good. But I would like to try something else. I'm open for all inputs I'll probably go for dimarzios though. Any suggestion, advices ?
Last edited by SuperWeirdoUG at Jul 8, 2008,
what is your amp first?
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I don't have the guitar yet actually since it should arrive soon so I don't know what sound it will have with my rig. I haven't tried the guitar yet either because there were no shops selling one or even anything similar to an RG prestige. My amp is a Valbee it's a 5 watt tube. I won't buy another amp since that one really isn't that bad and I play in an appartment so I can't even crank it up. I've changed the pickups in the RG350 I had for a set of breed and I could tell the difference right away. I will probably change the pickups in the RG2570z even if it sounds good eventually just because I like to hunt for good pickups.

Anyway I find it hard to choose pickups because I can't try any guitar equipped with them locally and listenning to the sound clips from dimarzio websites doesn't help a lot because I think most of them sound awesome so I just can't decide.
Last edited by SuperWeirdoUG at Jul 9, 2008,
Thanks for the advice forsaknazrael, but don't worry I wanted to use the guitar for while before doing anything. It's just I'm afraid stock pickups for the prestige series will never sound quite as good as original dimarzios. I just wanted suggestions about what pickups people have tried with a similar guitar and some pickup combination idea.
If you want something more modern sounding to contrast with the Breed-equipeed guitar, with shreddier leanings then you could look at the Air norton in the neck with a Norton or Tone Zone in the bridge. The Tone Zone is a very full-on pickup, the Norton's a little calmer.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
With the advices I've had I'm beginning to lean toward a PAF Pro/ToneZone or a Air Norton/Tone Zone combo. I've noticed that steve vai's evolution are really not appreciated a lot in these forums but Breeds are, I can tell the Breeds are great but I'm wondering what are the flaws of the evolution for them to be so much disliked.
Quote by Ghold125
can we also know what your amp is X)

My amp is a 5 watt Ibanez Valbee. Don't be fooled by the brand though, It really isn't that bad for practice and it's got a built in attenuator (it sounds quieter when the boost button is pressed which allows it to be cranked quite a bit more even in an appartment.).

BTW Keep in mind if you want to make a get a new amp suggestion, it has to be a 5 watt tube (no more or I'll get kicked out)
What about Swineshead Pickups?? They make INCREDIBLE hand wound pickups, and I have a set of the X-Buckers, which is exactly the kind of thing you are looking for. I was in touch with the guy who actually winds them, and I asked him for pickups based on the styles I like: shred, hard rock, and metal. Check out the sound clips, they will blow you away! Plus they are not as expensive as bareknuckle pickups are; my set cost me about $180 US dollars.
Quote by lumberjack
What about Swineshead Pickups?? They make INCREDIBLE hand wound pickups, and I have a set of the X-Buckers, which is exactly the kind of thing you are looking for. I was in touch with the guy who actually winds them, and I asked him for pickups based on the styles I like: shred, hard rock, and metal. Check out the sound clips, they will blow you away! Plus they are not as expensive as bareknuckle pickups are; my set cost me about $180 US dollars.

I'll check those out as well, I'm unfamiliar with swineshead but I like to look into new stuff
I'll admit after looking at swineshead pickups, I'm not totally convinced since the cost a bit more. The least expensive set I can get is on ebay and it's a full set of evolutions H-S-H (I live in Quebec and major music sites won't ship dimarzio product there, ebay is a cheap solution). That's why I was asking about those but since so many people seem to be unsatisfied with them in other topics, I wanted to know what was so wrong with them. I have read that they are way too bright, is this true ?
hmm, why doesn't mf ship to quebec if it ships every where else in Canada?
Quote by Ghold125
hmm, why doesn't mf ship to quebec if it ships every where else in Canada?

Quebec has a law that forces bilingual descriptions and everything maybe it has something to do with it. I've also been told it is more of a hassle to ship to Quebec, so major site just completely ignore Quebec because of that. Anyway DiMarzio pickups sell for 110$ each here in stores. And I can get them for 69 on ebay (plus there is no taxes !!!)
Quote by Ghold125
do you know anyone out side of qubec, but still close?

I do but it would still be quite a hassle to get them to ship it back to me, but I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea for something that's really expensive that I can't get here.
I honestly envy you in the US when it comes to ordering online, websites often have free shipping on order over X amount and this can be a really interesting offer IMO (especially for amps, guitars and the likes.)
how about a Duncan Full Shred in the neck and a Custom in bridge.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC