Any advice on how to incorporate these scales into rhythm playing and riff writing? I've been told that bands such as Fall of Troy use them extensively. I figure you can either play single note riffs from the scale, or harmonize the notes as power chords and write riffs out of them that way... Any other suggestions or advice?
Utilizing either of those scales is tricky.

Debussy did a great job with the whole tone scale; he somehow made it pleasing to listen to, which is odd, as it is largely dissonant.

I wouldn't base a song off of either; use them within a song to create tension, and resolve accordingly.
i find the whole tone actually quiet pleasing. It gives me a sense of urgency/confusion. For some reason the scale reminds me of tripping :P

The diminished scale on the other hand is more dissonant. 5/4 said it the best. use it to create tension.

OP actually gave a really nice example for using these scales. i think the fall of troy use these scales quiet nicely.
myspace.com/soundsofmeta
Quote by supervillain
Any advice on how to incorporate these scales into rhythm playing and riff writing? I've been told that bands such as Fall of Troy use them extensively. I figure you can either play single note riffs from the scale, or harmonize the notes as power chords and write riffs out of them that way... Any other suggestions or advice?

If I'm riffing out on some power chords I tend to throw in a diminished 7th arpeggio sometimes. Don't forget that 1 diminished 7th can sub for three others too.