Ok me and some friends are startiong a band and I'm the lead guitarist, well the other guitar player likes low tunings like F. I like to use A, F is two low for me. So how could this work? Has any band even used two different guitar tunings like this? Just in case you were wondering, my friend gets his "love of low tunings" from Meshuggah.

Lead Guitarist for..um...some band!

7 String Legion

Gear:
Schecter Gryphon 7
Washburn X37
B.C. Rich Warlock
Squire Strat
Marshall MG10 with Boss ME-30 effects board
(sounds sick, and loud too) ^
One or both of you is probably going to have to compromise unless you harmonise all of the stuff that he plays very low. Couldn't you both meet in the middle and use G or something?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I don't like this modern concept of 'the lower we tune, the heavier we are'. My band sounds heavy as hell and I only tune to drop D
On point: you may as well both play in A, the extra notes between A and F won't really make much of a difference as it will sound very muddy and most likely get lost against the bass
ohai little sig.
lol for a second i didnt know you were using a 7 string and i was like JESUS **** thats an insanely low tuning haha

but anyway... i kinda like zaphod's idea. thats about the fairest compromise that anyones going to come up with
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
that's why I don't like low tunings it gets too low and sound like crap, but I like A it sounds good, not too low but that's about as low as I'll go

7 String Legion

Gear:
Schecter Gryphon 7
Washburn X37
B.C. Rich Warlock
Squire Strat
Originally posted by CrzyGuitarist93
How're you tuning all the way down to F?

We use 7's.

7 String Legion

Gear:
Schecter Gryphon 7
Washburn X37
B.C. Rich Warlock
Squire Strat
i think tuning lower than drop-d is pointless.
if you cant make "heavy" riffs in standard or drop-d then you just need to practice more lol
but im not gonna be a total a** h*** so ill try to help.
maybee you guys should make some songs in drop-Z or whatever the hell you use and make songs in drop-whatever-the-other-guy-wants-to-use.
musicTHEORYnerd may be an obvious asshat for the first statement, his/her statement about playing songs in A and other songs in F is a good idea, imo.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Heaviness for me comes from the drums and vocals mostly. Like parts of MSI's Bring the Pain are super-heavy to me, and all it is is fast double-bass and a little guitar and vocals. I think that drop F is gonna be really muddy, and Drop A chug-type stuff will be, too. Both of you should just play in A, since either way, itll sound deep.
Oh and we also wan't to be two different genres, I want to be death metal and he wants to be experimental metal.

7 String Legion

Gear:
Schecter Gryphon 7
Washburn X37
B.C. Rich Warlock
Squire Strat
I would suggest doing one in a higher tuning and one in a lower tuning to create a sort of harmony effect.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
i think tuning lower than drop-d is pointless.
if you cant make "heavy" riffs in standard or drop-d then you just need to practice more lol
but im not gonna be a total a** h*** so ill try to help.
maybee you guys should make some songs in drop-Z or whatever the hell you use and make songs in drop-whatever-the-other-guy-wants-to-use.

You're an idiot. Not only does downtuning produce a much different, heavier tone, but it makes it possible for a lot of singers to sing within their respective ranges.

Anyway TS, I'd ask your singer what he thinks, provided you have one.
Go to A, thats low enough. If you're using 7s then going down to F won't really make that much of a noticeable difference.