when i pluck a string on my guitar, some of the other strings ring quietly on their own. for example, when i pluck the high E string and then mute it, i can hear the low E and A strings ringing softly. is this normal? is there a way to fix this besides muting the other strings when playing a song?

thanks.
you won't be able to hear it when playing a song.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Muting with both hands is very important - especially on a loud electric guitar, IMO. I use the side of my picking hand to mute strings above the one I'm playing at the moment. With my fretting hand it depends on what I'm doing but I've developed my own ways to mute strings in certain situations. Just takes practice and an awareness of the noise your guitar is making.

edit - I meant fretting hand not picking
Last edited by GoDrex at Jul 8, 2008,
Quote by GoDrex
Muting with both hands is very important - especially on a loud electric guitar, IMO. I use the side of my picking hand to mute strings above the one I'm playing at the moment. With my picking hand it depends on what I'm doing but I've developed my own ways to mute strings in certain situations. Just takes practice and an awareness of the noise your guitar is making.

Agreed 100%
+1.
Helped me too.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
ok thanks, i'll work on that. it's not a big issue on most songs but with some i can hear it.
Yeah thats pretty normal man. btw im currious what bridge do you have on this guitar?
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathetic_string it mentions the E and A strings in the second part - Sympathetic string resonance in music instruments. This is the most common for what you are describing.
Guitars:
Legend Guitar Company OM-307QM,
Gitane John Jorgenson Gypsy Jazz Guitar,
Ibanez AG-85,
Gibson Johnny A Signature Custom

Gear:
E-MU 1820M, Guitar Box Pro, Aphex 204, 1404, Boss OC-2, QSR, Roland Cube 60, Guitar Rig 2, Crybaby 535Q
Quote by plucky duck
Yeah thats pretty normal man. btw im currious what bridge do you have on this guitar?

it's an electric guitar, a schecter. the bridge i think is tone pros and it's string through body.
Quote by botanpon
maybe the bridge is loose

what is your guitar? acoustic or electric

No dude. It's perfectly normal.