I've been playing indie style guitar for several years now, stuff like Built to Spill and Deathcab For Cutie.. I know a lot of chords and simple rhythm playing, can play simple leads, I know basic theory, etc.

But lately I've been getting into harder edged bands like Fugazi, At the Drive In, Bear vs Shark, Fall of Troy, Blood Brothers, Snapcase, a bunch of other post-hardcore stuff. Aside from learning the songs, do you have any other advice on how to learn to write in this style? Any particular techniques or theory to focus on?

Point me in the right direction!
Thanks!
Blood Brothers and Fall of Troy are two very different bands. Most of the time, its pretty much just simple-ish power chords with octave leads or quick, single-note leads. Check out Underoath for some examples of what I mean.
Ew, no. Don't check out Underoath.

If you want to play stuff like At the Drive-In and Fugazi, you need to immerse yourself in 90s indie rock music. Definitely check out stuff like Frodus, Unwound, Sunny Day Real Estate, Drive Like Jehu, and bands like that, and get that song structure style stuck in your head.

The important thing to remember is that the whole post-hardcore scene is built around sounding sweet without trying to sound overly-complex and wanky. The guitar style strays a bit from just power chords, and you'd be better to use full barre chords instead.

It really comes down to an intense drummer and harsh vocalist. The guitar is nothing spectacular.
Quote by Zamboni

If you want to play stuff like At the Drive-In and Fugazi, you need to immerse yourself in 90s indie rock music. Definitely check out stuff like Frodus, Unwound, Sunny Day Real Estate, Drive Like Jehu, and bands like that, and get that song structure style stuck in your head.

The important thing to remember is that the whole post-hardcore scene is built around sounding sweet without trying to sound overly-complex and wanky. The guitar style strays a bit from just power chords, and you'd be better to use full barre chords instead.

It really comes down to an intense drummer and harsh vocalist. The guitar is nothing spectacular.

I like all those bands, thanks. (Except Underoath, lol)

Yeah, after checking some tab sites, it really does seem like most of this stuff is just power chords and octaves.. It seems much simpler than it sounds.
Quote by Zamboni

Not for bands like The Fall of Troy.
PM me if you want to talk about the Red Hot Chili Peppers or hip-hop.