Do other bassists find it harder to adjust to recording. I have some timing issues in the studio. Is it just a matter of practice?
I used to have problems with timing (or so I thought)... but it turns out I didn't change the buffer on my audio driver and all my recordings were SLIGHTY off.... so i started to think I really sucked for a while.
Quote by uvq
uhh maybe your studio is broken,

worst advice ever

odds are you just don't have natural time, and you can only perform live because you have a drummer with you.

either way, the drum tracks should be laid down before the bass tracks, so if that's not done, that may be your problem. at the very least, get a click track.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Yeah, it happens to everyone. Thats why when i recording bands other than my own i always lay down a rough track. Like i get the whole band to play the song, then record each instruments part over that. It sounds like its a long way to do it, but it ends up saving alot of the time. A certain level of skill is needed though, as people that make alot of mistakes make things stressful and tense pretty fast.
Quote by roshjosh
I used to have problems with timing (or so I thought)... but it turns out I didn't change the buffer on my audio driver and all my recordings were SLIGHTY off.... so i started to think I really sucked for a while.

thats happened to me before aswell. my whole band managed to start blame eachother for it, then we rerecorded on another computer and it was all fine. and we lived happily ever after....
It is more difficult recording than playing live in my opinion, for the reasons UtB Dan stated, when live, you have a drummer to keep time for you, having recorded track by track and live, live to me seemed easier, and also in some ways helped the bands energy come accross in the recordings...track by track I had the drums, but wasnt as comfortable...but my natural timing is rubbish...I really shudnt be a bassist, but I love that low end soo much
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
In college I have recorded both live and over dubbed bass tracks.
I would much prefer to do them live but there is so much bleed between tracks that just cannot be helped and with a gate on each track it just doesn't sound "right"
The idea that was mentioned above about recording a live track then over dubbing separate parts is pretty good, the only problem is that if your paying for a studio, you want to get the most time for your money. And doing this would take loads of time to do!
Quote by jb_reborn
thats happened to me before aswell. my whole band managed to start blame eachother for it, then we rerecorded on another computer and it was all fine. and we lived happily ever after....

this is a good call too. if you're using a USB port to record, it will always be off. that's the nature of it.
that's why Mac's are used for most good recordings nowadays... cause it won't happen like that with firewire.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
this is a good call too. if you're using a USB port to record, it will always be off. that's the nature of it.
that's why Mac's are used for most good recordings nowadays... cause it won't happen like that with firewire.

you can get firewire cards for normal computers as well. If your going to record direct to pc/laptop firewire is the way to go.
I never have problems with timing while recording. I did a lot of practicing in my early days with a click track and that really helped. I had more trouble getting drummers to agree to play to a click track.
Like everything, just takes practice if you aren't used to it.
Live shows (in my opinion) are easier to play than studio recording anyday. Just the sheer amount of energy from the crowd, and all the adreneline just makes it so much easier to fall right into the pocket.

But when studio recording, everything has to be perfect, because this is how people are going to hear the song. So nothing can be wrong and the pressure usually leads me to mess up more often than usually. So I just try to record like I play live shows.

And yes, click-track, drum-track, or just a metronome in the room with you will help a lot enormosouly.
Thanks for all the ideas and advice, this is only my second or third time, so I'm gonna chalk it up to needing practice at it, both guitarists who record by themselves are very good and me and my brother(drummer) have only recorded once or twice and never together.
When we recorded our stuff, i played along side the drummer (both recording) we had the guitar and vox fed to us through the head phones. i guess everywhere is slightly different but yet at the same time exactly the same.
Quote by |Heretic|
you can get firewire cards for normal computers as well. If your going to record direct to pc/laptop firewire is the way to go.

I always forget my computer has a firewire port.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
i tend to screw up more when recording, think it's coz there's more pressure to get it right
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.