I was wondering, which has a faster neck: An Epiphone 1958 Goth Explorer or a ESP Mh250. I know Epiphone's have notoriously fat necks, but even when I tryed one, the neck is soft so you can just glide. I was unable to try out the ESP, but I have been told they have VERY fast and sleek necks. Which is faster? I want to have really fast solos possible, but at the sme time I want sound. Real music coming from my amp, not just notes that sounds like button presses. I have more desire for the ESP, but I'm still skeptical.
In my experience, all necks I've played can be just as fast as any other. It's all about getting the feel of the guitar. I can play my Jackson just as fast as my Epi
I havn't ever tried the Epiphone but I'd definitly go for the esp if speed is what you are after, or you can try out the schecter hellraiser or classic and see how you like them, they are the best guitars you can find in that price range.
The ESP will probably have a slimmer neck profile, but Explorer necks are surprisingly thin compared to most other Gibsons (especially the SG) that give the reputation of the large, chunky neck.

Quote by Ravenwoods
I havn't ever tried the Epiphone but I'd definitly go for the esp if speed is what you are after, or you can try out the schecter hellraiser or classic and see how you like them, they are the best guitars you can find in that price range.

The C1 Classic doesn't have a very thin neck, it's built much more like a rhythm guitar than a lead. However, I am much faster on that then any Ibanez with Wizard II. Really it is mostly about getting the feel for the guitar, but I think the OP is asking about what neck is slimmer and, in guitar speak, faster. I'd put money on the ESP, but but I haven't played it so I can't say for certain.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Last edited by troyponce at Jul 8, 2008,
My Epiphone neck is the most comfortable neck I've ever played. Very smooth, very thin.

The most comfortable guitar I've ever played was my friend's Parker Fly - but his neck doesn't come close to my Epi, except the fretboard. His fretboard was damn awesome, but then again I've never, EVER cleaned my fretboard properly.

I dunno about the ESP or Epiphone Goth Explorer, though. I'd venture that the ESP would be faster as ESP is mostly used by shredders/metal guitarists.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Is the Goth explorer's neck finished? If it is...that adds a little slowerness to it...
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by Narcissus262
I was wondering, which has a faster neck:

LOL. That's utter hogwash. Sales people in guitar stores and marketing types
are just thrilled you believe it though.

Whichever neck you happen to feel most comfortable with most likely is the neck
you'll think you can play fastest on.
Some necks are slightly faster than others (read: slightly). Thickness can come into play as thin necks are easier to navigate, ex: super strat. A lot of set neck guitars also have a sticky gloss finish as opposed to satin finished necks which are much smoother. Personally I find rosewood fretboards to be slightly stickier than maple as well.
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...