Hi, I have had a certain tone in my mind that I really really like for awhile. I can't really describe it because I'm not good at that sort of thing. I have a very ****ty amp, so I can't quite get any type of tone currently. That will al change soon when I get a Peavey classic 30. The link to this tone I love so much is here. Could someone who knows a bit about tone tell me what accessories (pickups, etc) I need to help me get this awesome overdriven tone? Obviously I would need a ts9, which I have. Will I just be able to plug into the classi 30 with the ts9 and get this tone?
well first of all it's in the hands. But maybe some 57 classic pickups or whatever the Gibson custom SG's have. lowish gain on the amp, and tube screamer maxed out.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
well before getting new pickups i suggest getting a better amp. ive learned that amps are more important in tone than pickups are.
Last.fm

"Music is a language of emotion. It informs our words with FEELING, and doesn't need to be learned.. It's visceral and innate" - Jason Silva
Yeah, I think it's good enough to get that tone. Yeah it's in the hands. Lol if you can't play no tone will save you. But that lick doesn't sound hard at all, and it just snarls like hell. It sounds like vintage pickups though, am I right?
So, Maybe some seymour duncan alcino II pro's and a tubescreamer will do the trick?
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't think the TS is necessary, TBH. The Classic 30 has some good OD on it. What kind of guitar do you have?

I almost agree. It can get raunchy, but I think the TS adds a nice bit of punch as well.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Ok thanks =D. I wouldn't play an entire song with that tone, that would be gay....

Well, I recorded a really nasty solo the other day with the ****ty amp, and I am a wizard with audacity and I made it sound close to that by looking at both of their sine waves in audacity. it took me quite awhile. The solo, sounded amazing with that tone. The first word that came to mind was "nasty". Thats really the reason I wanted it. Thanks for your help guys.
Ibanez sz320. - Just incase you haven't heard one, It's very similar to a les paul sound. It's mahogany, set neck. Mine weighs about 9 pounds.
I think an EQ pedal would be far more use than pickups in this particular instance.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
forsaknazrael wrote:
People forget the power of picking dynamics, though. Most of that "punch" can be "dialed in" from your fingers.

+1

You could have a JS1000 with a JSX Peavey amp but you still won't have Satch's fingers. Still your fingers are unique and therefore you'll have your own sound, but technique is essential. I was also considering the Classic 30, great amp really nice tones, amp before pick ups man and you picked a darn good amp
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)