hey all, i changed the strings on my dxmg, this weekend, and i had to do it real fast. so i just did it all at once. i know your not supposed to do that but...i did. the strings that were on there were 10`s at least. and i went back w/ 9`s. b4 i changed the strings the action was awful imo. the strings were real high off the neck. and the action was real stiff. when i changed them, the action became much better, and closer to the strings. ...k here is the question. can i leave the neck as is, and just play it and be happy, or do i have to readjust the truss rod because of changing the strings all at once.....btw i`ve never touched the truss rod, if that matters.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
guess its all good then.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
just turn the screws to the left and balance it out when you get it to the point where theres no buzz and it playes nice keep it there P.S. when you change string sizes i.e 10 to 9's it will sink back and from 10's to 11's it will pull foward floyds are bitches when it come to that dude.
if you like how if feel and it stay's in tune. don't fix what ain't broken.
If you're downgauging, you might need to loosen the truss rod a little. If you leave it as-is, fret buzz may develop. If your guitar has a precision neck, it's built to handle a certain amount of weight, and changing string gauges maybe set the weight unequal.

Edit:However, I'm speaking from logic and not from experience. If your guitar continues to play fine, don't do anything, of course.
SAVE THE JAZZ

"Remember, there are two kinds of people in the world:
People who finish things, and"
Last edited by ledhead67 at Jul 9, 2008,
Haha, you changed the gauge of the strings without adjusting anything and it is working fine? Your action with the 10's must have been AWFUL, not to mention your intonation. Anyways if the dxmg was setup for 9's and you are back to 9's it should be okay though your strings are probably a little stretched due to the 10s being on there. If it works okay then I guess you're okay.
thank you for responding, yea the action on this axe sucked big time until i changed out the strings now it plays sweet, the tone is a bit more nasal if you will, than it was w/ the 10`s on it but now the actionis low and butter smooth. no frett buzz as of yet so ill be leavin the truss rod alone....thanx all
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by Village_Idiot
Haha, you changed the gauge of the strings without adjusting anything and it is working fine? Your action with the 10's must have been AWFUL, not to mention your intonation. Anyways if the dxmg was setup for 9's and you are back to 9's it should be okay though your strings are probably a little stretched due to the 10s being on there. If it works okay then I guess you're okay.

9s --> 10s isn't going to make the guitar horrible to play. Things will be off, but there is a chance it would still be alright to play. Yes, it should be setup, but 'AWFUL' isn't a guarantee.

And I can't make sense of his 'strings' being stretched from the 10s thing at all.
Quote by mmjohn
yeah but if it was .10 to.52 it would make a big difference.

Oh, it could. But it may be 10 - 46 or w/e. Just saying it wouldn't be a, "Haha it's AWFUL!" situation.
Lol Everyone keeps giving him Floyd Rose tips when he asked a question about necks.

Honestly I've never had to adjust the truss rod on any guitar that isn't 30+ years old. I used to jump around quite a bit on string gauges on my Kimaxe Custom until I settled with 10-48's. Point is you're fine, don't worry about the truss rod.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]