So for graduation my friend got $250 and wants to buy an acoustic guitar. He wants to know for this much money, what guitar he could get and with what accessories (capo, slide, case, etc.). I don't really have much knowledge of acoustic guitars and their advantages and disadvantages, I do have one and it plays fine, but I figured I'd ask and see what advice the acoustic players on UG have for my friend. I know he wants a steel string, if that helps narrow it down some.
If he wants a slide, capo, and case, that might eat up $50-$75 of his budget...I can't recommend what kind of guitar to get in that sort of price range, but if he saves up I recommend the Epiphone Hummingbird...They are about $500 but I searched around my city area and found one at $280, case for $35. I know I'm not much help but tell your friend this: if he wants to be happy with his guitar, try to find your way into obtaining another $100 or $200...i'm sure the next few posters will be more helpful though
'never a victim,' the role model said,
bang-bang, the bad guy is dead,
always a rockstar on eMpty TV,
the lesson complete, now the child has needs.
slide costs 10 bucks a good capo costs 30, get a guitar that comes with a case, and it leaves you 200 bucks. however i suggest leaving the accessories until he knows how to play guitar.
Yeah I just talked to him and he says that he wants to spend $200 on the guitar itself and have $50 left over for accessories, so if you guys could help me help him find one in the $200 price range that'd be great.
For $200 he's gonna want something with a solid top. For accessories, assuming he's a beginner, he should set his sights on a capo, new set of strings, a set of picks, one of those tuner peg winding tools, and a tuner. He can invest in a slide, case, etc later once he's learned more and isn't on such a tight budget.

When spending $200 on a guitar I wouldn't even worry about a case, $200 guitars look better beat to hell anyways just shows how much time you've been putting into learning.

Guitar recommendations: $200
Solid top. I know there are a couple Epiphone models such as the DR-200S and AJ-200S with a solid top. If you go onto musicians friend and filter acoustic guitars in the 100-200 dollar range a few solid tops should come up. Make sure you stick with trusted companies, some companies like ibanez are usually big no no's.

Accessories:
tuner - $15
strings - $7-$10
Winder tool - $2
Capo - $15-$20

Make sure you're friend factors in sales tax too
Quote by theinnerpalm

Solid top. I know there are a couple Epiphone models such as the DR-200S and AJ-200S with a solid top.

I would recommend the Yamaha FG700S or FG700MS miles over those Epiphone models, unless the original poster can save up a bit more for the Hummingbird or Dove.

From what I've seen of the DR-200S and AJ-200S, I am not impressed. Really sloppy fit and finish - polyurethane globbed on so thickly that it was pooling at the seam between the neck and body and around the fretboard, and bare spots around the soundholes where they missed completely. I remember sticking one finger inside the soundhole of a DR-200S and the edges of the soundhole were absolutely ragged. Swiping my finger across the inside surface of the top, it felt like a piece of rough cut timber, like it had never seen a planer or piece of sandpaper ever in its life.

I don't know, maybe older ones don't have these problems, but I'd be very wary of the newer stuff rolling of their factory lines.

Having said that though, I totally agree with all the other advice you gave.
What the hell? What beginner buys a $30 capo?! I've been playing 8 years and my capos cost me £3 and £8,respectively.

I suggest you direct your friend to UG so he can gain some knowledge for himself?
Quote by sunshowers
I would recommend the Yamaha FG700S or FG700MS miles over those Epiphone models, unless the original poster can save up a bit more for the Hummingbird or Dove.

I was going to list that but for some reason only one finish was showing up on musicians friend and it was listing at 249.99 >< but @ gc it's still listing at 200... Everyone loves the FG700 series. My friend has the 720 and it plays like a charm. So yes, I would go with the yamaha as well.
Quote by tona_107
slide costs 10 bucks a good capo costs 30, get a guitar that comes with a case, and it leaves you 200 bucks. however i suggest leaving the accessories until he knows how to play guitar.

not necesarily. kyser quick change capo's that you see nearly every musician using cost about 10-12. i dont remember exactly
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
not necesarily. kyser quick change capo's that you see nearly every musician using cost about 10-12. i dont remember exactly

ok? do you live where i live? no i didn't think so, so how can you say a good capo doesn't cost thirty dollars for me. every music store i've been to in my area has capos for ten bucks and thirty bucks, the ten dollar ones are complete ****, and then there are the thirty dollar trigger capos and standard capos which will last a life time as long as you don't lose them. good for you that you can get one for 12 dollars.
Quote by _Tim_
What the hell? What beginner buys a $30 capo?! I've been playing 8 years and my capos cost me £3 and £8,respectively.

I suggest you direct your friend to UG so he can gain some knowledge for himself?

congratulations.
Quote by tona_107
ok? do you live where i live? no i didn't think so, so how can you say a good capo doesn't cost thirty dollars for me. every music store i've been to in my area has capos for ten bucks and thirty bucks, the ten dollar ones are complete ****, and then there are the thirty dollar trigger capos and standard capos which will last a life time as long as you don't lose them. good for you that you can get one for 12 dollars.

umm...ok *directs you to musiciansfriend.com and guitarcenter.com* even with shipping you'll get a good capo for less than 30.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I got a nice dunlop trigger for $15. Anyways no need to bicker over the price of a capo. honestly who cares?
haha craftsman does have excellent slides, my tech class made a guitar, the teacher used that exactly to play slide
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Quote by Natrone
umm...ok *directs you to musiciansfriend.com and guitarcenter.com* even with shipping you'll get a good capo for less than 30.

they don't ship to canada; not capos at least. i win.