Are you really able to get a different rangew of sounds from a tube amp then what you could get from a transistor amp. I am saving up to get a Bugera 333XL Amp Head that is all tube.
Yes. Tube amps run circles around solid state amps.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
ive had 3 solid state amps. and my tube drop kicks them all in the nuts. i love the tone, volume, clean, and distortion i get out of it. its a much more natural, smooth, warm tone out of mine. tubes ftw
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
Tubes rule. I have yet to hear a solid state that wasn't raspy and the louder you have it the raspier it gets. Now if you just play clean, then yeah an ss will do but not for any overdrive.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Quote by VGuitarist80
Are you really able to get a different rangew of sounds from a tube amp then what you could get from a transistor amp. I am saving up to get a Bugera 333XL Amp Head that is all tube.

It's all about getting the right amp that's voiced for what you want to play.
Not every tube amp is suited for every tone/player.
Yeah in my band we have two tube amps there old school jtm 45 type copies i think and the tone is very limited one tone only really but the tones good so we dont mind.
Quote by forsaknazrael

TUBE TUBE TUBE TUBE TUBE !

tube amps produce even numbered harmonics (naturally pleasing to the human ear) and SS produce odd numbered harmonics (natrually displeasing to the human ear)

the "incorrectly voiced" tube amp will still give you a better sound than a "correctly voiced" SS amp - thats what stomp boxes are for.

playing a valve amp is like having the cotton wool removed from your ears - especially in a band situation.

GET A TUBE AMP !!
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Do tube amps get a different range of sounds? No, not really. But, very generally, they'll be better at the genre they are geared towards than most any SS amp. If you want a huge range of sounds and effects and such, then a SS modeller is going to be what gives you the most choices, but you'll sacrifice the tone you'd get from a tube amp.

Very, very generally.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by hippyheaven1

tube amps produce even numbered harmonics (naturally pleasing to the human ear) and SS produce odd numbered harmonics (natrually displeasing to the human ear)

the "incorrectly voiced" tube amp will still give you a better sound than a "correctly voiced" SS amp - thats what stomp boxes are for.

playing a valve amp is like having the cotton wool removed from your ears - especially in a band situation.

GET A TUBE AMP !!
Except valves produce odd harmonics also, whatever.

bandwagons for the loss.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by forsaknazrael

+1.... being a tube guy, I still find that a tube amp is NOT always the right tool for the job! So consider your amp choice carefully based on what you want to accomplish with it, and the tones to do so.

As far as versatility in the tone, that depends on alot of other factors... what guitar you have, pedals, how the tone is dialed in...etc.

With the tube amps I have used, I have found a large variety of tone changes with using only ONE channel on the amp with ONE guitar and no pedal. It is all done with the volume, pick up selector, and tone knob on the guitar. Take the tube amp and turn it up to the "sweet spot" for tube saturation and/or past, then control the amount of gain and tone with your guitars volume, tone knob, and pick up selector.... in doing this you can get a whole variety of tones right at your finger tips. Not only can you do this with the settings on the guitar, but by how you attack the strings while playing!

here are some examples using tube amps varying tones using only the guitar to modify tone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvTSdH8H12A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLi8V3GXZR4
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Last edited by brianthemayan at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by MrCarrot

bandwagons for the loss.

Agreed. Bandwagoning and parroting are becoming huge fads here at UG.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^I like it.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I don't think tube amps are as versatile as SS as far as emulating a variety of genre's. If they were, some of us wouldn't have more than one. But what they do, they do well, if it's a quality amp.
Quote by MrCarrot
Hence why I changed my sig

nice sig
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by forsaknazrael

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrCarrot
Hence why I changed my sig

nice sig.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

If that happens I will end the world.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by hippyheaven1

GET A TUBE AMP !!

Wow. You're a moron. no amount of stompboxes is going to turn a Fender HRD into convincing metal machine.
Tube isn't always the answer, although, when it is, it's a pretty nice answer.