Page 1 of 2
after an encounter tonight in which a friend of mine was humiliated into being strip searched downtown by police and then have his car turned inside out (ultimately turning up nothing) i figured perhaps we could all use a refresher in civics so that it doesn't happen to you.

this is a video produced by the ACLU to teach you how to deal with cops in different scenarios. cops are well-trained in getting you to forfeit your rights without you even knowing it. that's why we have organizations like the ACLU to back us up. i'm pretty sure this has been posted before, but we need to know this stuff. it's 45 mins long, but it could save you jail time, so seriously. watch it for your own sake.

citizens guide to surviving police encounters

don't trust police. don't hate them, but do not trust them. they are agents of the state that are hired to catch you and prosecute you. they aren't on your side a lot of the time (though i do know a lot of cool cops).

enjoy! remember, we have a constitution for a reason (that would be to protect you from the state, not to use as toilet paper as some republicans think).

edit: WHEN VIEWING THIS VIDEO PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT IN THIS THREAD (OBVIOUSLY RELATING TO THE TOPIC). NEED TO KEEP IT BUMPED SO MORE PEOPLE CAN SEE IT.
#DTWD
Quote by InvaderTSN
Did your friend get a complimentary body cavity search?

i don't believe so, no. i wish he could call the ACLU but knowing the gestapo police in the city he was stopped in, they probably baited him into waiving his rights. the stuff in the video, remember, is much easier said than done. cops are very intimidating and persuasive. you get scared and confused and forget what's happening.

the best i can do, i feel, is just try to keep it from happening to anyone else. i want to show him this video too.
#DTWD
Who actually thinks the cops are on our side or ever have been? The judicial system is a multi-trillion dollar a year business, with more laws being passed every year to keep that green rolling in.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Does he know to just get the car/badge number and report it to the station?
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by Soul Power
Does he know to just get the car/badge number and report it to the station?

i don't know. but one of them had busted him awhile ago with a drinking ticket. i think that's why he called backup and searched (even though that still doesn't give him the right to search him. he already paid the ticket and everything).

another funny story (not really funny), immediately after the ticket someone shot up his car with a pellet gun. he called the cops to file a report. the cop pushed the ding in the windshield to inspect it and it spidered and cracked the entire windshield top to bottom. cop said nothing at all.
#DTWD
The badge number should be on the ticket. If he wants to, tell him to report it. If that cop was being a jerk to him, then he has probably been a jerk to many other citizens, and at the end of the year the reports on him will be counted up and will determine whether he stays with the force or not. Oh and was he under the influence?
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by Soul Power
The badge number should be on the ticket. If he wants to, tell him to report it. If that cop was being a jerk to him, then he has probably been a jerk to many other citizens, and at the end of the year the reports on him will be counted up and will determine whether he stays with the force or not. Oh and was he under the influence?

nope. not at all.

and yeah, i asked him about the badge numbers/names. he'll probably know they're on the ticket. he's got enough of them haha ... speeding violations, he's not a bad kid. he's one of the nicest, most selfless guys i know. that's why i was so enraged this happened to him.
#DTWD
ive been given **** by cops more times than i can count
around here, if your car is parked past ten pm, theres a good chance theyll pull up just to **** with you. if theres a girl in the car with you, off the bat they accuse you of being on drugs, or being a rapist.
chris rock also has a video on how to avoid the police
check it on youtube or something

but i do know what you mean
it really depends on the cop
some are really cool and chill
and there are some with a taser up their @$$
I have nothing unique or funny to put here.
Quote by AdmiralEmily
chris rock also as a video on how to avoid the police
check it on youtube or something

somehow i doubt it's as informative. i will though.
#DTWD
I prefer this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onNXaYh5r8E
I watched part of that, until that man stopped talking the first time. I know what i would do in those situtations. Say something like if i do or do not have anything it doesn't matter you don't have to right to search. Something similar to that, of course changed a lot but that is basically it.
he's already pulled over! he can't pull over any farther!

one of my favorite movies ever.
#DTWD
Cool. Thanks for the video man, it's got some good info.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Quote by Dimebag22
Cool. Thanks for the video man, it's got some good info.

haha, you're canadian. it doesn't apply to you at all (except the crossing borders part i suppose).
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
haha, you're canadian. it doesn't apply to you at all (except the crossing borders part i suppose).

Yeah, I know. My family owns a house in Arizona though, so it might come in useful when I go down there . It's kinda cool to see how the cops deceive you though.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
ah ok, cool.

and thanks guys. the ACLU deserves all the credit. god bless 'em (even if they do hate god )
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
i don't believe so, no. i wish he could call the ACLU but knowing the gestapo police in the city he was stopped in, they probably baited him into waiving his rights. the stuff in the video, remember, is much easier said than done. cops are very intimidating and persuasive. you get scared and confused and forget what's happening.

the best i can do, i feel, is just try to keep it from happening to anyone else. i want to show him this video too.

Unlucky.

But yeah I watched the entire video.

*cues The More You Know rainbow*
Just watched the whole thing. Very interesting. Hopefully I'll never need it, but its great stuff to know.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by ChordMonger
ive been given **** by cops more times than i can count
around here, if your car is parked past ten pm, theres a good chance theyll pull up just to **** with you. if theres a girl in the car with you, off the bat they accuse you of being on drugs, or being a rapist.

While the cops certainly aren't our best friends, give me a fucking break.
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

This video was very informative. Thank you for posting it. It took my civics class a month to go over all of the stuff in that 45 minutes.
Pretty cool video.

I'll have to remember the traffic stop one, since that's the only one I can REALLY see myself getting into.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I watched 38 minutes. Why???
I never carry drugs on me, or spray paint. I wasted my time :-/
I already knew most of that stuff, but the plain sight rule or some other things I had no idea of.

I'ppreciate that primusfan
Quote by Lead guitarist
I watched 38 minutes. Why???
I never carry drugs on me, or spray paint. I wasted my time :-/

you never know, man.
#DTWD
hey just curious. the kid rfused to let the cop have the keys, but what if the cop then says he wants to do a cavity search on the kid. the cop would say "please put your hands on the vehicle" he won't ask the kid if he minds if he does a cavity search on him. so how does he get out of it, i assume if the kid tries to pull away the cop would pull some bull**** like "oh you're resisting arrest i see" then he beats him to the ground.
O_O ...

what? a cop wouldn't just do a cavity search. i mean he'd need a sterile glove and all. why is this the second cavity search comment? they're not like ... common.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
enjoy! remember, we have a constitution for a reason (that would be to protect you from the state, not to use as toilet paper as some republicans think).
take your republican bashing and stuff it, Davey.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
take your republican bashing and stuff it, Davey.

in my ...? *giggles*
#DTWD
I read somewhere that the only three thing you ever need to say to a police officer are:
1) Your name
2) "Am I free to go?"
3) "I refuse to answer any questions without the presence of my lawyer."
I would throw in "I do not consent to any searches" as well. And that's it. Remember, police are not your friends.
Quote by primusfan
in my ...? *giggles*
that's where the part i quoted seems to have come from. seems an appropriate place for it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
the windows cracked and car locked thing are key i think. easy to forget, important to remember.
#DTWD
Cops suck for the most part. I had one cop give me a breathalizer, and I was just standing there with my freinds.

I also got kicked out of a Taco Bell like a dozen times by the same cop for bull**** reasons like disturbing the peace. I was just sitting there eating my food. The guy kicked out a lot of people who basically looked like stoners to him (long hair, T shirts, ect)
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
i love this video. Saved me from jail a few times.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Page 1 of 2