So, $500AUD later, and it could be mine! I've got it for a week, my guitar teacher has left it to me.

Please, I don't want anyone but AUSTRALIANS telling me about the price. Australian's get ripped off.

Personally, I love the sound of it, but what does UG think? Will I get sick of it after a while?
They had the LV (The new version of the TFs) halfstack at my local shop, just another hybrid amp, wasnt anything spectacular, wasnt anything terrible, if you like it, go for it, but theres a good chance youll get bored of it if you hear some of laneys full valve amps.

Maybe have a look around for the LCs and VCs.
Late reply I know - TF300s have a great clean channel compared to other solid-states in the price range. I'm not a fan of distortion on the amp, just use pedals through clean channel
Quote by beckyjc
They had the LV (The new version of the TFs) halfstack at my local shop, just another hybrid amp, wasnt anything spectacular, wasnt anything terrible, if you like it, go for it, but theres a good chance youll get bored of it if you hear some of laneys full valve amps.

Maybe have a look around for the LCs and VCs.

funny you should mention that, i just picked up a VC15 for $500 AUD second hand. With a good OD is does a great job getting those plexi and jcm800 style tones, sounds good quiet and sounds even better with the master volume cranked and its the perfect volume for playing with a drummer.
i've used the TFX2 combo amp. distortion was good, it had plenty of gain. cleans were alright.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Well, just letting everyone know that I bought it (a while back now, aswell!).

I absolutely love it. The clean channel is good, but a bit sterile without reverb. I love the drive channels (channel 2 is higher gain), and when you crank 'em it livens up so much. With drive channel 1, you can even get a dirty blues sound by turning the gain right down and volume right up.

I bet that most of the people that have tested the drive channels and not liked it had stood right in front of the speaker (or didn't have the 'vibe' button engaged - without it, the distortion channels sound like a bee hive)... which sounds less than desirable - really grainy. I face it away from me when I play, and it sounds a lot better.

After having this amp for several months; having jam sessions; and band practices, I can vouch for it 100 percent. I've played with a mate running his American Deluxe Tele and custom Fender Strat (JB) into a Mesa Nomad head with an amazing Avatar cab, and the Laney held up incredibly well - and sounded better for higher gain stuff.

Keep in mind that it came with a Celestion G12H-80 inside (obviously, not stock), which gives it a lot more bass and mid-tone, so it probably sounds worse with the stock speaker.

I love this amp.
Quote by Diamond Dave
funny you should mention that, i just picked up a VC15 for $500 AUD second hand. With a good OD is does a great job getting those plexi and jcm800 style tones, sounds good quiet and sounds even better with the master volume cranked and its the perfect volume for playing with a drummer.

The VC15 sounds NOTHING and in NO CIRCUMSTANCES will EVER sound like a Plexi or JCM800... nowhere close.
BGSM, glad you like the amp, I agree with you about the "vibe" switch. One way to get around the "sterility" of the clean channel is to pair it with a delay pedal - I use a Boss DD-6. Here's a vid of what it sounds like with my band.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=9k4yc1R8UOg
Quote by Pott
The VC15 sounds NOTHING and in NO CIRCUMSTANCES will EVER sound like a Plexi or JCM800... nowhere close.

If I remember correctly it's possible to mod a VC15 into a JCM800...? Searchbar it, I've seen a thread about the place on that same subject.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
the preamp section on the vc15 is pretty close to the jcm800's preamp. but then there's a lot of other differences like the transformers and the entire poweramp section ha.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Pott

i beg to differ, after i replaced the tubes in mine when i crank the volume and get the power amp working hard with the OCD out the front in HP mode you can get quite similar tones out of it.

Obviously a 15 watt combo amp with a 10" speaker isnt gonna sound like a 100watt head on a 4x12 but considering the former cost me approximately a 6th of the cost the latter would have and its enough for me to jam with mates and cut through the mix with a drummer, i'd say its quite a workable alternative.
Quote by AlanHB
BGSM, glad you like the amp, I agree with you about the "vibe" switch. One way to get around the "sterility" of the clean channel is to pair it with a delay pedal - I use a Boss DD-6. Here's a vid of what it sounds like with my band.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=9k4yc1R8UOg

Cool song! Going by that, you're right about pairing it with a the delay, livens it up a lot.

You might be interested in hearing a song I recorded yesterday with the amp. It's pretty much just an improv over a few riffs I've came up with (and some I improvised aswell), with a few mistakes here and there. I recorded the bass with the TF300 as well, and EQ'd it in Kristal. Just to show the versatility, I also plan to use the amp in my newly formed hardcore band, it sounds fantastic for it.
Quote by soulflyV
I just bought one of these second hand today, $350.

Just wondering, I'm pretty sure it's a tube amp, right?

I heard something about letting the amp cool down after use or something like that. What exactly do I do? Amp nub here

the TF's are hybrid amps, so as far as i know they just have a tube somewhere in the preamp, you dont have to worry about letting it cool down or anything
Quote by soulflyV
I just bought one of these second hand today, $350.

Just wondering, I'm pretty sure it's a tube amp, right?

I heard something about letting the amp cool down after use or something like that. What exactly do I do? Amp nub here

Good price, good choice!

It shouldn't really matter, but for the dist. channels it's good to wait a minute before playing, since the pre-amp tube is warming up.