Couple of question people may know...

When play me new (older) 94' MIJ strat with texas special pickups, it sounds quiter on same volume as my (2004) squier fat strat (both are on neck pickup... so not using humbucker). Any reason why this may be? I thought if anything tx specials are meant to be overwound, hence maybe tiny bit louder and fatter.

Second query, wanting to coil tap a 'duncan designed' humbucker found on pickups.
Anyone done this before? Was thinking rather than a swtich to coil tap, just rewiring one so its permanently a single coil (yes, this sounds silly - but i have a double humbucking squier tele f-hole thing, which i wouldn't mind to get a single coil tone out of the neck p/up).

Cheers... hope thats not too vague
Sounds like you want to split the coils, not tap them.

Open your guitar up, and see how many wires come from the pickup. If you've got a total of five, including the ground, you can split the pickup. I've got some HB102s in a box somewhere, and they're splittable. Just bear in mind though, that splitting does NOT give you a singlecoil, and it does NOT give you a singlecoil tone. The magnet is in the wrong position, and it's not wound the same.
Thanks for info.

I was going to ask what splitting will sound like, if not single coil sound, but then I guess the only way to really know is open it up and have a go...
Humbuckers usually sound 'thinner' in split mode, as opposed to full-humbucking. They don't have the output or bite of a true singlecoil though, and none of the brightness, so I don't really get the fuss. If you definitely want a singlecoil tone in that humbucker route, then have a look at some dual-mode pickups. They usually have either a true singlecoil as the south coil, or have a full singlecoil stacked under a humbucker.

Have a look at these:

Seymour Duncan SH-3
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh3_stag_mag/

Seymour Duncan SHPR-1
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/prails_shpr1/
Those do look good.

Putting two SHPR-1's would probably cost more than the guitar!
Might take a look at the SH-3, or similar.
Quote by TreeSurgery
Couple of question people may know...

When play me new (older) 94' MIJ strat with texas special pickups, it sounds quiter on same volume as my (2004) squier fat strat (both are on neck pickup... so not using humbucker). Any reason why this may be? I thought if anything tx specials are meant to be overwound, hence maybe tiny bit louder and fatter.
check the distance between the pickup and the strings.
pickups are quieter, the farther they are from the strings.
maybe you need to adjust the height.
Texas Specials should definitely be louder than stock Squire pickups.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.