Hey there everyone,

My first problem is about my slap bass technique. When I start slaping my thumb is nice and parallel to the strings, but as soon as i pop the thumb instantly tilts up 60 degrees and then just stays there. I,ve been slapping for about 6 months now and only just noticed it. Every time I try to fix it, as soon as I need to pop a note on the D string my hand tilts to the samp position.

My slap bass technique is like fleas I think but I want to develop the "slap through the string" technique but can't due to the problem i have above. So any tips would be very much appreciated.

Secondly, I want to improve my theroy.

Rightnow when I practice I spend about a 45 minutes going over one notes major scale, its modes, its pentatonic, harmonic and natural minior, blues, minor and seventh scales in all of thats notes positions on the fret board before the 12th fret. And I dont what the next step is.

Few, thats all, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
the possition of the thumb is not that important as long as u can thump the strings acuratly. i have my thumb perpendicular to the strings, doesnt really affects my playing.
i dont tottally understand ur scale question.
I would go for some Arpeggios. You can make some killer basslines using arpeggios, as well as stay more "in tune" harmonically with a guitar part by outlining the chords arpeggio on the bass.
paralell is good !!!! dont listen to jb reborn what ya got to do is slap pop ,slap pop really slowly watching ur hand to make sure it doesnt move and it will eventually get used to being in that position
Yes, slow it down a lot and look at your hand, making sure it stays parallel. For the theory stuff, if you're truly doing that, it's an incredible start, absolutely incredible. Have you done that with all twelve keys?
perpendicular is passable, but parallel is better. try to use less hand movement while popping, the hand has to move, but away from the strings, not across them, if you know what I'm saying.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
it doesn't matter whether you play thumb-up or thumb-down. personally i prefer thumb down because it feels alot more comfortable and it reduces my hand movements thus saving energy and i end up playing faster
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Are you practicing the scales according to patterns, or notes?
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by Drmckool
it doesn't matter whether you play thumb-up or thumb-down. personally i prefer thumb down because it feels alot more comfortable and it reduces my hand movements thus saving energy and i end up playing faster

thumb down is bad technique...http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yioVmqlt2Fk

if ya dont belive me mark king will show you.. it does depend how low down ur thumb is if its slightly then thats fine but to low is bad technique.
Last edited by bass is bestest at Jul 9, 2008,
"Are you practicing the scales according to patterns, or notes?"

Patterns and when i play a note I say it out loud, but as I work my way around the circle of fifths I'm learning the notes better, so on my next lap of the circle of fifths I'll try and do it by notes.

But with the slaping I find that when I sit down to practice my slap, to get my thumb to be parrallel I have to have my elbow hang out way past the bridge as I am quite tall (bout 6 ft 4) and makes playing my bass more challenging, so any ways to improve this (other than standing, ill start to do that now ) would also be appreciated.

Oh and I'm only doing One key per day, so not quite the effort some of you guys thought i was doin
Last edited by brianmoorebass at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by bass is bestest
thumb down is bad technique...http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yioVmqlt2Fk

if ya dont belive me mark king will show you.. it does depend how low down ur thumb is if its slightly then thats fine but to low is bad technique.

who says it's bad technique, i didn't hear one clip in that video of him saying "thumb down is a bad technique or thumb down is wrong". Give me a ****ing break, we don't all have to do every bass technique the same.

My thumb is really low by the way put your hand down flat on your table comfortably spread out and that's how low my thumb is, never had any problem with it and i'm not going to change my technique
I shot JR

^ I think he worded it badly. It is not bad technique. The only way I can think a technique can be bad is if it hurts you phisically, like a developing Carpal Tunnel and the like.
What he was trying to say (I think) is that it is not the most efficient of techniques.

Don't take it harshly, but I think he didn't use the correct words and well you just responded.
Quote by watchingmefall
^ I think he worded it badly. It is not bad technique. The only way I can think a technique can be bad is if it hurts you phisically, like a developing Carpal Tunnel and the like.
What he was trying to say (I think) is that it is not the most efficient of techniques.

Don't take it harshly, but I think he didn't use the correct words and well you just responded.

i'm very Defensive about thumb down because i think that it's a reasonable technique and i get a little over protective of it
I shot JR

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Getting protective over a technique is like living vicariously through a sport's team... it's just not needed The only thing we should be protective about is the right to play how we want.

ok then i re-word. i don't like people saying that i can't or shouldn't play the way i play
I shot JR

Quote by Drmckool
who says it's bad technique, i didn't hear one clip in that video of him saying "thumb down is a bad technique or thumb down is wrong". Give me a ****ing break, we don't all have to do every bass technique the same.

My thumb is really low by the way put your hand down flat on your table comfortably spread out and that's how low my thumb is, never had any problem with it and i'm not going to change my technique

XDXD fine then dont....im not gunna try to change the way u play bass im assuming ur self taught??
Quote by bass is bestest
XDXD fine then dont....im not gunna try to change the way u play bass im assuming ur self taught??

my Slap Technique is self taught yes, the rest of my technique i learned in lessons and in my old high school's music class.

however; all my instructors said that though my technique was unorthodox it worked well and would not cause me any trouble ever to play my way as opposed to other ways. i started slapping thumb-up but i changed my technique to thumb down so my hand would move less and i could play harder for longer.

i can do thumb up easily i just don't
I shot JR

Last edited by Drmckool at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by Drmckool
my Slap Technique is self taught yes, the rest of my technique i learned in lessons and in my old high school's music class.

however; all my instructors said that though my technique was unorthodox it worked well and would not cause me any trouble ever to play my way as opposed to other ways. i started slapping thumb-up but i changed my technique to thumb down so my hand would move less and i could play harder for longer.

i can do thumb up easily i just don't

well thats the thing about learning when u play thumb up ur wrist will get used to it the reason u find it comfortable thumb down is cause the human hand is always in that position thumb up looks alot nicer and u can get a nicer tone all it takes is practice.
Quote by bass is bestest
well thats the thing about learning when u play thumb up ur wrist will get used to it the reason u find it comfortable thumb down is cause the human hand is always in that position thumb up looks alot nicer and u can get a nicer tone all it takes is practice.

i know i can get a different tone but when i play slap it is usually a really quick fill so it's easier to play thumb down. when i'm double thumping i go to thumb up and when i want that marcus miller/Larry Graham slap tone i go thumb up
I shot JR

Quote by bass is bestest
fair enough but shouldnt you allways want that sorta tone when slap bassing??

no i like the thumb-down tone on my Warwick. i also pop with both my index finger and middle finger (separately, so i can pop faster) when playing thumb down
I shot JR

What I don't get about what you're saying about thumb down is about popping. To me, popping in the thumb up is just a flick of the wrist and the motion makes sense. With thumb down it's moving my whole hand to pop the string. I guess thumb down would make sense for doing a lot of popping in a row, but thumb up makes sense for most traditional slapping. I'm just trying to get some kind of idea about the advantages, especially when you've said you actually prefer the thumb down to the thumb up.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
What I don't get about what you're saying about thumb down is about popping. To me, popping in the thumb up is just a flick of the wrist and the motion makes sense. With thumb down it's moving my whole hand to pop the string. I guess thumb down would make sense for doing a lot of popping in a row, but thumb up makes sense for most traditional slapping. I'm just trying to get some kind of idea about the advantages, especially when you've said you actually prefer the thumb down to the thumb up.

popping in thumb down is the same as in thumb up really. when you use the two finger alternating technique for popping with thumb down the pop is essentially all in the fingers and not the wrist though, same desired effect different method. i really just use thumb down because it's a quicker switch from finger style for me. then again i don't play in the true thumb down way. my thumb is alot more parallel than it is perpendicular to the string.

you are correct though, it does make sense for alot of popping

it's really hard for me to explain the advantages i tried to do this with my friend who plays thumb up and i really just had to show him for him to get why i like it.

let's just put it this way when i slap i don't go for the traditional funky slap sound i go for more of an aggressive slap sound
I shot JR