I am looking at buying a multi effects pedal. I've looked at a number and will probably buy off ebay or offline but I'm not sure which one to buy. I can't figure out whether to buy:
*Boss ME-20
*Boss ME-50
*Vox Tonelab
*POD Floorpod/X3

I'm probably going to buy a used one and I mainly want it to play gigs and for a bit of mucking around. I'm into Alt/Modern/Classic Rock, Metal and Blues. I'm leaning towards the GT-8 because of the sheer number of effects (which is what im more concerned about, not amp modelling)...What should I buy???
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
I've got the ME-50 and I gotta say I love it. I use it for everything. I watch tv with it and everything. It's so simple to use. The effects really stand out with it. They sound so good. That's my vote. Three different chorus', Flanger, Phaser, Rotary and a ton of others. The wah sounds really good too. I'd go and try one out if you could.
Quote by paranoideyes
introduce her to the back of your hand.
Quote by saphrax
Remember kids.
Backhand = Discipline
Palm hand = Abuse

i have a digitech rp80 thing.. its really muddy and not in your face enough, with a big amplifier, and it high volumes it clips hella lot,

but if you're using a small amp and at not so loud levels... uhh its okay.. lol

I know a guy with one of those pod live things, it sounds cool, but he says it takes hours to get the sounds you want in.
yeh the issue I have with POD is its really complicated and its focused on modelling rather then effects...I haven't played a line 6 pod but I used the effects on the spider and they were...uninspiring and are supposed to be similar...iunno...
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
The Boss GT8 has an even steeper learning curve than the POD.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Yeh...I think since it's my first multi imma buy the ME-50. For $200 it seems like a lotta bang for my buck and i've already got the power supply for my DS-1 which I can use. (But since I'm getting a boss multi it's probably got a DS-1 built in so its time to sell)
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Multi effects really are a massive waste of money !!

buy some stomp boxes instead, youll thank me in a few years - honestly!!
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
I totally agree stomp's will give you a better tone...but i really don't understand a lot of these effects and a multi is agreat way to get used to them. Plus 3 (Cheap) stomps = 1 multi.
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Go with the POD. It does about everything and does it pretty well. You'll be surprised at what amp modeling can actually do. At first it was about the fx for me to, but honestly amp models and OD is what I use about 90% of the time now. For me:

Mesa dual rectifier
Fender champ
Soldano
AC 30
Hi-Watt

Was worth the cost of the whole thing. These are outstanding amp models and through a Valve Jr out toned my Peavey transtube and Vox DA 20 (not to mention the SS amps my friends have). The only amps that interest me now are the +$1500 heads. Great rig on the cheap.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
the vox tonelab is a super nice peice............but if you can afford that you might as well get a new amp. stomp boxes are a better solution
The ME-50 is extremly easy to use. The tones are great- you don't need modelling to get good tones- and if you know how to dial in the effects, everything sounds good. The difference between the ME-50 and the Line 6 is that ME is an effects processor, whereas the Pod is a modelling unit. And the ME is much easier to use than a Pod.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
My only experience is with the new Digitech RP line. A new RP250 is $150.

I don't know what these other pedals have but the things l like about mine are:

new AudioDNA2 chip
24 bit processing
Wah
Amp models
headphone jack
USB for PC etc
XEdit Software for changes and new patches
Mixer or Stereo amp output
cast metal
user programable presets
Check out the Zoom G9 it dosent have all the bells and wissles of the POD but it sounds really really good, not that the POD sounds like crap but i prefer the tone of the G9.
i say it beats out Boss any day for sure.
I like the Boss multieffects better than the single effects tough, especially the ME-50, i guese cause the boss single stomp boxes arent much to brag about.
But if your ganna chose between line 6 and boss theres no competition, line 6 wins straight out.
If you want a less thinner tone out of your multieffects i suggest getting the ZOOM G9, or the vox tonelab, that is if your a tone snob, if not the line 6 is fine.
I think for practice, especially headphone practice, multi-effects can be a convenient and versatile tool. But I think you may be disappointed for considering these tools for gigging.

IMHO a nice tube amp and separate stomp boxes sound ssooooo much better, especially if you are considering gigging.

I bought the pocket pod recently for headphone practice. It is an acceptable tone compromise for headphone practice, but it doesn't sound so great when played through speakers or my amp. It is fine for what it is, and yes, multifx & amp modelling has improved over the years, but there is still a vast chasm between the responsiveness and tone of a tube amp + pedals and what is achievable through multifx & digital models.

If you must get one for practice, my advice is to get a small one, since the more elaborate & expensive units aren't worth it in my opinion -- you may as well save your money for a nicer amp and pedals.
Quote by TheKaiser77
I like the Boss multieffects better than the single effects tough, especially the ME-50, i guese cause the boss single stomp boxes arent much to brag about.
But if your ganna chose between line 6 and boss theres no competition, line 6 wins straight out.
If you want a less thinner tone out of your multieffects i suggest getting the ZOOM G9, or the vox tonelab, that is if your a tone snob, if not the line 6 is fine.

that makes no sense at all............
^I meant i like the Boss multi-effects better than there single stomboxes, i just tought they sounded better than there single effects units.
Quote by TheKaiser77
^I meant i like the Boss multi-effects better than there single stomboxes, i just tought they sounded better than there single effects units.

if you like digital as opposed to analog. i will take analog.
^well not all digital pedals where made the same.
and not all anolog pedals where made the same, have you ever played a DOD Grunge?
Its analog and its just pure ****, id take a line 6 distorto anytime of the day over that pedal.
Or i could turn it around and say screw the Digitech Distortion Factory, and thumbs up for the Metal Muff.
Analog is not king my friend. Its just a diffrent method of tryin to achievea good tone.
In this case i think BOSS anolog is **** and there digital stuff is better, thats why i said i like there multi-effects better.
Id still take the Line 6 PODXT live over the boss, but if it was just boss id go all digital.
If your not spending 100 to 200 per anolog unit on stomp boxes, chances are there not ganna be much better than digital, and who the hell has that kind of money anyways.
Last edited by TheKaiser77 at Jul 10, 2008,
chill out...........i like analog. i don't play grunge. i've had a pod xt and did not like it. thats just me. buy what you like . your the one who has to play it.
I'm not after professional peals with Uber super special sweet tone, just something to play with, muck around and maybe do some small gigs...
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3