i've been studying some music theory and stumbled upon the circle of fifths.

now i took a song which basicly consists of power chords which aren't major or minor. so what's the best way to figure out the key of the song?

here's my try. i marked the most dominant sounding chords with a *

verse:
E5 - D5 - E5 - A5*
E5 - D5 - E5 - G5*
E5 - D5 - E5 - C5*

chorus:
D5 - E5* - C5*
D5 - A5* - D5 - G5*

so with the circle of fifths at my side i looked for a key that includes the marked chords. after some sliding around i found the E minor key to fit. also the song starts and ends with an E5 chord so im pretty sure it's in E minor.

but the D minor key also fits and because i don't know if the chords of the song are major or minor i can't really tell for sure

any tips/advice on how to analyze power chord songs?
note: the song is All We Know
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
I would say that E minor sounds good for that chord progression. Are there any lead lines or melodies being played over the progression? Sometimes even vocal melodies can help you tell what key the song is in. Also what key a song is in is not that big of a deal as long what you play sounds good. Sometimes only thinking about a song in terms of what key it is in can be creatively restricting.
a power chord is made up of the root (the letter) and the fifth (hence the 5)
so, the notes we have in E5 are E and B.
if we find out the notes of all the powerchords, we should be able to determine what key it is in.
E,B,D,A,E,G,C
if it were a major key, it could either be Cmaj (relative Amin) or Gmaj (relative Emin) since the sone begins and end with E5, that usually means its in an E key. In this case, meaning its in Eminor... i believe
I'm pretty sure it is either G major or E minor. Those are parallel chords, so you decide yourself.
Quote by Seryaph
I would say that E minor sounds good for that chord progression. Are there any lead lines or melodies being played over the progression? Sometimes even vocal melodies can help you tell what key the song is in. Also what key a song is in is not that big of a deal as long what you play sounds good. Sometimes only thinking about a song in terms of what key it is in can be creatively restricting.

the other guitar plays E5 - F#5 - G5 in the chorus, which could be in E minor. it also starts with E5 so it's the obvious choice. thanks for the advice! i've only looked at the rhythm part so far.

Quote by Winsbury
a power chord is made up of the root (the letter) and the fifth (hence the 5)
so, the notes we have in E5 are E and B.
if we find out the notes of all the powerchords, we should be able to determine what key it is in.
E,B,D,A,E,G,C
if it were a major key, it could either be Cmaj (relative Amin) or Gmaj (relative Emin) since the sone begins and end with E5, that usually means its in an E key. In this case, meaning its in Eminor... i believe

so the fifth interval of the power chord has to be in key too? or is it just a hint to narrow down possible keys?
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo