Well, the family now has a bass, and seeing as my two brothers barely ever play their musical instruments and my parents aren't very good with the stringed instruments, I am 'claiming' it as my own. So before I start on my bass quest, I thought I'd make sure I learn it with the best technique possible so as to assure that I don't have problems later on.

So basically what I was wondering is, how much is bass different from guitar and how much of Freepower's lessons can I just apply directly to bass-playing as well? Obviously the important things like making sure you're not tense while you're playing would apply, but I was wondering how much neck grip and stuff like that applies to bass. For example, the plucking hand technique would be a lot different to the picking hand technique I'd imagine.

So yeah, if someone can just point me in the direction of a guide to good bass technique, that'd be great. Then I can make sure I'm learning with the best technique possible, and who knows? It might help to improve my guitar technique.

(Yes this thread is pretty much directed at you Freepower. )
sig goes here
You should read the bass FAQ in the bass forum, this thread should probably be there too.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
I taught myself to play guitar after learning bass, so yeah - it will up your skills.

I find that apart from the lack of a pick, bass and guitar are quite the same... at least on the basics.

You don't really grip the neck when you're bassing, when you're going at the strings, your right arm should be resting against the body...
...if you apply a small amount of pressure there, the neck will push itself onto your left hands fingers.

Unlike a lot of guitarists seem to do on their guitars... don't have your left hand thumb popping up above the neck - that REALLY restricts movement... which is kinda important, with the massive-arse frets you'll have.

Keep that thumb low on the neck... lowww...

...that's like, the most important stuff, off the top of my head.
No doubt anything I missed, someone else will know.

Hope I helped,

Rob
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
You should read the bass FAQ in the bass forum, this thread should probably be there too.

Eh, never thought of that one. I went to the Guitar And Bass Basics forum, but didn't find anything there. Also did a brief search for bass technique but didn't find anything. I kinda assumed that in the Bass forum they just talk about awesome bass players and stuff. I figured we were the only forum that cares about technique. O.o

Alright Freepower, I'll keep that in mind. Anyone got a link to something like Freepower's stuff for the right hand but for bass?
sig goes here
Playing bass is pretty much like playing guitar with waaayyy bigger frets and the strings are spaced apart more. Just play it like an ordinary guitar.
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by Skater901
Eh, never thought of that one. I went to the Guitar And Bass Basics forum, but didn't find anything there. Also did a brief search for bass technique but didn't find anything. I kinda assumed that in the Bass forum they just talk about awesome bass players and stuff. I figured we were the only forum that cares about technique. O.o

Alright Freepower, I'll keep that in mind. Anyone got a link to something like Freepower's stuff for the right hand but for bass?

The bass forum talks about technique, gear, buying basses, bassists, songs to learn... everything like that. I think its the place where you can find the best answer on this sort of thing, because all the bassists congregate there.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.