I currently own a MIM Stratocaster, and recently I tried to put on the GHS Boomers (TNT, which is a Thick / Thin set) on the guitar. The bridge was constantly bending until I decided to take them off / loosen the strings. I never use the tremolo, so I was wondering if it would be beneficial to block the tremolo or replace the bridge all together. I know the bridges in the MIM strats aren't of the highest quality. Any opinions / comments? I really would like to use the heavier gauge strings.
yes, put more springs to keep the bridge down. be careful though. i did this and i wasn't used to the bridge not moving so when i went for a huge SRV bend. BAM! popped the e and b string.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Last edited by Sakattack75 at Aug 2, 2008,
Can I replace the springs with stronger ones? I really don't know much about modifying the bridge. I'm not really sure how many I should add.
The bridge in the MIM is not low quality. You just need to simply set up the guitar for those strings. My guess is the move the middle spring over one slot towards the thick string side and screw the claw of the bridge about a couple of turns tighter into the wood. Then you'll have to re intonate the guitar withe the saddle screws again.
Good luck!
i can use 11s with 3 springs. don't make a huge gauge switch. gradually build your hand strength then keep bumping up. i'd say 11s are the limite for metal.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.