So, I've decided that it's tme to get rid of my old nooby equipment and buy some mid-range gear. I'm *hopefully* going to get around $625 from selling what I have. The rest I will be able to make at my part time job, which pulls in about $450 a month. So let's just try and keep the budget around the $1400 area for now. And no, I will not buy used equipment. Anything I buy I'm planning on keeping for the next 6 years or so at least.

So let me define what I'm going for. I play alot of metalcore, but appreciate the ability to get a warmer/cleaner tone to play anything like jazz/blues/classic rock. So I need from mind-blowing distortion to sparkling cleans. I like to be able to tweak my tone alot, so an EQ pedal is almost a must. I prefer my "metal" tone to be pretty bassy on the low notes, but have alot of attack on the higher notes.

I'm looking for a guitar with alot of sustain, good stock pickups, with either a tune-o-matic or string through bridge. I want an amp (SS or Tube, I don't care) that is high gain, has nice cleans, and is loud enough to gig with at small shows without micing through a PA. It doesn't matter if it's a combo or stack. As for effects, I'm probably going to need a multi-effects board. I like to ply with a ton of subtle effects, like chorus/reverb/wah/flanger plus overdrive and/or distortion. I don't have the money to go out and buy a ton of pedals, so...

So if you didn't want to read the wall of text, I need a guitar, amp, and multi-effects board for under $1400. I'm assuming guitar center will love me enough to give me free cables/guitar case.

Here's what I've been considering:
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
B-52 AT-112
DigiTech GNX3000
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II [Heavily Modded]
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Last edited by Afyum at Jul 9, 2008,
I reckon ull benifit from a marshall AVT 150 or 275 amp, whether its a combo or stack, hey have 4 channels and built in effects that arnt at al bad, Ive had an AVT 150 stack for 2 years and i love it, i underated at first but F**K me can it deliver! Epiphone back beautys seem to have good reviews on them, and since i have one i know ull benifit from it! check out the reviews on equipment and see what u can find.
---------------------------
Main gear
Prs Custom 22
Gibson LP Junior
Marshall DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12
Trex OD, MXR Super Comp
Korg Pitch Black, MXR Carbon Copy.
PedalTrain 2 (soft case)
Not the greatest of budgets... I think a Peavey Valveking 212, an Ibanex tube screamer (TS 808), an EQ pedal (i know **** all about them), and this killer guitar;

- $699

Heres a link to the peavey valveking - $600

Leaves you with $100 to buy an EQ pedal or a tube screamer.
I don't like the sound of marshall amps. And those ones are quite expensive. I don't like that les paul either. EMG's are for metal. They don't do clean well. What about what I have been looking at?
Guitars:
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Afyum at Jul 9, 2008,
I know the Digitech GNX3000 is good for gigging and can do loads of effects and tones but I will say it does metal tones the best and not jazz, OD or clean sounds very well. Or I may just not know how to tweek for those tones because I don't use them.

Huh, I thought they discontinued the GNX3000 and now it's the RP500 that they are pushing.

I don't think that B-52 amp will cut it live with a drum kit. At least look into something with two 12's.

BTW, good luck with GC hooking you up with free stuff.
Quote by Bertallica
I don't think that B-52 amp will cut it live with a drum kit. At least look into something with two 12's.

Really? My 50w all-tube amp I have now does way more then enough. If I push the volume much past 3, it completley drowns out the drummer. And the B-52 is 60w.
Guitars:
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Afyum
Really? My 50w all-tube amp I have now does way more then enough. If I push the volume much past 3, it completley drowns out the drummer. And the B-52 is 60w.

Wow, well lucky you. I've never used anything less than about 100wts and my drummer would drown me out, so I started just going through our PA system, so I didn't have to lug around an amp and had plenty of volume on tap. Then again, I've never used a full tube amp and my drummer plays so hard that he's constantly breaking new sticks. I don't know how is drum heads make it out alive sometimes.
Last edited by Bertallica at Jul 9, 2008,
you should spend more of your budget on a decent amp, maybe a fender hot rod deluxe, and i think with the money spare you could get a MIM strat or tele, im not quite sure how much that'd cost you in dollars, but a multi fx pedal like a zoom G1 wouldnt cost too much and you can do all sorts with them
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Edgey_15
Not the greatest of budgets... I think a Peavey Valveking 212, an Ibanex tube screamer (TS 808), an EQ pedal (i know **** all about them), and this killer guitar;

- $699

Heres a link to the peavey valveking - $600

Leaves you with $100 to buy an EQ pedal or a tube screamer.

A Valveking is a pretty good idea, but I would say get a 1x12 then swap the tubes and speaker. I would get a different guitar than that though, EMG's aren't known for being great jazz or blues pickups.

I would get something more like this, as it would be more versatile and able to cover all of those genres with a Tubescreamer or other OD such as this.

You could then get a cheap EQ like a Dano Fish and Chips for about $30, or stretch you budget a wee bit for an MXR 6 Band EQ at $80.

Guitar: $700
Amp: $550
OD: $100
EQ: $30-100

Total: $1380-1430.

That's what I would do anyway.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Last edited by polaroidvision at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by Afyum
And no, I will not buy used equipment. Anything I buy I'm planning on keeping for the next 6 years or so at least.

I've stopped reading right here. What's wrong with used gear? What prevents it from lasting 6 years? I have a guitar that's 15 years old and it plays like a dream every time i pick it up. And used amps are going to bring you the best bang for your buck 99% of the time.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Afyum
I don't like the sound of marshall amps. And those ones are quite expensive. I don't like that les paul either. EMG's are for metal. They don't do clean well. What about what I have been looking at?

If you don't want EMG's, there's also the Prophecy GX, with Gibson Dirty Fingers pups.
Quote by Afyum

LOL, sorry I completely ignored everything you said when I posted .

That guitar looks nice, haven't played it so can't really comment, but seems great for the price from the specs, and that inlay is awesome!

The amp looks pretty good too, I haven't tried one of those either, but I've heard them referred to as the poor mans Mesa, which can only be a good thing.

I would try and discourage you from multi-effects, as I think you'd be happier in the long run getting some nice individual stomp-boxes. But your choice I suppose., and Digitech are pretty good in the multi-effect market.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
For an amp I recommend a Randall RG50TC. I can get pretty good clean tones out of it if you crank the **** out of the clean level and about 12 o'clock on the master volume.

The overdrive channel is also great and the amp has built in reverb.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Afyum
And no, I will not buy used equipment. Anything I buy I'm planning on keeping for the next 6 years or so at least.

What's buying used gear have to do with how long it's going to last?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Theres quite a lot of n00bness flying round in here but some good suggestions in between too!

I'd suggest the B-52, and from what i've heard, Michael Kelly's are fantastic guitars for the price
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Amp-wise, the Valveking is probably worth a look.

Valveking 112 - $400 approx

- New Pre-amp and Power tubes cost me £60 approx = $120 approx
- New speaker (Cel V30 is a popular one) $100 approx

= $620 For a nice sounding amp. It's damned loud too! I've never needed to go over 1 o'clock, and that's on the low gain input.

OR

- Build a speaker cab! I built a 2x12 cabinet, with two Cel V30's. Cost me around £150, which is about $300. It's a fairly easy job too.
- Convert the combo into a head by removing the stock speaker, and re-house the amp. I'm going to be doing this shortly. This is of course optional.

= $820 with all the volume you'll ever need, and you'll have a nice sounding, mid-range, amp.

I think you're gonna be stretching it to get a complete decent rig out of $1,400. Especially if you don't want to by used. I know little of multi effects, as I have always used stomp boxes.

Guitar wise, I'd go by what feels the most natural when you play; pickups can always be replaced, remember! From what you've said in your first post, I'd suggest either an Epiphone Les Paul or and SG.
^ No offense, but if you have that kinda cash to spend immediately on an amp, it's a complete waste of money to spend it modding a VK when you could just buy a MUCH better amp for the price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Micheal kelly guitars ftw, cheap top quility and play nice
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by MatrixClaw
^ No offense, but if you have that kinda cash to spend immediately on an amp, it's a complete waste of money to spend it modding a VK when you could just buy a MUCH better amp for the price.

I AM OFFENDED!!!1!

You make a fair point, sir. Mine has been a gradual process, rather than just buying a VK and modding it, though I'd probably be looking else where if I had all the money together when I started.
Quote by Mathamology
I AM OFFENDED!!!1!

You make a fair point, sir. Mine has been a gradual process, rather than just buying a VK and modding it, though I'd probably be looking else where if I had all the money together when I started.

haha

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com