Hi, since I am getting a classic 30, I would like to know if it is too loud to play at home. I'm pretty sure it is, so what what can I do to get gain and good tone at lower volumes?
most amps nowadays have a master volume so it wont matter so much what wattage it is
Quote by Andron17
most amps nowadays have a master volume so it wont matter so much what wattage it is

yes it would, and the c30 doesn't have a master volume.
Quote by Andron17

Yes and no to that. More yes though. While the louder you crank the master will get you more, often smoother, distortion, pretty much every amp under 100 watts with a master does fine at home.
Quote by Ghold125

What?
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
you can chnge volume on your guitar as well.
Also, if that amp doesn't have a volume knob then you should look at getting a different amp.
It will also depend on what you're playing. A 100-watt Dual Recto may not be too loud for your home if you're playing modern metal, which emphasizes preamp gain. In that case, you could keep the master volume a little bit lower, since you don't want the creamy distortion that comes when you get the power tubes cooking.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
It will also depend on what you're playing. A 100-watt Dual Recto may not be too loud for your home if you're playing modern metal, which emphasizes preamp gain. In that case, you could keep the master volume a little bit lower, since you don't want the creamy distortion that comes when you get the power tubes cooking.

True,
I used many 100 watt amps like that and it sounds just fine.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by Martindecorum
if none of these things works, cover the amp up with a blanket or two

That works too haha
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by slashrock94
you can chnge volume on your guitar as well.
Also, if that amp doesn't have a volume knob then you should look at getting a different amp.

No.

Volume knob =/= master volume

And turning down the guitar would lessen the gain and change the sound totally.
Post or Normal act as master volumes depending on what channel you are on. I have the Delta Blues which is basically a C30 with Tremolo and 2x10, and it is fine in my condo as long as I don't crank it. But in my buddy's garage or basement, Bwah hah hah hah.
Quote by TheProducer
No.

Volume knob =/= master volume

And turning down the guitar would lessen the gain and change the sound totally.

Not trying to argue, but what do you mean?

Are you saying having a master is like having two channel volumes, and a master volume over both channels?

If the amp has one channel, and a volume on that channel, what's the point of having two volumes?

Just curious I'm kinda in the dark on this.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by mason7373
thanks for your help guys

Welcome!
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
Not trying to argue, but what do you mean?

Are you saying having a master is like having two channel volumes, and a master volume over both channels?

If the amp has one channel, and a volume on that channel, what's the point of having two volumes?

Just curious I'm kinda in the dark on this.

Pretty much.

So you can increase the input volume to increase the overdrive but decrease the output volume so it's not crazy loud when you don't need it to be.

The Classic 30 has a master volume, but it's a bit different because it doesn't control both channels. The Post-Gain controls just the Lead channel, but it works the same since you can just set the single volume for the clean channel.

My point was that if the Classic 30 only had the pre-gain knob, it would still have a volume just not a master volume, so he was wrong.
Quote by TheProducer
Pretty much.

So you can increase the input volume to increase the overdrive but decrease the output volume so it's not crazy loud when you don't need it to be.

The Classic 30 has a master volume, but it's a bit different because it doesn't control both channels. The Post-Gain controls just the Lead channel, but it works the same since you can just set the single volume for the clean channel.

My point was that if the Classic 30 only had the pre-gain knob, it would still have a volume just not a master volume, so he was wrong.

That's what I thought.

The original Marshall heads didn't have master volumes, so to get any gain, you had to turn it up to hearing-damage level.

The master volume allowed you to crank the amp to get gain, but to keep it at a reasonable level. You got the sound of a Plexi turned to 11, but at a usable volume.

Technically, the Classic 30 has a master volume. Not many amps are without one these days.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
That's what I thought.

The original Marshall heads didn't have master volumes, so to get any gain, you had to turn it up to hearing-damage level.

The master volume allowed you to crank the amp to get gain, but to keep it at a reasonable level. You got the sound of a Plexi turned to 11, but at a usable volume.

Technically, the Classic 30 has a master volume. Not many amps are without one these days.

Yeah, exactly. The Classic 30's master just doesn't cover both channels--because you don't need 2 volumes on your clean channel since you aren't trying to get gain.
Quote by chase312

Well... "Master" not in terms of governing the volume over both channels, but like I said earlier, each channel has a control over the overall volume for/of that particular channel. Volume and Post respectively.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I have a 60 watt tube that i use mostly in the home and its fine at lower levels. its a peavey also, i think peaveys are known for their low level volumes. i dont think an attenuator is nessecary.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Quote by gregs1020
Well... "Master" not in terms of governing the volume over both channels, but like I said earlier, each channel has a control over the overall volume for/of that particular channel. Volume and Post respectively.

Yeah, whether it would technically be called a 'Master' volume is debatable since it isn't really master over everything, but this is just semantics.
Quote by TheProducer
Yeah, whether it would technically be called a 'Master' volume is debatable since it isn't really master over everything, but this is just semantics.

Either way, it's a great amp.

:]
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by TheProducer

True.
And yes, they are great amps.

Edit: And if you can't get a good low volume sound out of a C30, try piano.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
It depends on the sound you want and the actual amp. Some amps have enough gain in the pre amp stage to get a nice high gain tone at a very low volume. However, if you want high gain and there's not enough in the pre amp gain stage of the actual amp, you're not going to get the sound you want without an attenuator or a boost pedal. Also, even if an amp have enough pre amp gain, that doesn't necessarily mean it will sound good at low volumes. Some amps just sound...how do I say it....'really bad' at low levels even though they have allot of pre amp gain.

So, go test the amps you want and see which one works best for YOU! If you want high gain at low levels plan on buying an amp with a crap load of pre amp gain, getting an amp with less pre amp gain and supplementing that with a boost pedal, or just going for the attenuator option.
Quote by lumberjack
It depends on the sound you want and the actual amp. Some amps have enough gain in the pre amp stage to get a nice high gain tone at a very low volume. However, if you want high gain and there's not enough in the pre amp gain stage of the actual amp, you're not going to get the sound you want without an attenuator or a boost pedal. Also, even if an amp have enough pre amp gain, that doesn't necessarily mean it will sound good at low volumes. Some amps just sound...how do I say it....'really bad' at low levels even though they have allot of pre amp gain.

So, go test the amps you want and see which one works best for YOU! If you want high gain at low levels plan on buying an amp with a crap load of pre amp gain, getting an amp with less pre amp gain and supplementing that with a boost pedal, or just going for the attenuator option.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a jerk,
But did you even read the replies to this thread?
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by Ghold125

Yes it does. The POST-volume is the master volume, since it controls the preamp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i use one at home and it's not that loud,but probably because i don't crank it. as long as you have the volume set so that only you will hear it then it'll be fine.
Quote by chase312
Honestly, I'm not trying to be a jerk,
But did you even read the replies to this thread?

I did indeed , and here's what they seemed to be:

1) Hijack TS's thread to argue about master volume amps and their definition

2) What I said but without a key factor: some amps sound bad at bedroom levels but sound good cranked. You can talk all day about playing with a 50 watt combo in your bedroom because you turned up the pre and turned down the post, but some amps just sound bad with this done. So, what I was saying was a reitteration of what everyone else said since it is the common fix for the TS's problem, but in addition to the warning that the method might not work depending on the amp you're using.