I have an Ampeg Reverberocket R12R all tube (reissue). The dirty channel isn't enough for me! I play rock and post-hardcore. Bands like Circa Survive, Saosin, Underoath, etc. I was considering the Jekyll and Hyde, Bad Monkey, or Metal Muff. What pedal should I get?
My Gear: For sale/trade:
Epi Les Paul Custom SPF I-5 delay
Fender Jazzmaster MXR 1O band EQ
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
Well the Jekyll and Hyde and hide is really good because you can have a nice OD, then add the distortion for extra gain, and theres a lot of it. The metal Muff is great too, and that has a hell of a lot of gain. The Bad Monkey is a budget Tube Screamer. Out of all of them, I'd get the Jekyll and Hyde.
Ampeg Reverberocket not good enough for you? Blasphemy!

I put a 5751 in mine due to much gain for my needs.

But I haven' t tried to many OD pedals with it. I think a tubescreamer/clone sounds good in front of it. The Jekyll and Hyde will work if you need the distortion pedal, too. I wouldn't get a bad monkey, i'd be more inclined to get something true bypass. BYOC clone or Maxon OD808/9, maybe?

Either way, great amp selection.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I got it for a great price!$200
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
Wow! That is an excellent price. I have the 2x12. I bought it brand new for $650, and i thought that was a great deal.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Would a Big Muff sound good?
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
Never tried it. If that's what sound you're going for, I don't see why not. But it's more of a fuzz pedal. It's not an overdrive pedal, as the thread title suggests you want.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Does any one else have any suggestions?
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
Bump! Could a Fulltone OCD do some metal?
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
With the gain close to full on the OD channel, probably. It's worth trying.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
The Fulltone OCD and Jekyll/Hyde are about the same price. Which one could achieve this sound (in the beginning) and this overdrive ?
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
Last edited by Kakashi98 at Jul 19, 2008,
bump?
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
I'd go with the Fulltone OCD. In Circa Survive Brendan uses a Barber Tone Press with his Bad Cat Custom 100, but he's also got a Durham Electronics Mucho Busto and Sex Drive pedal, and an Ibanez TS-9. Colin's got an Ibanez TS-7. Saosin used to use someting like 6505s or Dual Rects, and Underoath use Marshall JCM800s and Orange Rocker 30s. The Fulltone's suppose to be a Marshall in a Box as far as overdrives go, and i'm not sure how high gain the Reverbrocket is, but also check out the ODs i mentioned that Circa Survive use.

And dude, your taste in music is kick ass i've got to say (although i prefer old Saosin). Thrice use straight up amp distortion (on the new album they used Marshall JCM 800s), but i think if your Ampeg is already cooking, the OCD should push it into heavier territory. Otherwise, you may want to look into a JCM800!
Quote by RG_FANMAN
I'd go with the Fulltone OCD. In Circa Survive Brendan uses a Barber Tone Press with his Bad Cat Custom 100, but he's also got a Durham Electronics Mucho Busto and Sex Drive pedal, and an Ibanez TS-9. Colin's got an Ibanez TS-7. Saosin used to use someting like 6505s or Dual Rects, and Underoath use Marshall JCM800s and Orange Rocker 30s. The Fulltone's suppose to be a Marshall in a Box as far as overdrives go, and i'm not sure how high gain the Reverbrocket is, but also check out the ODs i mentioned that Circa Survive use.

And dude, your taste in music is kick ass i've got to say (although i prefer old Saosin). Thrice use straight up amp distortion (on the new album they used Marshall JCM 800s), but i think if your Ampeg is already cooking, the OCD should push it into heavier territory. Otherwise, you may want to look into a JCM800!

Whoa, I didn't know Brendan used that many overdrives. I thought they were just modulation effects....

(Old Saosin FTW!)

I guess I will just go to a guitar shop and try them out. Thanks everyone!
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
I'm not familiar with the Jekyll/Hyde of the OCD but I read a lot of good stuff about them so they are highly worth checking out.

If you're looking for a really brutal metal tone I would have to recommend the Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff - best metal distortion pedal that I've heard.

And I've heard great things about the bad monkey but I really wouldn't trust it myself - I would go for a Maxon OD808 if you're looking for a tube screamer type of overdrive.

You must forgive me though. I'm really not sure what tone exactly you are looking for because I don't listen to any of the bands that you mentioned - not saying that they aren't good or anything like that just saying that I don't listen to them.
I tried the Fulltone OCD and it was amazing! But it was too expensive. The BYOC overdrive looked nice and it was cheaper than the Fulltone OCD. Has anyone ever tried the BYOC overdrive?
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
^I haven't tried it, but it's basically a TS clone with mods included. If you like a tubescreamer, it'll be a nice buy.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86