what year(s) do you guys think fender made the mexican stratocaster the best? For example, is a 1995 better than a 2000-2003?
The new ones are best, better wood, better trem.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well, I've heard the > 2006 models are better because of hardware upgrades. Better than which years I'm not sure.
so is it better off buying the newer models?
im planning to buy one but i dont know whether to buy one online (would musicians friend give me the newest model?), ebay or GC.
Ebay doesnt have too many new models-more mid 90's which from what i get from your posts arent as good?
and i dont know about GC, do they carry newer models as well?
Every new MIM is a post-upgrade one. They were upgraded in 2006 with alder bodies (they were poplar before), hotter pickups, comfier necks, and bigger tremolo blocks, for more sustain.
Quote by sashki
Every new MIM is a post-upgrade one. They were upgraded in 2006 with alder bodies (they were poplar before), hotter pickups, comfier necks, and bigger tremolo blocks, for more sustain.

is that poplar to alder switch just for strats, or teles too?
signed,
your favorite poster
My 1992 tele feels/sounds much better than todays teles, just the harware is slightly ****ier.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by wemonir

I'd like to know this too.
---▲===
Pink Floyd
my 2002 MIM strat feels so much better quality than the more recent models. I also have a 2002 MIM cyclone which is an amazingly good quality guitar.

I actually thought the 2006 onwards models were absolutely ****ing crap for what you pay. Felt like it was on par with a Squier affinity strat, only a little more solidly built, and 3x the price...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
my 2002 MIM strat feels so much better quality than the more recent models. I also have a 2002 MIM cyclone which is an amazingly good quality guitar.

I actually thought the 2006 onwards models were absolutely ****ing crap for what you pay. Felt like it was on par with a Squier affinity strat, only a little more solidly built, and 3x the price...

+1million
the 2006+ strats all have more shielding, better hardware, higher frets, and heavier trem block.

but

doesnt mean they are better guitars.

every MIM strat year has hits and misses.

i love my 96' strat. it's one of my fav guitars.

most everything gets modded in them anyway, so it's important to get a good neck and go from there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by wemonir

Tele's too. I think the tele's also have (slightly) hotter pickups, especially in the bridge.

EDIT: Just checked in a magazine that reviewed the tele's at the time of upgrade: they have larger frets, alder bodies, internal shielding, hotter pickups and come with a bag.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 9, 2008,
not preference as much as weeding out the lemons.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Blompcube

Blompcube - normally i agree with your posts but this one i'm going to have to disagree. Not a shot at you, i just feel the opposite way.