hey guys/gals

im a real hardcore metal fan, but when i improvise 2 metal stuff, da stuff sounds outta place. I use da Am pentatonic scale.

Is there a better scale 2 use fr metal????

If so wat is it?
yea dude dont use pentatonic it will just sound bluesy
use the harmonic minor or minor scale if want teh brutalz fer tehs metalz
Quote by Kensai
It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Quote by Fappy
yea dude dont use pentatonic it will just sound bluesy
use the harmonic minor or minor scale if want teh brutalz fer tehs metalz

+1. harmonic minor gives u a good, spooky kind of sound, especially if u use the seventh a lot.
+1 on the harmonic minor.

harmonic minor is only a natural minor scale with a raised 7th 1 half step so its not a big deal if you know the formula for the natural minor just raise the 7th note one half step and there you go. If you raise the 6th and 7th notes 1 half step its melodic minor scale.

Formula for natural minor
W h W W h W W
so harmonic minor is
W h W W h W (W+h)

If you just think of it as whole steps and half steps like that its easier. Well for me anyways.

Like the above poster said accentuate the 7th as thats what defines it as harmonic minor and not one of the others. Hope this helps and if you already knew all this then i guess i wasted my time lol.
Quote by nemesis_911
hey guys/gals

im a real hardcore metal fan, but when i improvise 2 metal stuff, da stuff sounds outta place. I use da Am pentatonic scale.

If so wat is it?

First of all, use English.
Second, Am is only useful if you're playing over an A minor progression. You need to go way back to the beginning and start studying basic theory. Focus on the major scale and diatonic harmony.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Before worrying about the harmonic minor scale (my fav scale ) you should probably work on the major scale. Learn it, live it, love it. The major scale is your best friend.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Plenty of metal solos use minor pentatonics, so that's not your problem. If you want it to sound metal you need work on your phrasing.
Quote by Eirien
Plenty of metal solos use minor pentatonics, so that's not your problem. If you want it to sound metal you need work on your phrasing.

They mostly use the quick ascending runs (from what i've heard) and then they go back to the full minor scale. When most people use minor pentatonic and solo in it it sounds bluesy. The diminished, phrygian, harmonic minor, and hungarian scales are all super badass for teh metalz but if the TS doesn't have a good base of diatonic theory, it probably won't do too much.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
They mostly use the quick ascending runs (from what i've heard) and then they go back to the full minor scale. When most people use minor pentatonic and solo in it it sounds bluesy. The diminished, phrygian, harmonic minor, and hungarian scales are all super badass for teh metalz but if the TS doesn't have a good base of diatonic theory, it probably won't do too much.

Yeah a good understanding of theory is obviously very useful.

A lot of metal (especially American and old British stuff) is blues based, so sounding slightly bluesy isn't really a bad thing. TS didn't specify what sub-genres he was interested in. But my point is that the pents don't have to sound bluesy, it all depends on how you play them.
^True dat. It's amazing how bluesy AC/DC's stuff is. Most people don't notice it but once you really look at what's going on, you see how obvious it is. Phrasing is indeed very important. With good phrasing you can make 3 notes sound better than 12.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by jdmusic
i'd say look into some modes

Locrian is amazing for metal.

No, it isn't. Metal is very rarely modal, and locrian is nearly unheard of in the genre. Ignore modes and focus on the theory behind the major scale.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No, it isn't. Metal is very rarely modal, and locrian is nearly unheard of in the genre. Ignore modes and focus on the theory behind the major scale.

Locrian is used rarely in metal

i dare say its used more often than the major scale is.
Quote by jdmusic
Locrian is used rarely in metal

i dare say its used more often than the major scale is.

I can't think of any examples of the locrian mode being used outside of Archeo Avis. I can think of quite a few times that metal is in a major key.
Quote by nemesis_911
hey guys/gals

If so wat is it?

Dear Lord. It's "the", not "da".

I think you need to read the beginner's music theory lesson on this site.

jdmusic:

Modal music is not nearly as common as you seem to think. Plenty of metal is based in major. I'm not exactly sure how "metal" a modal vamp would sound, but it's been done. Either way, TS is far from ready for modes.
Quote by Avedas
Dear Lord. It's "the", not "da".

I think you need to read the beginner's music theory lesson on this site.

jdmusic:

Modal music is not nearly as common as you seem to think. Plenty of metal is based in major. I'm not exactly sure how "metal" a modal vamp would sound, but it's been done. Either way, TS is far from ready for modes.

Err, phrygian vamps are incredibly common in metal.
Quote by ouchies
Err, phrygian vamps are incredibly common in metal.

No, the use of the b2 is relatively common. I can't think of too many songs that are actually in phrygian.
I would suggest learning how to spell better first before you move on to being better at guitar.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Quote by Helloween_rox
I would suggest learning how to spell better first before you move on to being better at guitar.

Win.
Quote by ouchies
Its a forum, he doesn't have to have perfect grammar.

It's a forum. His grammar is very nearly the only thing we can judge him by.
^ Aye, I suppose you're right but its still useless to tell him to change it. For all you know he could be an middle schooler with autism, why does it matter? Just answer his question or help him with whatever, thats how I go about it.

People post in here because they need help, they put themselves in a slightly vulnerable position by asking strangers, so why put them down.. Anyway thats just my thoughts.
Quote by ouchies
^ Aye, I suppose you're right but its still useless to tell him to change it. For all you know he could be an middle schooler with autism, why does it matter? Just answer his question or help him with whatever, thats how I go about it.

People post in here because they need help, they put themselves in a slightly vulnerable position by asking strangers, so why put them down.. Anyway thats just my thoughts.
On the other hand, we have no obligation to help, so the least they can do is make themselves presentable.

TS, read up on your theory. If you're using the A minor pentatonic for EVERYTHING(including stuff that's not actually in A minor) you don't really understand how harmony works. Learn the hell out of the major scale and then you'll have a much easier time exploring the weirder harmonies metal generally uses(well, depends what kind of metal really...).