Hello everyone ! I am new to this site so i hope im doing this properly. 2 yrs ago i decided to teach myself how to play guitar...i baught a used fender acoustic which has done me pretty well. However after much abuse, this guitar is on its last legs i feel and i am ready to buy a new one. I have never baught a new guitar before so i thought i'd ask the pro's; what it is that i should be looking for when buying a guitar ? what is an affordable brand that doesn't sacrifice quality ?
washburn d10...thats if you don't wanna spend a lot...that's the best guitar in its price range/class...voted best guitar under $500...whats your price range?
yeah we need a price range to recommend models.

as for what you're looking for....

you absolutely want a solid top. if the guitar doesn't say "solid top" then it isn't a solid top. select top or quilted top or flamed top or special top or anything else is a fancy way of saying laminated.

now depending on your price range, it is generally preferred to have a guitar with as much solid wood as possible. you can't really get into many options with solid back and sides without venturing to $500+ though.

next you want to find a guitar that you think sounds good. go into as many shops as you can and spend as much time as you can playing as many different guitars as you can. play some that are out of your price range and some that are below it as well. this will help you to hear the differences between a great guitar and a crappy guitar. tone is the single most important factor in buying an acoustic guitar.

after tone comes comfort. you want to try different body styles of guitars to see which one is the most comfortable for you to play. pay attention to the size and thickness of the body. also pay attention to the size of the fretboard. see if you like the shape, finish, and feel of the neck.
Quote by jimtaka
yeah we need a price range to recommend models.

as for what you're looking for....

you absolutely want a solid top. if the guitar doesn't say "solid top" then it isn't a solid top. select top or quilted top or flamed top or special top or anything else is a fancy way of saying laminated.

now depending on your price range, it is generally preferred to have a guitar with as much solid wood as possible. you can't really get into many options with solid back and sides without venturing to $500+ though.

next you want to find a guitar that you think sounds good. go into as many shops as you can and spend as much time as you can playing as many different guitars as you can. play some that are out of your price range and some that are below it as well. this will help you to hear the differences between a great guitar and a crappy guitar. tone is the single most important factor in buying an acoustic guitar.

after tone comes comfort. you want to try different body styles of guitars to see which one is the most comfortable for you to play. pay attention to the size and thickness of the body. also pay attention to the size of the fretboard. see if you like the shape, finish, and feel of the neck.

This has been the only good answer so far.

Acoustic guitars are very personal things. More so than electric guitars. You have to buy a guitar that gives you a good vibe. Go for sound first, comfort second, and looks last.

You should always make sure the guitar is comfortable to play, however. If you can't play a guitar comfortably, how will you enjoy the sound of the guitar? You won't be able to play it with your full potential. Treat sound and comfort more like something you MUST have instead of a priority list.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Weedluva13
Hello everyone ! I am new to this site so i hope im doing this properly. 2 yrs ago i decided to teach myself how to play guitar...i baught a used fender acoustic which has done me pretty well. However after much abuse, this guitar is on its last legs i feel and i am ready to buy a new one. I have never baught a new guitar before so i thought i'd ask the pro's; what it is that i should be looking for when buying a guitar ? what is an affordable brand that doesn't sacrifice quality ?

Hello and welcome . Yup, you're doing it properly .

You answered your question with your first question: "What is it that I should be looking for when buying a new guitar?"

Do you want another acoustic or an electric? Are you very serious about guitar and have a large price range or are you more on the fun/casual playing side and would not notice the different between say an Epiphone or a genuine LP? What is your price range? It's impossible to recommend you a guitar without knowing your price range or what your specific needs are. There is no definitive 'best' guitar. They are all different and suit peoples different needs. I'd say a good way of approaching it would be to mull over the whole concept of buying a guitar with yourself and decide what you want its purpose to be, whether that's shredding all day or playing some acoustic stuff around a fire or whatever. Also, you should go into your local guitar/music shop and ask around. They should be willing to help and you'll learn a lot just talking to people.

Best of luck.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.