I'm sorry if i'm just another person on here asking how to get faster because I know I have to practice with a metronome and such but I've never really known how to get faster, there is this riff I can play at about 100 bpm and its 150 bpm in real life so its about 2/3 of the speed but I wondered if people could give me tips on how to improve and things I should/shouldn't do. Also things like what speed do I practice on, when do I change speeds and how much i should increase in speed each time. I'm a very impatient person which is why i'm asking for help I just really want to be able to play this song.
You can only continue to practice, slowing building up speed.

Remember, start slow, if you start off too fast you'll get sloppy.
Try to economize your playing. Try to work on moving your fingers and pick as little as possible without loosing the intended sound of the riff. Basically, use less energy when you play.
pick with your wrist, play as accurately as possibly.
when practicing a lick, stay on each BPM for about 2-3 minutes and build till you can't go any faster.

heres what i do when learning a new lick
1. learn it at 80 bpm (pretty easy)
2. play it on each bpm for 2-3 minutes
3. when i can't play any faster WITHOUT sacrificing tone/accuracy, move back 15 bpm and start over.

EDIT: by each bpm, i mean intervals of about 5.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Quote by jdmarsh2005
I think my problem is trying to jump ahead too early, rushing things.

If you don't have any patience, all you'll get is frustrated. When you're frustrated
all you learn is how unfair the world is.

People just don't understand playing fast. They think, If I can only play fast, I can
play anything. Doesn't work that way. It should be, If I can only play well, I can
play anything, including fast.
Quote by jdmarsh2005
I'm sorry if i'm just another person on here asking how to get faster because I know I have to practice with a metronome and such but I've never really known how to get faster, there is this riff I can play at about 100 bpm and its 150 bpm in real life so its about 2/3 of the speed but I wondered if people could give me tips on how to improve and things I should/shouldn't do. Also things like what speed do I practice on, when do I change speeds and how much i should increase in speed each time. I'm a very impatient person which is why i'm asking for help I just really want to be able to play this song.

I think the best advice for you is to stop worrying about god damn speed. Are you training for sport or for music?

Anyways heres a few tips for speed other than training with metronome at speeds you can play cleanly and slowly increasing like you seem to already know:

1. Economy of motion - Examine the piece your playing and be sure you have the most efficient motion in left and right hands. If you downpicking something that needs to be alt picked or is a sweep then of course you will be frustrated. As for the left hands (im not sure your skill level) make sure you are using the proper locations meaning not sliding up because you cant use your pinky etc.

2. Stay loose if you strain for speed you tend to tense up. Common beginer move is to put way to much presure on the fretted strings than nessisary and also to lift the fingers much higher than needed to move around on the fretboard. Try playing whatever your practicing really rediculously slowly and concentrate on staying super loose (in both hands) and concentrate on only putting enough pressure to play a note cleanly and only lifting a tiny amount above the strings. You could work on this with a scale or even chromatically like 1234 4321

3. Its music not guitar speed olympics. For me anyways.... Don't be impatient focus on making music and playing with proper technique. If you skip slowly learning correctly with patience you will go a few years and realize what you've done and have to rework out bad habbits and you will say damn i was an idiot for focusing on playing fast insted of playing smooth.

Just my 2 cents hope this helps you.
If you really wont to learn how to play faster you must play with a metronme. their not that expensive and you add hard work and you well be shredding god in about a year or so with constant practice.
I'm not some little boy who wants to play arpegios as fast as possible just to impress people I want to learn to play this riff faster so I can play the song and be a better guitarist. I wanted to know the methods of how to practice.
You also might want to read this thread.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Quote by jdmarsh2005
I'm not some little boy who wants to play arpegios as fast as possible just to impress people I want to learn to play this riff faster so I can play the song and be a better guitarist. I wanted to know the methods of how to practice.

Don't be offended man if you actualy read all of my post aside from my ranting about how to many people care about speed there are good tips on how to practice. If the rant doesnt apply to you then disregard it. Its just that theres a thread on here every day or two about this topic so people get testy when someone is all like "I need to play this at xbpm" etc.. It has been covered again and again.
The only answer is practice mate. One of my motos is the 3P's - Practice, Patience, Persevere....

If you can play a lick 25 times without making a mistake, then you should increase speed.

If you could tab out the part of the song that requires playing fast, everyone can then see what technique you need to use, whether it be legato, alternate picking, economy picking etc.

....and take note of my sig.
e----19--17--15--------17--15-------------
b--------------------19-------------19--17--
g-----------------------------------------------
d-----------------------------------------------
a-----------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------

That's repeated round and round.
Cool, well you've got several options that you can utilize....but above all,

1. Start of slowly
2. Make sure all notes are of equal length (duration)
3. Stay relaxed - try not to tense up or hold your breath when playing fast (sounds silly but loads of people do this). Reason being, your fingers won't move quite as well.

Economy picking

u d u u d u u d
e----19--17--15--------17--15-------------
b--------------------19-------------19--17--

Alternate picking

I'd probably start with a downstroke. Thankfully this lick is an 8 (even) note loop, so your last stroke will be on an up, before you repeat again.

Legato

e----19-p-17-p-15--------17-p-15-------------
b--------------------19-------------19-p-17--

Try them all, find the difficult ones, work on those more. It'll come with time dude....

EDIT: ok, my symbols for the strokes have gone a bit weird as soon as I hit post reply, hopefully you can follow it though.
Last edited by mdc at Jul 11, 2008,