I couldnt find what I wanted in the search bar, so here goes.
I need some REALLY smooth jazz. Stuff with obscure key changes and has a sense of unpredictability to it. However I found a few vids of Larry Carlton's style of jazz, and that seems good, too.
So with all my specifics I thought, "might as well just make a thread dedicated to smooth jazz." So yeah go ahead and throw some band/artists out there.

EDIT: i guess all i want is some clean songs that have strange chord progressions. it doesnt have to be JUST smooth jazz.
Last edited by Telestar at Jul 10, 2008,
Just listen to Pat Metheny's 80s albums and we'll never speak of this "smooth jazz" again.
Tiger style.
Obscure key changes? Smoth jazz is for the most part very predictable. What are you talking about, TS?
I may have to hijack this thread into the "Cool" jazz thread, no need for thanks. Miles Davis, Stan Getz, and particularly Johnny Smith are the greatest.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by aetherspear
I may have to hijack this thread into the "Cool" jazz thread, no need for thanks. Miles Davis, Stan Getz, and particularly Johnny Smith are the greatest.

*cough* Coltrane *cough*

Edit: Clarification - I meant for crazy chord changes, look to the Coltrane.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Last edited by Mongoose87 at Jul 9, 2008,
well i read the word "obscure"

Eric Dolphy!

but smooth i'd say any jazz artist has at least a couple songs with "smoothness"

Try these songs

"I Have a Dream" by Herbie Hancock
"A Remark You Made" by Weather Report
"Stuff" by Miles Davis
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Try Chuck Loeb.

Maaaybe St. Germain but that's cheesy at times.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Right now i'm pretty much obsessed with Between the Buried and Me's album Colors. So in this album there are some "obscure" smooth jazzy parts that i absolutely adore. For example the song Viridian: To me its a very unpredictable songs, yet it sounds beautiful without getting to weird.
So i guess all i want is some clean songs that have strange chord progressions. it doesnt have to be JUST smooth jazz.
Id highly recommend the band Fourplay for very smooth jazz. I wouldnt call Coltrane smooth compared to these guys.
well i'm not a fan of smooth jazz, but if you really want to indulge yourself you go could go for some Kenny G, but i highly do NOT recommend it. He is shunned by the jazz community for good reason
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Quote by Telestar
Right now i'm pretty much obsessed with Between the Buried and Me's album Colors. So in this album there are some "obscure" smooth jazzy parts that i absolutely adore. For example the song Viridian: To me its a very unpredictable songs, yet it sounds beautiful without getting to weird.
So i guess all i want is some clean songs that have strange chord progressions. it doesnt have to be JUST smooth jazz.

What you're describing isn't technically "smooth" jazz. As mentioned, smooth jazz is very predictable. If you call Viridian a jazz song (which is fairly reasonable - I love the bass melodies in that song), it's definitely not smooth jazz.
Personally, I can't stand smooth, it bores me. Some of my friends take their dislike to the point that they don't even consider smooth jazz to be jazz at all.
"smooth jazz" a great marketing phrase by corporate radio networks "the wave" etc....its jazz with the "nuts" taken out..so to speak..like peanut butter..<wolfgrin>

i tend to think of this sound as "semi-jazz" ... it has some chord structures that are jazz flavored .. for lack of a better term .. that might be considered "obscure" chord progressions to some...yet very "pop" safe sounds..ie: steely dan, carlton..even a de-tuned larry coryell doing some wes stuff...

coltrane..miles..real jazz...not on these stations...

wolf
The Oscar Peterson trio had some pretty cool stuff. It was clean, it wasn't bebop or anything. They had no drummer, and no horns, so it's not too heavy. Herb Ellis was the guitarist. Pretty cool stuff. Check out A Night on the Town with the Oscar Peterson Trio.