**** Yeah!!!!
I got a Krank Rev JR half stack today for $1150 Australian, it is brand new and the plastic covering was still on it.

Anyone have any settings they can share, I'm having trouble dialling in a modern metal tone thats not ... unpleasent on higher notes. Or anything that sounds like As I Lay Dying.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
**** Yeah!!!!

I'm having trouble dialling in a modern metal tone thats not ... unpleasent on higher notes. Or anything that sounds like As I Lay Dying.

Hmmm thats not a suprise..
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
Do you have comcast on demand or try you tube. Guitar World did a nice review on it.
Quote by T!AN
Pics or thread fails.

Does a picture of an amp really going to give you an idea of the tone hes talking about???? or you going to be able to further assist him on how do dial in an amp just by looking at it???????
Quote by JaredFace
Does a picture of an amp really going to give you an idea of the tone hes talking about???? or you going to be able to further assist him on how do dial in an amp just by looking at it???????

I agree with T!AN, and as for you, you're silly.

Pics of new gear in the thread or the thread fails.

Also, does using lots of question marks in your post make you awesome?????????

Didn't think so.

Krank amps remind me of Dethklok.
Thats why you have musicansfriend, or guitarcenter. And again how the hell are you going to help someone by looking at the damn thing. ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
well i kinda agree with both sides here. on new amp days WE NEED MOAR PICS!!!

but this thread technically isnt really showing off the new amp. its asking a question about it, meaning he needs no pics.

i guess its really up to him to decide lol
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
If you need to see pics then you apparently cant help him cause hes asking for setting advice so that means he looking for someone that owns the damn amp already, its not a "what kind of amp is this thread"....theres too many smart ass lil kids on this site.
And im going to stop hijacking this thread now.

For the thread starter, set all your controls at 12oclock, and start from there. my quick experince with this amp is that the highs are icepicking so move the low end up a tad, roll back a little on the mids and keep the highs no more that 2 oclock.
Quote by howey
**** Yeah!!!!
I got a Krank Rev JR half stack today for $1150 Australian, it is brand new and the plastic covering was still on it.

Anyone have any settings they can share, I'm having trouble dialling in a modern metal tone thats not ... unpleasent on higher notes. Or anything that sounds like As I Lay Dying.

Dude you know As I Lay Dying uses the big brother to your amp right.
Quote by mwalluk
Do you have comcast on demand or try you tube. Guitar World did a nice review on it.

Yeah, there are a handful of videos on youtube featuring the amp, and the playes have dialed some really crushing modern tones that sound really great. Why don't you ask them what settings THEY used? There are some good sounds on there...
Quote by zhunt1130
Dude you know As I Lay Dying uses the big brother to your amp right.

Yes I am aware of that :P

I'm having trouble understanding what to do with the 'sweep' control, everyone seems to think that is the key to this amp but I have no idea how to use it. Anyone shed some light on that ?

Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
ask erock he's like the master of this thing
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Doesn't erock have the Stein+ ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
mess with the eq till you get your sound, its not that hard, not even that many knobs on the thing
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
The sweep control totaly changes the whole eq voicing... which makes it quite difficult to find the sound your after.

Does anyone have any settings for modern metal I can use ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
I think krank's website has some sample settings. Also join their forums so you know that you're talking to people who own kranks or know a lot about them.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
yeah, Kranks website has some settings. I haven't tried the Rev Jr yet, but I've used the Rev and I own a Krankenstein+. The sweep control is like a parametric control that shifts the rest of the EQ. It really is the key to the amp, like you suspected. I like to keep mine between 10:00 and 12:00, where the 10:00 setting is more lower mids and bass heavy, and as you go up, it tends to shift it more in the mids and upper mids. I'm not as familiar with the Jr series though, so I'm not positive how it reacts with the sweep. Start out at 12:00 with all the controls, and adjust the sweep to hear how it changes the tone. Once you have that figured out, then start adjusting the rest of the controls. I usually keep my gain around 1:00-2:00, and I like to use a boost pedal to smack the frontend. I use a Krankshaft with my amps, level up 2:00+, tone at 12:00, overdrive at 8:00-9:00. It should react the same or similar with any OD808 based OD as far as settings on the pedal.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Sweet erock, thanks dude!
Anything else I should know about this amp ?
Any recommended re tube options or places to buy ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
Sweet erock, thanks dude!
Anything else I should know about this amp ?
Any recommended re tube options or places to buy ?

np man. As far as tubes, yeah, it really likes different ones than the stock Sovtek 5881. They are a really strong rugged tube, just not very musical IMO. I've tried JJ6L6 and TAD 6L6 in the older heads, and both sounded much better than the sovtek imo. As far as buying tubes, I really like getting mine from Doug's Tubes. Very honest dealer, reasonable prices, and he has a great selection of tubes. He also ships international. Drop him an email, and he can recommend a set of power tubes, along with a specific recipe of different kinds of preamp tubes he likes to use. Tung Sol for V1, Shuguang/Ruby/Penta for V2, and a Sovtek LPS for the PI is usually what he recommends. I did like all JJ in the older stein I had, it seemed to tame some of the harshness that can happen with the gain and treble up higher. The newer Shuguang 9th gen and Ruby preamp tubes also seem to really agree with these heads.

edit: btw man, using the Sovtek 5881 does have it's advantages in that you shouldn't have to rebias when it needs new power tubes. They are pretty consistent in their current draw. If you go to 6L6, you'll definitely want to rebias the power section.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jul 10, 2008,
Oh ok.
When I habe some spare cash I'll look into some tubes.
Is there any that would give me a little less fizzy gain and not such a shrill high end ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
Oh ok.
When I habe some spare cash I'll look into some tubes.
Is there any that would give me a little less fizzy gain and not such a shrill high end ?

just changing the preamp tubes can help quite a bit with that. IIRC, they were using EHX tubes in the older ones. What kind of stock pre tubes does the Jr have, are they now using Ruby in those too?
amp clips
amp vids
No it came with svetlana or sovtek power tubes and .... un named preamp.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
No it came with svetlana or sovtek power tubes and .... un named preamp.

ic, you may want to try some JJ's, they seem to be a little darker for preamp tubes. I would email Doug, tell him what amp you have, and what you are after. He may be able to recommend something to calm down the fuzzy gain and shrill high.
amp clips
amp vids
I just emailed him them
Any other recommended settings ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by Erock503
ic, you may want to try some JJ's, they seem to be a little darker for preamp tubes. I would email Doug, tell him what amp you have, and what you are after. He may be able to recommend something to calm down the fuzzy gain and shrill high.

Sometimes Dougs recommendations seem a bit random. He recommends the same preamp tubes for all Mesas, despite major differences between the models, or very different goals in sound. Some of his reccomendations don't really make a lot of sense to me at least.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Eurotubes replyed first.

The Krank Revolution Jr uses a pair of 6L6's and four 12AX7's so we use the JJ 6L6GC’s and ECC83S preamp tubes in them which are less brittle in the highs than the stock sovteks and the JJ's have a more harmonically complex mid and a deeper and tighter low end so it's a nice up grade. I would use a graded and balanced ECC83S in the phase splitter hole which is the preamp tube that's closest to the power tubes ( the farthest preamp tube from the input jack ). This will eliminate any dead spots due to phase cancellation.

The only other option would be if you want any of the preamp tubes premium graded for gain which would run 4.00 more per tube. The high gain ECC83S's have about 10% more gain than standards which adds a bit of bite and a sharper dynamic but does not hurt the clean tone. The other attribute that these tubes have is a faster filament rise time which is great for a Malmsteen, Petrucci or Satriani type style and is also good for fast palm mute and metal styles. If you decide to use these I would use them in all three positions with one balanced for V3 which would add 9.00 to the cost below.

Sounds good to me .
I think I'll go the high gain option for pre amp tubes and get the standard power amp.
I have close to no knowledge about tubes, so does this seem alright to you guys ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Bob has yet to steer me wrong. He helped me tame my 6260's gain. I run the JJ's in mine, sounds way smoother than the old Sovteks
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
Sometimes Dougs recommendations seem a bit random. He recommends the same preamp tubes for all Mesas, despite major differences between the models, or very different goals in sound. Some of his reccomendations don't really make a lot of sense to me at least.

yeah, he's got a set recipe he likes to use with most amps. A Tung Sol RI for the V1 input tube, since it's a very quiet tube, so it won't create more noise thru the rest of the chain. He likes to use Shuguang/Ruby, Penta, and JJ's for the gain stages, and a Sovtek LPS for the phase inverter. They do work well in those positions for most amps, but there are exceptions obviously. If you get into it with him however, and tell him exactly what each tube is doing, ie. v2 clean ch, V3 first gain stage, V4 second gain stage, etc.., he will usually give you a recommendation that will fit that particular amp. He obviously doesn't know the layout of every amp though, and he gets a lot of questions from people that never even buy tubes from him.
amp clips
amp vids