i'm quite small (we're talking under 5'1 here) and i currently own an epiphone pr5e (it's a jumbo) that i've been using for the past year or so. i've been seriously thinking of buying a smaller guitar (and maybe an acoustic-electric wasn't such a good idea in the first place) that would suit me a lot more. i haven't been able to get to a guitar store, but are there any smaller acoustics i should keep an eye out for? i think the max i can spend at this point is $500.

i've been hearing/seeing A LOT about seagull guitars lately and they just seem to be calling my name. can anyone recommend any of those?
You could check out an OM or OOO size, or even a folk guitar -- I've never played a seagull so I can't comment, but they get high ratings around here. Can you give us a price range? That would help a lot.
Quote by Siren Silently
$600 for laminated back/side guitar is a rip.

I suppose that depends on your point of view.

Some might look at it and say $600 for a solid top guitar from Taylor is a great deal... The majority of the sound comes from the top, not the sides/back.
well im 5 feet 1inch and i can play a regular sized guitar...folk acoustic guitars have smaller bodies...like my friends discontinued washburn f11...great guitar, you should google it now and check it out. its a really nice guitar.
Quote by Nims
I suppose that depends on your point of view.

Some might look at it and say $600 for a solid top guitar from Taylor is a great deal... The majority of the sound comes from the top, not the sides/back.

Back/sides do make a difference though. And a lot of the good offerings (Eppy Masterbilts, Guild GADs) at this price range are all solid wood. But of course if you really have your heart set on a Taylor, then thats all fine; but I'd like to get a little more for my money.
Quote by Siren Silently
Back/sides do make a difference though. And a lot of the good offerings (Eppy Masterbilts, Guild GADs) at this price range are all solid wood. But of course if you really have your heart set on a Taylor, then thats all fine; but I'd like to get a little more for my money.

Agreed. I think you can get much more for the money with other brands at this price range. I highly suggest looking into an Epiphone Masterbilt series guitar. Absolutely wonderful guitars.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Seagull makes some mini-jumbo and folk-sized guitars right in this price range. Honestly, that'd be my first place to look if I were you.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by Siren Silently

Have you played the Taylors, Eppy and Guilds that we're talking about? I know I have.
Quote by Nims
Have you played the Taylors, Eppy and Guilds that we're talking about? I know I have.

I have never liked any taylor i've ever played. Yes, i like the neck, but the sound is just so thin. it's like a sheet of paper. When i compare it to my rosewood side/back martin, i just laugh. The sound of my guitar is so rich and thick... it's like im swimming in a sea of fudge(good comparison? LOL).
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
I have never liked any taylor i've ever played. Yes, i like the neck, but the sound is just so thin. it's like a sheet of paper. When i compare it to my rosewood side/back martin, i just laugh. The sound of my guitar is so rich and thick... it's like im swimming in a sea of fudge(good comparison? LOL).

I guess that's why there is more than one successful guitar maker. I have never liked any Martin I've played. I've also heard from many people more knowledgable than I that Taylors are far superior to the competition in terms of consistency and quality control.

Recently, while at a local store who carries the following high end flat-top acoustics...

Bourgeois, Collings, Dell'Arte, Ehlers, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Guild, Larrivée, Martin, Martin (Premium and Custom), M.J. Franks, R. Taylor, Santa Cruz, Taylor, and Webber

I asked multiple employees at different times how they'd place the brands they sell overall (value, playability, quality, etc. all considered).

All three of them had Taylor in the top 2... One chose Collings first, the other Goodall...

As guess as long as you're happy with your Martin and I'm happy with my Taylor, that's all that matters.

Cheers.
Quote by Nims
I guess that's why there is more than one successful guitar maker. I have never liked any Martin I've played. I've also heard from many people more knowledgable than I that Taylors are far superior to the competition in terms of consistency and quality control.

Recently, while at a local store who carries the following high end flat-top acoustics...

Bourgeois, Collings, Dell'Arte, Ehlers, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Guild, Larrivée, Martin, Martin (Premium and Custom), M.J. Franks, R. Taylor, Santa Cruz, Taylor, and Webber

I asked multiple employees at different times how they'd place the brands they sell overall (value, playability, quality, etc. all considered).

All three of them had Taylor in the top 2... One chose Collings first, the other Goodall...

As guess as long as you're happy with your Martin and I'm happy with my Taylor, that's all that matters.

Cheers.

Trusay. Just because I don't like them doesn't mean they aren't good. I like Taylors plugged in, but acoustically, they're just... meh. That's why I'm not really into them.

I believe the quality control in taylors are probably higher because they tend to use a lot more machines and computers to create their guitars than most other brands. All the Taylor necks are shaped and buffed using a special machine.

One thing that Martin definitely holds over Taylor is their value retention. A Martin will hold it's value much better than a Taylor and most other brands for that matter.
Equipment:

Quote by Nims

If I hadn't I wouldn't be in line to make a recommendation would I. I've been in the OP's shoes before, I was looking for a guitar around $600 and I tried everything. But I ended up buying a vintage high end Guild because it was at a price I could not have possibly turned down and I could not have been happier(JF55 model for about $800).
seagulls are really great guitars i have one, a performer cw Q2, and perhaps you could even get one for 500$ but i don´t know a model which is really small beause most of them are dreadnoughts. there are a few mini jumbo ones but they´re also not that small i think
You can have my old first act half-size. It'll come with Elixer coated strings, fancy art-work, and a name!!
Quote by roamingbard13
Seagull makes some mini-jumbo and folk-sized guitars right in this price range. Honestly, that'd be my first place to look if I were you.

Ah, pretty much what I was going to say. I'm very intruiged by the seagull coastline grand,

Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
Ah, pretty much what I was going to say. I'm very intruiged by the seagull coastline grand,

I think that's the guitar I'll be going for but I'll look into the Taylor mentioned.

And, as a beginner and as someone who doesn't gig at all, I really don't care if the sides of a guitar are laminated or not. I own a laminated top right now and it's served me well so far, it's really just the size that has been bothering me at this point.
Quote by musclebonesinew
I think that's the guitar I'll be going for but I'll look into the Taylor mentioned.

And, as a beginner and as someone who doesn't gig at all, I really don't care if the sides of a guitar are laminated or not. I own a laminated top right now and it's served me well so far, it's really just the size that has been bothering me at this point.

There's nothing wrong with understanding what level you're at, but if you can pay the same amount and get a laminated top or a solid top, it would make sense (to me) to get the most for your money.