So, i've been toying with the idea of building my own pickup. I've found alot of helpful info on the web, but i'm a little confused on the alnico magnets. I found a chart that showed average winds, ohms, polarity, ect ect for Fender Stratocaster pickups through years '54-'67...

What I haven't been able to find the the type of alnico magnets used through those years. I know they used an alnico III in '54. What alnico magnets were used in the rest?

Any info would be good. Thanks.
a lot of people use alnico II and V. I know gibson used alnico IIs for a while in their PAFs but went to Vs... not sure about fender but I know the kits you typically buy are alnico v...

and as far as wire goes, in the 50s they used heavy formvar and then switched to plain enamel some time in the 60s if im not mistaken... 42 awg for strats and 43 for tele necks

pickups are so much fun to make
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by Planet_Express
So, i've been toying with the idea of building my own pickup. I've found alot of helpful info on the web, but i'm a little confused on the alnico magnets. I found a chart that showed average winds, ohms, polarity, ect ect for Fender Stratocaster pickups through years '54-'67...

What I haven't been able to find the the type of alnico magnets used through those years. I know they used an alnico III in '54. What alnico magnets were used in the rest?

Any info would be good. Thanks.

In the very beginning fender just ordered alnico magnets and they had anything from alnico 2 to alnico 5. According to all the books that I have, it was 1954 when fender standardized and started using only alnico 5 magnets. I've never actually had any 1954 pickups but I have had several other vintage fender pickups from the 50's and 60's and they all had alnico 5 magnets.
Not taking any online orders.
^ sheesh... i throw in my $.02 and get nuthin in return
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology