so im on dougs tubes looking for new power tubes yet theres an option for each one asking the rating. average distortion, early distortion, late distortion. what does that mean?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Early distortion means that the tubes start to distort at lower volumes, late means they've got lots of headroom and start to distort at higher volumes.
what about average?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Quote by kazra90
what about average?

...they start to distort in between where early and late distortion tubes do.

Duh?
so that means that they distort when the volume is a bit less than mid way??
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
do u think it would be better to go with average distortion?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by kazra90
do u think it would be better to go with average distortion?

Do you ever use cleans at gigging volumes? If you never do, early distortion. If you sometimes do, I'd go with average... you get the idea.
Quote by bjovi400
so that means that they distort when the volume is a bit less than mid way??

That depends entirely on the amp. All average means is the tubes are normal, they aren't picked out to break up earlier than normal, they aren't meant to have higher headroom than normal. average.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Do you ever use cleans at gigging volumes? If you never do, early distortion. If you sometimes do, I'd go with average... you get the idea.

But for amps like the 5150, it's probably better to have late distortion as preamp distortion is more desirable in those amps.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
But for amps like the 5150, it's probably better to have late distortion as preamp distortion is more desirable in those amps.

Good catch, didn't see that. I personally love power tube saturation in my metal tone, but apparently I'm in the minority.
Quote by aznrockerdude

Not necessarily.

I felt my 5150 only sounded good when it started to get a bit of power tube saturation. Not too much... but with only preamp gain it sounded too bland, same with the Mesa Recto series. However, some amps will sound better without it, I think a happy medium of both is where it's at, not enough to make the sound muddy, but enough to make it sound more full and less grainy.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Not necessarily.

I felt my 5150 only sounded good when it started to get a bit of power tube saturation. Not too much... but with only preamp gain it sounded too bland, same with the Mesa Recto series. However, some amps will sound better without it, I think a happy medium of both is where it's at, not enough to make the sound muddy, but enough to make it sound more full and less grainy.

you got the EVH head yet?!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
i think u misread his post, Kool.

the power tubes will make a bit of difference, but IMO my preamp tube made more difference when it came to how early/late the distortion actually was. but i chose an average distortion one to keep some cleans when turned up. totally opinion tho

slash_edit: sneaky little muffin'....
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i think u misread his post, Kool.

the power tubes will make a bit of difference, but IMO my preamp tube made more difference when it came to how early/late the distortion actually was. but i chose an average distortion one to keep some cleans when turned up. totally opinion tho

slash_edit: sneaky little muffin'....

Hah.
I read it three times and it said ever. And then it said never when i read it after i posted. >_>

But, uh...Preamp tubes don't have anything to do with early or late distortion. Preamp tubes are exclusively controlled by what is most typically the gain knob, or "preamp" on other amps, such as JCM 800's.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
you got the EVH head yet?!

Friday!

I'm going on vacation Sunday and the guy said don't worry about sending mine till I get his and if I can't get it out before I leave, don't worry about it. Which means... I'm runnin the Mark IV and EVH in stereo through my cab. FTW!!!

And TS, the early break-up on preamp tubes mean they're hi-gain, late break-up means low-gain and normal means... normal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
ah, well i was talking in regards to my 5 watter. in that case the volume acts as a gain knob also
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by MatrixClaw
Friday!

I'm going on vacation Sunday and the guy said don't worry about sending mine till I get his and if I can't get it out before I leave, don't worry about it. Which means... I'm runnin the Mark IV and EVH in stereo through my cab. FTW!!!

And TS, the early break-up on preamp tubes mean they're hi-gain, late break-up means low-gain and normal means... normal.

OH MY LORD! CLIPS OR YOU DIE! I MEAN IT!
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣