Well I just joined a new band. They are all excellent musicians, but one of them only listens to punk. Well he listens to korn and slipknot but mainly punk. The other two like metal more than punk, but play punk to be nice to him. I am hugely into metal. What bands/songs could I let that punk guitarist listen to so that he would like metal more. Cause I know everyone has that one band/song that inspired them into their own genre of music.
Gear Wish list:

Gibson Custom Les Paul Left handed

ISP Decimator

Maxon OD808

Peavey 6505 Halfstack

Gear Fund: 0/6000
make up petal or munk.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by soundgarden19
make up petal or munk.

brilliant power chord chorus and pentatonic verses lol
Gear Wish list:

ISP Decimator

Maxon OD808

Peavey 6505 Halfstack

Devildriver. I do not know anyone who doesn't like them. Well, except for one kid, but sadly his life was stopped short.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Last edited by travd92 at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by travd92
Devildriver. I do not know anyone who doesn't like them. Well, except for one kid, but sadly his life was stopped short.

lol
Gear Wish list:

ISP Decimator

Maxon OD808

Peavey 6505 Halfstack

Listen to Early Metallica, its pretty punk in many way, maybe The Exploited, agreed on Devildriver, dont discount punk though, it has its moments
mars volta.. its fast, but kinda punky. i dont know what kind of punk you mean cause i can think of 4-6 sub genres of punk, but honestly mesh your styles together and make your own sound. everyone will be happier not being told what to play.jsut feel it out, and talk about each part and what everyones input is on each players voice(not vocal, instrument). work from there.

or go old school, everyone listen to and try to emulate a sound of old but with a punk or metal twist on it. we did that with funk jazz and blues and put it to a mix of our influences of classic rock, punk, and grunge i guess... i dont know. basically we play different than i thought we ever would get into, its not a sound i know, i dont know how to describe it, but its fun and it makes us happy to play despite our different tastes
Quote by travd92

I don't see what's that great about them...

You can't just... make someone like something. To try is like trying to tear down a wall with a marshmallow.

Try and effect a fusion of styles. That's how great music is made.
RIP Wonthefu! haha but yeah there is really good punk also and early thrash was metal blended with punk.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Most punks like Motorhead, then there's Iron Maiden's first album, believe it or not, Iron Maiden, when they first appeared on the scene were considered a punk/metal crossover at the time.
Quote by Wonthefu

You can't just... make someone like something. To try is like trying to tear down a wall with a marshmallow.

Ghostbusters

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

Quote by deanfreak93
brilliant power chord chorus and pentatonic verses lol
Just make a really retarded drum line...have 4 really fukn gay power chords, and have a bassist who plays the EXACT same ****.
if your writing your own stuff you could create your own style with the mix of the different genre's
Yeah, I just watched it though so it popped in my head.

Quote by denizenz

Thrash= punk+metal. *in Arnold voice* Do eet now ugh!
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Most punks like Motorhead, then there's Iron Maiden's first album, believe it or not, Iron Maiden, when they first appeared on the scene were considered a punk/metal crossover at the time.

Yeah, that was Paul's vocals mostly, though.

However, there's a small group of Maiden fans who consider their first album to be their best, precisely because of that sound. (I would not be one of those people) Too bad the production is so lackluster (but hey, not like they were famous at the time!)
Quote by thec0dy
Just make a really retarded drum line...have 4 really fukn gay power chords, and have a bassist who plays the EXACT same ****.

1. Mentally handicapped drum line?
2. Homosexual chords?
3. The EXACT same **** as what?

And why are you giving this advice?
Thrash metal. Early Metallica, Sodom, Slayer, Megadeth, etc.
Well, show him the powa' of le true metal, aye?

Throw in a disc o' Manowar! and let his ****-punk face burn from the powa'!.. AYE!'

Hil