I am looking to get a nice boost pedal or an EQ that would do the same job. Sometimes I really just want as Tom Morello says, to "push it to 11". I have a Vox AD50VT 212.

I was looking into getting the Vox Over The Top Boost, as it could not only give me a boost but also a nice "in-between" type channel between my heavy distortion and my clean, as I have been yearning for that for a long time. It has a tube in it, somewhat like how my Vox does, so would this work well with my amp?

The other option was just getting a Boss EQ, making it flat and turning up the one knob to make it act as a boost. Which would be more beneficial to me?
The MXR108 would work for what I need?

Would it give me a boost as well as a nice in between distortion channel?

I'm leaning a bit towards the Over The Top at the moment.
Quote by Gibson_Left
Lol you're going to boost the front end of a modeller amp?

Does it not work?

Sorry if this is a stupid question..
Quote by Iamonfire
Does it not work?

No, just chances are it won't sound too good.
Quote by Iamonfire
Alright.

So there's no way to get a nice boosted sound from my amp?

What should I do?

Idk, maybe you can save up for a nicer amp?
Quote by Iamonfire
Does it not work?

It will work fine you just cant set all the sliders to ten unless you want to send the amp into clipping. I have tested the pedal on many solid state amps and it works fine. Works better on tube amps but what doesnt....lol

And its a accessory thats good to have when you do get another amp.
Quote by Gibson_Left
Idk, maybe you can save up for a nicer amp?

For the moment I'm fairly happy with my amp, I'm just looking to get a more defined lead tone/inbetween distortion and was wondering if an EQ pedal would do that, or if I'd have to go looking elsewhere in the pedal department.
Quote by Iamonfire
Alright.

So there's no way to get a nice boosted sound from my amp?

What should I do?

I have an AD50VT 1x12, and what i used to do was store my favourite setting on the channel modes so channel 1 was how i usually have it set up and channel 2 had slightly higher gain setting with more mids which gave the "image" of boosting with an overdrive pedal. I would switch it with a footswitch (connected to the footswitch jack, not an FX pedal).
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
I have an AD50VT 1x12, and what i used to do was store my favourite setting on the channel modes so channel 1 was how i usually have it set up and channel 2 had slightly higher gain setting with more mids which gave the "image" of boosting with an overdrive pedal. I would switch it with a footswitch (connected to the footswitch jack, not an FX pedal).

Well what I have right now is a designated clean channel and a distorted one because I love my cleans but I need a distorted channel for the music I play.

Hopefully the MXR 108 will work for shaping my tone/boosting/giving me an in between setting between my clean and heaviness. What I want is like, an overdriven tone so I can palm mute with it and do chords and have it sound rough, but then switch over to my heavy distortion for the chorus of a song or for the solo, you know?
Quote by Gibson_Left
Scoop your mids. Teh heavynesssss

no, don't. scooping mids makes you lose clarity and definition and not cut through any mix if you're playing live, because in terms of frequencies, the guitar is a mid-range instrument. Well, scooping them a little in the name of tone-shaping is fine, but don't scoop them too much.

edit: also, with the 2 button footswitch, you can set the 2nd button to switch to manual mode. I'd have heavy distortion settings on manual mode, with my almost clean/boosted settings on the channels.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
no, don't. scooping mids makes you lose clarity and definition and not cut through any mix if you're playing live, because in terms of frequencies, the guitar is a mid-range instrument. Well, scooping them a little in the name of tone-shaping is fine, but don't scoop them too much.

edit: also, with the 2 button footswitch, you can set the 2nd button to switch to manual mode. I'd have heavy distortion settings on manual mode, with my almost clean/boosted settings on the channels.

That's right! I forgot about that!

So instead of effects, I can put the second button on manual and use it for my distortion!

Thank you. I shall do that until I get the MXR 108 for my birthday.
Quote by Iamonfire
Well what I have right now is a designated clean channel and a distorted one because I love my cleans but I need a distorted channel for the music I play.

Hopefully the MXR 108 will work for shaping my tone/boosting/giving me an in between setting between my clean and heaviness. What I want is like, an overdriven tone so I can palm mute with it and do chords and have it sound rough, but then switch over to my heavy distortion for the chorus of a song or for the solo, you know?

For an over driven tone your gonna need a distortion pedal the mxr108 can do that to a tube amp be if your looking for a big boost it will send your amp into clipping. Are you wanting something like a solo boost or a full out clean to overdrive at the push of a button.
Quote by Blompcube

Could you honestly not tell I was kidding?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
For an over driven tone your gonna need a distortion pedal the mxr108 can do that to a tube amp be if your looking for a big boost it will send your amp into clipping. Are you wanting something like a solo boost or a full out clean to overdrive at the push of a button.

I guess I am in need of a distortion pedal then. I am looking for more of an overdrive at the push of a button, but if I can get a solo boost in the same pedal, that'd be great.
Quote by Iamonfire
I guess I am in need of a distortion pedal then. I am looking for more of an overdrive at the push of a button, but if I can get a solo boost in the same pedal, that'd be great.

Best option will probably be a metal muff with top boost... or do like Blompcube stated...And if it doesnt sound good you can always return it, some modeling amps dont like distortion pedals so you might want to test it first.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Best option will probably be a metal muff with top boost... or do like Blompcube stated...And if it doesnt sound good you can always return it, some modeling amps dont like distortion pedals so you might want to test it first.

Sounds good.

What I might do is do what Blompcube stated and then get an MXR phaser so that I won't have to worry about not being able to footswitch effects anymore. The phaser and the tremolo are the only ones I use anyways, sometimes the chorus.