well Im trying to figure out if its possible at all to install an official floyd rose on an ibanez iceman IC-400. Im a complete newb at customizing and all taht stuff. So I was wondering if its possible at all to do that.

Im trying to instal it cause I want to get an IC-400 cause I really like the sound of it and I want to get a floyd rose on it, my only other choice would be the IC-350 model but the IC-350 model is a ton more rare and more expensive than the IC-400 (unless I find a really good deal from somebody who doesnt know any better).

And I was hoping to get an estimated cost and time it would take to getting one put on (my dads a guitar expert and a real handy man so he knows how to do that stuff. He doesnt really know that much abotu electrics though (considering he only plays accoustic)

I would appreciate the help =)

~GxT
Well, from what I have heard, you'd be better off buyting a guitar that already had one rather than install one your self. It is pretty costly to buy one and have it professionally installed, but if your dad is a pro and can do it for you than all you really need to worry about is the cost of a good floyd rose.
Honestly, I'd just buy an S320.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
well I just saw on warmoth that the current prices for a floyd rose whammy are around 180$ USD (which is quite a bit out of my price range) so I think I might just end up keeping it normall unless I use most of my christmas money to install one.

I have my heart set on getting some type of iceman, Ive never used a whammy bar though, it just seems like a nice luxory to have on my new guitar. Do you guys know how long it would take for me and my dad to do it?

Looking on warmoth it seems like it would take a couple of hours max but then again I know nothing about installing whammy bars on guitars. Replacing the bridge, taking out the strings, etc.

Is it worth 180$ to get one? is that way over priced though (to me it seems like warmoth is really expensive in every aspect). Im sure I could get one thats slightly cheaper if I looked around.

im not really sure for me not really using a whammy bar ever if it would be neccessary for me to get one put on my new dream guitar, The only reason I want one real badly is cause I could do all those awesome effects and I could also use it in place of pulls and stuff.

thanks in advance =)

~GxT
ebay!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
check the persons feedback then, if you buy from an ebay shop or some one with a high feedback it will be fine
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
^ehm, an S320 is $499, and has a ZR.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
well I cant really afford any of those lol, I really want an iceman though.

I still have no idea if its near impossible cause ive never actually seen an iceman (other than the IC-350) that has a tremelo in general (let alone a floyd rose)
to answer some question. it's a good bit of routing... CAREFUL routing. it took me a day just because i'm a measure 8 times cut once person. depending on what kind of locking nut you are going to have you may have to route the nut or as i did use a wood file and heavy grit sandpaper. it's a lot of work and it's and expensive process. it cost me a total on 300$ with parts and router bits and such. it's a plunge that unless you are serious you should make. me personally i would rather buy a guitar with one then go through that process again.
Or just buy STM1. Comes with edge III, which you can take out and replace with somethign better.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
I wouldn't recommend it because it's not cost or time effective, but if you are do not getting anything other than an original Floyd Rose! Schallers (the other one on Warmoth), the edge and edge pro are also equally good choices. There's no point in cutting up a decent guitar to shove a **** trem in it.

If you want a iceman with a FR on it I would recommend getting the Dragonforce guy's sig, the edge III isn't that bad (****ing internet hype I doubt that most of the people that bash them have actually played one), but it will eventually need replacing if you're a heavy trem user.
it just plain wont work, i have an IC-400 and the body is much too skinny to put a floyd on. look into a top mount kahler or something
Quote by omega5
it just plain wont work, i have an IC-400 and the body is much too skinny to put a floyd on. look into a top mount kahler or something

ah yes, the Kahler. This is a good idea for you.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
They're more expensive (around 2x the cost), but there is less routing to do.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
ehh, well I dont really have any source of income. I cant really afford 2x the price of a floyd rose D:

what exactly is routing though (im sorry I know nothing about this stuff)

I guess ill just leave out the tremelo idea unless I find something else that will work.
routing is cutting away wood. you'd have to route out a huge hole for a floyd
Quote by oneblackened
They're more expensive (around 2x the cost), but there is less routing to do.

Kahler with Kahler string lock is 170 off wammiworld.com
OFR with Schaller lock is 170 of warmoth.com

looks like the same price.

know your stuff before you post please.
Quote by tikidrummer
Kahler with Kahler string lock is 170 off wammiworld.com
OFR with Schaller lock is 170 of warmoth.com

looks like the same price.

know your stuff before you post please.

lol, that was just from memory. Anyway, Kahler String Loks are apparently a POS. so you'd have to buy a Floyd locking nut too.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden