Okay this has been happening since I first bought my guitar (Squier Strat).
I tune my guitar no problems... then maybe after a few minutes of playing my third string (G) drops out of tune a tad bit so when I play a power chord say:

G|-4-
D|-4-
A|-2-

It sounds like terd salad because my guitar is in standard tuning and the 3rd string drops down almost a 1/2 step. How do I fix this or is just the cheap guitar?

Locking nuts ftw I suppose?
how old are your strings, because mine's doing the same thing, but i desperately need some new strings, haha. I'm just too lazy to change them.

Because once they get old, they "die", and can't hold their tension and go out of tune.
O O

___
try thinker strings or a differnt brand wahat kind are you useing?
gauge and brand?
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
yeah, it's a likely squier thing, my squier goes outta tune like that *clicks fingers*

tho ive never had it go outta tune by playing powerchords, though, string bending knocks it straight out lol

edit:

also, i agree with 2nd poster, new strings may help
Quote by jwax
try thinker strings or a differnt brand wahat kind are you useing?
gauge and brand?

D'Adderio Light Tops'Heavy Bottoms (.10-.52) I upgraded before to .13-.56 and BAD THINGS happened. The strings are new too, just put them in today.
did u properly stretch them out when u put em on? like bend the **** out of em and retune and repeat??
Quote by LesPaulHer0
"in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares"

Gear:
Dean 10K Commemorative Razorback
Ibanez RG 3EX1
BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Fender Acoustic
Marshall MG250DFX
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Full Chorus
G-strings are always pretty naughty. Hehe...

Oooooookay.... now, it is probably a problem with your tuners slipping. It's a squire, so I wouldn't be too surprised if that was the problem. A locking nut may not be the way to go (unless you wanna put an FR into there; not a wise investment decision). A better idea would be to buy locking tuners, a slightly cheaper alternative. It'll certainly be easier to change strings on locking tuners than a locking nut.

But yeah, I've found that G-strings always go out of tune the easiest. Never knew why though.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Quote by Dirt Bag Boy
did u properly stretch them out when u put em on? like bend the **** out of em and retune and repeat??

Not really, I guess I can give it a whirl.
I can keep my cheap guitar in tune. You gotta stretch those strings. Sometimes you can tighten the tuners, the little screw that holds the knob on with some brands will give some adjustment. And avoid using the wammy on a squire or lower price guitars I just blocked mine did wonders for the tuning stability. The plastic nut used doesnt help with tuning and the string trees can make problems to. The thing with the g-string is guitars originally were made to have a wound not plain string there. Youll notice the top 3 wound ones dont seem to have the tuning issues as the plain strings.
brand new string need time to work in.

wrapping them is important too of course. 2-3 wraps around the tuner. and so on.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011