I need help I have one month to read 3 books and I just started on my first one which is called Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. This book is so damn boring. I just wanted to know if I would be safe by just reading the cliff notes.
p.s it is an honors class.
Guitars
Squire Strat
1959 Gibson HummingBird Acoustic
1999 Gibson SongBird Acoustic
Pedals
Bad Monkey
Line 6 Pocket Pod
JH-1 Wah (Jimi Hendrix Sig Wah)
Amp
All Tube Marshall JTM-30
Quote by mrcrono
Do what I did:

Cliff Notes
Fail 1st marking period
Attempt to make up for it the following marking periods
Fail
Community College
??????
Profit

I guess I am stuck reading this **** but like what kinda of questions do they ask about the book.
Guitars
Squire Strat
1959 Gibson HummingBird Acoustic
1999 Gibson SongBird Acoustic
Pedals
Bad Monkey
Line 6 Pocket Pod
JH-1 Wah (Jimi Hendrix Sig Wah)
Amp
All Tube Marshall JTM-30
I lol'd at the title.
Quote by DaliLama
Go to a friend and say "what the difference between soda and your soda?............(pause).............sperm!" Then you start masturbating furiously into their can

My gear
ESP EC1000fr
Marshall 1960a
Peavy 6505
Quote by freedoms_stain
1 month to read 3 books is generous, my sister reads 3 a week for english lit at uni.

Same, my sister has aabout 3 bookcases because of uni. Glad I'm not doing English
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
who knows what questions they will ask because we don't know your teacher. I have three books to read this summer as well, East of Eden, which is going to be lonnnnnnnnnnnnng as hell, 1984, which i will hopefully enjoy, and some other book I don't remember the title.

use sparknotes/cliffsnotes at your own risk. it's always better to read the book because you get the small details that those sites won't include, but if you're lazy, take the easy way out.

Quote by Cryptorchild
Sparknotes.
Just bull**** your summer work,
I bull**** it and i do WELL

fixed
Just read the book, if you really understand what it's about, you might like it. I loved it. Cliff Notes do NOT work for honors classes, you're supposed to go deeper into things, and cliff notes or spark notes just don't go as far as you need.

And for the record, I've read five books this summer already, so hop to it.
You mean your school cares if you read during the summer? My school gives a list of books to read and said they'll collect book reports but they never do.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by freedoms_stain
1 month to read 3 books is generous, my sister reads 3 a week for english lit at uni.

How the fuck can you read that quickly and take any of it in? And where do you find the time?

Wow.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
How the fuck can you read that quickly and take any of it in? And where do you find the time?

Wow.
Someone at a decent reading level can read a book in a few hours spread over a couple of days.

People who do English lit don't have many hours of teaching time compared to other subjects, partly because there's not much to teach and partly because they need their students to read a butt load so they can teach them whwat there is to teach about it.
Your best bet is to just read the books man. I'm at an honors level as well and the comprehension required for the novels you will be studying will probably go past simple cliff notes. Sometimes, if I really feel like I need to understand something more or just review what I read, I'll use cliff notes. Sparknotes.com is a great site for this purpose and they usually explain a lot about what's going on in the book in a way that a confused reader can understand.

Oh, and just for the hell of it, my books are:

Slaughterhouse-Five, Kurt Vonnegut (my name is Kurt as well )
Brown: The Last Discovery of America, Richard Rodriguez
For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway
When people are free to do as they please
they usually imitate each other
Last edited by RewindByChance at Jul 9, 2008,
I've read Slaughterhouse-Five, and am now reading Breakfast of Champions. He's the most interesting and intellectual author ever (whose books I've read). They're so full of mind blowing ideas and theories that it makes me mad.
Read a chapter, and then read the chapter on spark notes. Repeat.

I think that is an actual good way to do it. And reading isn't hard dude. I'm reading my 7th book since the beginning of June, 3 of which are for school.

The Picture of Dorian Gray
Other Voices, Other Rooms
The Sound and the Fury
Capote biography
All The Pretty Horses
The Stranger
The Poisonwood Bible (extremely good!)
You lazy bum, just read the fucking book. Yes, Dickens is verbose, yes, he's tedious and yes, Pip is asking for a backhand slap in three quarters of the chapters. But that's exactly what makes the book so easy to learn about - Dickens's prolix descriptions of just about everything give a reader the argument that he creates characters to look at rather than develop them. But stop being such an unappreciative ass of literature and just read it. Perhaps you may grow as a person, or some other such bollocks.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Great Expectations is a great novel.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

i personally thought great expectations was an awful book. way to boring.
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
I never read the books for summer reading... except when LOTR was an option.

I just always did extra credit stuff to make up for it.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Read Great Expectations.
Then read A Scanner Darkly.
Then read The Illustrated Man.
Then read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Then read Dandelion Wine.

but don't, actually, because you obviously wouldn't appreciate their genius.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
'Summer' and 'Reading' are two words that should NEVER go in the sentence. v_v
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
That book was awful. I have to take a test on one which I'm gonna sparknote and another that I have to write about. My teacher has been in a mental hospital and they still hired the woman!