Hi All -

I have a quick, but specific question. I am looking to buy a Yamaha Pacifica for my girlfriend. It seems to be a good starter guitar for the types of music she wants to play. I've been searching eBay and Craigslist, but I've ran into a bit of a problem. There are a bunch of different models, 012 (PoS made of agathis), 112J (decent guitar made of alder), 112V, etc.

I was wondering - is there any way to easily differentiate between the different models? I would prefer some kind of visual difference (easier to check), but any difference you could suggest would be great.

Thanks in advance.
If it's new, the 112 will have a sticker on the pickguard saying something like HOLY SHIT, SOLID FUCKING ALDER BODY.

Also, the 112V looks different to the other two:

Note how the humbucker has its own ring, and the knobs are not on the pickguard.

I suggest that if you can afford the 112V, get it. It's the best one of the three.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by sashki
If it's new, the 112 will have a sticker on the pickguard saying something like HOLY SHIT, SOLID FUCKING ALDER BODY.

Also, the 112V looks different to the other two:

Note how the humbucker has its own ring, and the knobs are not on the pickguard.

I suggest that if you can afford the 112V, get it. It's the best one of the three.

Thanks for the tip. Very few of the guitars I've been looking at are new, so I've never seen the sticker...d'oh.

I definitely see the difference between the 112V and the other models, but what about between the 112J and the 012?

This is actually turning out to be more frustrating than I initially anticipated...
get the older 112 with the HSS thats all within the pickguard

heres mine, and its always served me well

Please ignore the MG im trying to change it...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
lmao thanks

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
The Yamaha Pacifica 112 is great value for the money. I believe that mine plays at least as well as most of the $1000 fat strats I've played. It is a great choice for a starter guitar, and is fun platform for mods if you like it.

I agree that the 112V is particularly beautiful & great value for money. If I had seen it at the store when I bought my 112, it would have come home with me =^)
Wait, how much more is the 112V? The 112J is a FANTASTIC guitar if there's a substantial price difference and even if the V is better, don't let anyone try and convince you that the 112J isn't amazing, particularly for the price.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
I saw a new one yesterday for $248 CDN -- this is really close to the price of the 112Js, if I recall correctly. At most there is a $50 difference. But yeah, the 112Js are also great, so I wouldn't sweat it if you come across a good deal for a 112J.