1 3%
5-6 hours
3 10%
6-7 hours
0 0%
7-more... hours
2 6%
Voters: 31.
What do you practice when you are playing guitar?

and how long do you and when do you start and end?

I start practicing about 11pm and end at 2pm and sometimes 4pm

I practice mostly songs and a few exercises.

Poll coming
Wow, I was just about to make a thread on this.

I feel really jealous of a lot of UGers, cos some have been playing for 2, maybe 3 years, and they're amazing. I've been playing for over 5, and I suck, at solos especially. Maybe I just don't practice enough...

I just play when I want to. I never force myself to practice, I'd get bored of it that way. I learn songs and play excercises from guitar magazines, usually for about 2-3 hours throughout the day.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 9, 2008,
imagine how i feel i`ve only been playing for a month or two now that`s being crap
Quote by ruffdog64
imagine how i feel i`ve only been playing for a month or two now that`s being crap

Well, you're just starting.
I see people who've been playing half as long, who play 10 times better. That's kinda discouraging...
i`ve read so many threads where people compare them selves to others and i see them getting dispondant so i don`t , each time i play something makes a little more sense or sounds a little better one day my wife will be impressed , at least the cats stop running away now
Quote by sashki
Wow, I was just about to make a thread on this.

I feel really jealous of a lot of UGers, cos some have been playing for 2, maybe 3 years, and they're amazing. I've been playing for over 5, and I suck, at solos especially. Maybe I just don't practice enough...

I just play when I want to. I never force myself to practice, I'd get bored of it that way. I learn songs and play excercises from guitar magazines, usually for about 2-3 hours throughout the day.

Sounds exactly like me.

I'd never be able to keep a practice regimen or a specific time when I practice... I'd get bored and quit. Basically, I play whenever I'm not out with my friends, working, or on UG.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Sounds exactly like me.

I'd never be able to keep a practice regimen or a specific time when I practice... I'd get bored and quit. Basically, I play whenever I'm not out with my friends, working, or on UG.

same as that with me i don`t have a time limit on when i have to be good , before i die would be nice
Quote by sashki
Well, you're just starting.
I see people who've been playing half as long, who play 10 times better. That's kinda discouraging...

Don't worry about it...I've been playing a little over a year now and only recently started to experiment with solo's. I practice A LOT more now, and it really helped. Just focus on what you want to play, and practice it. I used to jump around a lot, which is why I STILL don't know how to play all of Sweet Child O' Mine...which is one of the first songs I tried...

so yeh, don't get discouraged dude...practice and smoke all the noobs...like me......lol
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I practice every day, either at home or on the gig (if you can't practice on stage, where can you practice? )

I find it important for me to practice scales in all positions (pentatonic, major, and various minors), to learn new chord positions and to learn new songs. I also practice various ornaments (hammer-ons, vibrato, bends, etc.) while practicing improvised solos over a MIDI file or Band-in-a-Box chord progression.

I save the most difficult new fingerings until after I'm warmed up, and play something that is fun for me to end every practice session.

Insights and incites by Notes
funny you say that about warming up being new to this an "F" chord is still a night mare for me but after practicing either chords or scales i can now hold it with no buzzing woo hoo! if only for a couple of strums
Quote by ruffdog64
funny you say that about warming up being new to this an "F" chord is still a night mare for me but after practicing either chords or scales i can now hold it with no buzzing woo hoo! if only for a couple of strums

Play it as a power-chord instead:

e|-----
B|-----
G|-----
D|--3--
A|--3--
E|--1--
Well i always play 4-6 hours a day. I usually practice with songs but if I'm really struggling with a technique or song i practice exercises 8 hours a day straight. And i also play Camptown Lady and speed it up so it helps with my soloing A LOT. When i feel like I'm ready, I challenge myself by learning a new song. I've been playing for 1 Year 5 months and I'm learned The Trooper by Iron Maiden. I know most of the solo but 2:17-2:21 I'm having trouble with because I can get it started but when it gets sloppy when i try to keep it going.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I got my guitar in early 2006 and I still suck. It's mainly because I have no idea what to do. I try songs, but my interest in music changes before I get to finish the song. Plus it's frustrating doing the same thing over and over with no success. I try doing patterns and stuff, but I don't know enough and I don't see any progress. This is why I'm sometimes on and off. I'd probably be great now had I'd practiced for hours a day up until this point. Now I'm atleast learning theory but I don't know what to do with it. I don't want to quit, I want to get better, but I don't really know how.