Page 1 of 3
Hey guys and gals,

I'd like to get into punk rock guitar playing a whole lot more then I currently am, and I want you guys to suggest some bands I should listen to to get a good "taste" for punk. I know that this is a WAY WAY subjective thing but surely there are bands in the punk world that are regarded as "good" and that were influential to the whole movement and such.

Hope you understand the request.

Cheers.
Search button. That's completely subjective though.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
they wernt realy that influential but i like the acrobats they r kinda punk
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
influential to the whole movement: Dead Kennedys, The Ramones, The Clash, Minor Threat, Misfits

influential to the whole movement but terrible: Sex Pistols
_______
|||||||||||||||
Lagwagon, Bouncing Souls, NOFX, the Lawrence Arms, and early Alkaline Trio (anything before Good Mourning).

Not necesarily incredibly influential or anything but it is definitely some good punk rock.

Then of course there are bands like Pennywise, Good Riddance, and Bad Religion, but the 5 on top were my favorite in my punk rock days.
Uh... The Clash, The Ramones, Dead Boys, The Germs, The Misfits, Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols and all that jazz...
you should look into Stiff Little Fingers, Dead Boys, U.K. Subs, Black Flag, The Adolescents and M.D.C.
The Dead Boys, Black Flag, The Misifts (although the only good album is Static Age), T.S.O.L, Crass, Minor Threat, and the Meat Puppets self titled album (although all of their stuff is good in my opinion)

Jack my swag
Last edited by gopherthegreat at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by Cameronrobson
At the drive-in's old stuff.

I love Post-Hardcore.

There is no distinct music you should listen to be "more punk rock". Just play. You don't even need to be good at guitar. Half the people who play punk aren't.
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
Quote by Seryaph
Lagwagon, Bouncing Souls, NOFX, the Lawrence Arms, and early Alkaline Trio (anything before Good Mourning). Pennywise, Good Riddance, and Bad Religion,

Throw in the Offspring and you've got yourself a list of punk's founding fathers.
Quote by RiotRiotUpstart
Throw in the Offspring and you've got yourself a list of punk's founding fathers.

I'd like to add The New York Dolls, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, The Buzzcocks, and Television.
Quote by dannyisokay
influential to the whole movement: Dead Kennedys, The Ramones, The Clash, Minor Threat, Misfits

agreed

Quote by dannyisokay
influential to the whole movement but terrible: Sex Pistols

and agreed
Ok, everybody! STOP RECOMMENDING THE RAMONES, THE CLASH AND THE SEX PISTOLS. These are NOT obscure underground bands. Everyone and their dog knows who they are and if you can only recommend those three you have no business being here in the first place.

Dude seriously, there are like a billion exact copies of this thread floating around. But just so this isn't spam:

The Dictators
Toy Dolls
Stiff Little Fingers
Penetration
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
I like how you put Stiff little Fingers BEFORE Penetration, CWG, got something on your mind? *wink wink*
Oh wow. Yes actually. That was odd.

EDIT: If you look at it with that in mind it actually works out to be domination, toys, stiff little fingers and penetration.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75

Quote by MattTheArsonist

Quote by UraniYum

Last edited by CowsWithGuns at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Ok, everybody! STOP RECOMMENDING THE RAMONES, THE CLASH AND THE SEX PISTOLS. These are NOT obscure underground bands. Everyone and their dog knows who they are and if you can only recommend those three you have no business being here in the first place.

Dude seriously, there are like a billion exact copies of this thread floating around. But just so this isn't spam:

The Dictators
Toy Dolls
Stiff Little Fingers
Penetration

Just because they're not underground doesn't mean they didn't influence the whole underground scene
Quote by TheOperator
Just because they're not underground doesn't mean they didn't influence the whole underground scene

That's not the point. EVERYONE knows who they are. Why recommend something so well-known? The tread starter could get those 3 from any moron he met randomly, I think we should be able to do a bit better.

Quote by MattTheArsonist

Quote by UraniYum

The Dictators are one of the most fun bands to play along with ever.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
That's not the point. EVERYONE knows who they are. Why recommend something so well-known? The tread starter could get those 3 from any moron he met randomly, I think we should be able to do a bit better.

he asked for bands influential to the movement, jerk. obscure bands are not influential. that's why they're called obscure. not really heard of, you know?
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by CowsWithGuns

Quote by Thread starter
Hey guys and gals,

I'd like to get into punk rock guitar playing a whole lot more then I currently am, and I want you guys to suggest some bands I should listen to to get a good "taste" for punk. I know that this is a WAY WAY subjective thing but surely there are bands in the punk world that are regarded as "good" and that were influential to the whole movement and such.
Hope you understand the request.

Cheers.

None of the bands you listed were nearly as influential to the whole movement the clash, the ramones, and the sex pistols.
Quote by dannyisokay
he asked for bands influential to the movement, jerk. obscure bands are not influential. that's why they're called obscure. not really heard of, you know?

Underground bands can be influential. I'll bet if you walked up to a random person they would not know Flux of Pink Indians, but they are influential.

Jack my swag
Quote by dannyisokay

If bands like Moss Icon and Native nod hadn't been around, today's music would be comepletely differant. We probobly wouldn't have all those scene kids.

Moss Icon or no scene kids... tough decision.
two and a half men.
Last edited by Cameronrobson at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Sultans of Ping FC

It's easy for you to say thing's will get better
You haven't lost your brand new sweater

DanRev hooked me on that song.
Let me know how it is. I'm afraid that nothing will live up to the greatness of that song.
YOU'RE A BIG, FAT MEANYPANTS AND THOSE 3 BANDS MATTER MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE IN THE PUNK SCENE CUZ THEY WERE ON TV!!!!!!

That's basically all I got from the whining of the two who quoted me. Since neither of you are intelligent enough to grasp what I'm getting at I'll try a different approach.

Threads like these are made so that the thread starter can find artists they don't already know about. When someone asks for influential punk bands do you really think that mindlessly parroting "THE RAMONES, THE CLASH AND THE SEX PISTOLS!!!!!!", really tells them anything they don't already know? Of course not! Therefore it is not helpful. If nothing else post after post of people recommending between 1 and 3 of them is completely unnecessary.

By the by, guess what? There is no band influential to the whole movement, that isn't possible. If you honestly think it is you're knowledge of punk music must be exceptionally limited. It's too large and diverse a genre. Finally, if anyone says "NO CUZ THE RAMONES WERE THE FIRST PUNK BAND!!!" I'm going to laugh and laugh and laugh.

Also Subhumans, The Slits and The Cramps were also pretty influential bands.

Quote by MattTheArsonist

Quote by UraniYum

Quote by dannyisokay
influential to the whole movement: Dead Kennedys, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Misfits

influential to the whole movement but terrible: The Clash, Minor Threat

Fixed.

Quote by RiotRiotUpstart
I ****ing hate the Clash.

+1
^The Misfits are the most terrible band mentioned

Quote by RiotRiotUpstart
I'm tired of the Clash being mentioned in this thread. I ****ing hate the Clash.

Oh RiotRiotUpstart, I bet you call Agnostic Front the best punk band of all time, or Madball or Sick of it all or Cro Mags.......wait you don´t have a shaved head, then you´ll never be able to see them live, since if they catch you with hair, they´ll take place on your head and you have to nibble their dejection

Listen to some old stuff of THE CLASH!
Ramones are extremely important, you learn a lot how to do simple work
then to Crass for texts

and for the ultimative solution try the Subhumans
If you want to play punk, you should listen to something incredibly obscure and base your whole punk playing off of that. Instant originality.

Whereas if you get into the well known stuff that everyone knows, and the obscure stuff that just rehashes the well known stuff, it's a dead end.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
If you want to play punk, you should listen to something incredibly obscure and base your whole punk playing off of that. Instant originality.

Whereas if you get into the well known stuff that everyone knows, and the obscure stuff that just rehashes the well known stuff, it's a dead end.

and at this point The Clash comes in......lots of people know Guns of Brixton and London Calling, but outside the UK just people who are interested in music know White Riot, and just really few people are into genius songs like Garageband, 1977 or Jail guitar doors and at this point you can start, if you listen to unknown stuff from the garage next to you, you get in danger that they just cover Blink.
Quote by Seryaph
Lagwagon, Bouncing Souls, NOFX, the Lawrence Arms, and early Alkaline Trio (anything before Good Mourning).

Not necesarily incredibly influential or anything but it is definitely some good punk rock.

Then of course there are bands like Pennywise, Good Riddance, and Bad Religion, but the 5 on top were my favorite in my punk rock days.

I believe he wanted some good "punk" bands, not ****...
Page 1 of 3