I've heard good things about Tokai and was interested in a LP copy. However, I can't seem to find it anywhere except for ebay. Any good websites to buy from that will ship to the US? Thanks.
Quote by sashki
Do Tokai even make guitars any more? I thought they stopped in the 80's.

If that's true, you'll have to look around pawn shops, second-hand instrument shops, check your local newspaper or guitar mag for private sales, craigslist, maybe www.elderly.com

Nah, going really strong actually. Not surprising really, they make some great copies. Just search Tokai Guitars into google, they have a website, you can find dealers there.
Ebay's your best bet tbh. Also check out Burny, Greco Edwards and Orville, as Tokai prices seem to be on the up. I own an ls125SEB and it's the best singlecut I've ever played (bar a £3000 custom shop LP). Seriously good guitars.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I got my Tokai from my local guitar shop, I didnt realise they were so rare.
Quote by DimebagRob
I got my Tokai from my local guitar shop, I didnt realise they were so rare.

From what i've read, they are quite rare in the US because Gibson is constantly on their backs.

I've looked into Edwards and found this site, http://guitarjapan.com/edwards/edwards-gutar1.html

Is this a good site? It's quite expensive (I'm willing to spend tho) and I haven't dealt with foreign shops before.
Quote by icyfire
From what i've read, they are quite rare in the US because Gibson is constantly on their backs.

I've looked into Edwards and found this site, http://guitarjapan.com/edwards/edwards-gutar1.html

Is this a good site? It's quite expensive (I'm willing to spend tho) and I haven't dealt with foreign shops before.

Ah well you see I'm in the UK.
Quote by icyfire

Yepp. Edwards makes good Les Paul copies. I can almost guess they're on pair with Gibson Standard. Japanese quality is still at a very solid level.

But be noted of that these copies will NEVER feel and play like the real thing. Part of that the wood and parts are not completely identical, the pickups are different and hell, even the shape is not the same if you carefully inspect them.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Jul 9, 2008,
Hey..

I own a Tokai LP.

It's the Love Rock model.

I got mine from the local shop in the town near me.

In my opinion very good quality, and some reviews of seen not long ago state that they are actually rivalling/possibly better than Gibson, people just buy gibsons now for the label.
Quote by icyfire

yeah, that's your problem... EDIT: i got my edwards from ishibashi.co.jp
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Buying used is definitely your best bet. Most people agree that the newer ones aren't up to the standards of the 70s and 80s ones. I got mine in a local music shop - small places or private sellers are probably where most of the older guitars will be sold.
Quote by scott__
Buying used is definitely your best bet. Most people agree that the newer ones aren't up to the standards of the 70s and 80s ones. I got mine in a local music shop - small places or private sellers are probably where most of the older guitars will be sold.

agreed. i've got an '84 tokai goldstar (strat) and it's great. as you say, the newer ones probably aren't just as nice; however, on places like ebay, newer ones can go for half as much as the older ones (especially if they have the "lawsuit" logo), so you can kinda make a judgement call there as the new ones (as long as they're japanese-made) are still pretty nice. I mean, i'd rather have a newer MIJ tokai than an MIM standard Fender- no contest. Just watch out in shops though- I've seen newer ones go for the same (or more) as the older 80s ones go for on e-bay (though of course in a store you can try it out first and there's less risk).

also, the 80s ones just after the lawsuit logo was changed go for less too, and are allegedly the same guitar with a different logo.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the other thing about e-bay is that colour plays a major part in prices... it almost seems like a worse guitar in the "right" colour is worth more than a better guitar in the "wrong" colour... if you're flexible with the colour, you can get great bargains. sunburst in strats, and sunburst and blonde in teles, seem to be worth a premium over other colours.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i know a website if your a lefty when buying a Tokai
i think its "mustangguitars.co.uk"
they ship to the US also , they're pretty cheap too