What is the function of a noise gate? is it really necessary...
It depends on how loud and how much distortion you use, as well as the gear you play with.

If you have a strat with single coils like me, you definately want a noise gate.

The function is to stop unwanted humming and noise from the amp when you aren't playing
It depends, if you run ultra high gain and theres large amounts of hum and background noise, then they reduce it.
noisegate is great, dude. My amp used to have so much buzz, but then I turned the noise gate on. Now it's silent.
I plays guitars.
Yea if you play anything with a lot of gain in high volume settings (Like a gig), you'll love a Noise Gate. I like the MXR Gate more than the Boss one. The Boss is hard to understand and use practically, too many knobs.

Honestly Noise is Noise. I don't want to cancel NoiseA and some of NoiseB, I want to cancel... well Noise. The MXR has one knob that works beautifully
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
do they suck your tone at all though? been thinking about this myself since a gig i played a few days ago
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
A good noise gate will not suck all your tone. Think about it this way... with tons of feedback your tone sucks anyway. If you dont have a LOT of feedback though i say dont get it. Just adjust your amp settings and guitar pickups back downed a bit until you get no feedback. It sounds more pure that way with less stuff. But if you are playing hi gain and get lots of feedback then ya need it.
they dont suck tone, but if you set it a certain way it can cut off sustain if you have it one while playing. at least mine does anyways.
My stuff
Sunn Solarus Head (temporary)
Sunn 2 x 15 cab
Shecter C1 Hellraiser
Boss MD-2
Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by qotsakyuss
do they suck your tone at all though? been thinking about this myself since a gig i played a few days ago

Not if you get a good one, look into the MXR Smartgate and ISP Decimator line, they both have good reputations and I can personally attest to the ISP line being good; I use mine a lot.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Flux'D
Yea if you play anything with a lot of gain in high volume settings (Like a gig), you'll love a Noise Gate. I like the MXR Gate more than the Boss one. The Boss is hard to understand and use practically, too many knobs.

Honestly Noise is Noise. I don't want to cancel NoiseA and some of NoiseB, I want to cancel... well Noise. The MXR has one knob that works beautifully

"Threshold" and "Decay"... way too many knobs - you're right

The Boss NS-2 works wonders if you need something to eliminate feedback and hum!
Noise gate is something I wouldn't want to go cheap on though, just because some of the cheaper ones, like the BOSS, have been accused of sucking out some tone. ISP is probably the best one,
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

noise gates a gr8 for reducing feedback, hum, etc, but they reduce sustain. Well mine does.