Page 1 of 3
Hiya Everybody!

UPDATE: Project on hold until i can go pick up parts, see posts on other pages for details

3 piece Alder Body, HSH, no pickguard (Arrived)
Ibanez Lo-pro gold Bridge (Ordered)
Dimarzio Evolution in bridge (Arrived)
Dimarzio FS-1 Single Coil (Ordered)
Seymour Duncan Jazz in neck (Ordered)
Custom DNA inlay Neck
Dunlop gold Straplocks (Ordered)
Wilkinson EZ Lok Tuners (Ordered)

I will be asking loads of q's and posting tons of pics so stick with me
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Aug 14, 2008,
Look foward to the progress

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
OKay so i went out and looked at paint

i bought black primer

Duplicolor Sandable Primer

I also looked for clear, but they only had acrylic laquer, and the finishing process i'm following required Nitrocellulose...

Would this be an issue? Considering i'm using enamel oil based model paints for the middle coat.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
^ i already have it, and also, i do not have the tools to do so (router, saw etc)
I don't have the skill/energy/patience to chisel it,so i took the plunge (110 plus shipping)

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
^ there are no cnc's in my area

also, does anyone know where in mississauga/oakville (Greater Toronto Area) i can find Nitrocellulose Laquer? i checked canadian tire and home depot...

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Will "testors" enamel model paints work for the swirl?

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Okay, i've decided to use testors paint for the swirl

Any rec. For the middle pup?

i want a single coil good for acoustic like cleans.

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by seek_&_destroy
...Any rec. For the middle pup?
DiMarzio FS-1 always made me smile
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
aight i'm having troubles deciding on the tuners...

Since i'm ordering a wizard neck, sperzels will require drilling... and i don't think it's worth the risk

So i ask you, what are the best gold tuners that fit an ibanez neck?

and update: Put a solid coat of primer on it, and sanded it down a bit, wi 400 grit, and i'm going to buy another can and hopefully finish priming this weekend ( pics tomorrow i promise)

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Gotoh tuners

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Any experience on "Wilkinson EZ Lok" tuners?

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
OKAY! pics! maybe now you ppl will be more responsive

Body Front:

Body Back:

Body Primed Front:

Body Primed Back:

One of the many small sand throughs in the primer

the edges are wwaaay too easy to sand through i think when i'm done the last coat, i'mma leave the edges as they are.

Bridge Pup (Dimarzio Evo)

Also there are a few small chips and dents in the wood that i didn't notice until i was inspecting/sanding the primer... They're tiny, but i don't think primer will be able to fill them, so i'll just dab on some wood filler and sand before i put the last coat of primer on

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
at first i thought the thread title was S&M jem build and i thought that was gonna be some gimped out jem with pvc and zips all over it, but im glad to see it isnt, looks awsome.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
at first i thought the thread title was S&M jem build and i thought that was gonna be some gimped out jem with pvc and zips all over it, but im glad to see it isnt, looks awsome.

LOL
hmm oops:P

and thx for the comment

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Was the body fine sanded or sealed before you primered? Because in the pictures it looks like you can see the grain of the wood through the primer.
Looks fine hope to see it turn out great gonna watch this.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by devinb132
Was the body fine sanded or sealed before you primered? Because in the pictures it looks like you can see the grain of the wood through the primer.

no it wasn't.. i went over it lightly with 220 though:S i thought to, but the auctioner on ebay said i didn't need to grainfill...

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
If you dont grain fill or use sanding sealer you'll just need more coats of primer.

So just keep adding coats and sanding untill its thick and you dont sand though the edges any more

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
If you dont grain fill or use sanding sealer you'll just need more coats of primer.

So just keep adding coats and sanding untill its thick and you dont sand though the edges any more

yeah that's what i was thinking

But how many cans do you think it will take? i've used one can of "Sandable Primer" from duplicolour, and i also use the base coat that was leftover from a mystify kit.

So two more cans should be plenty?

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Bump/Update

Okay so i just emptied another can of primer on the body, and i'm forcing myself to stay away from the garage for an hour (the can says 30 miin before sanding, but i'll play it safe)

Then i'll give it another sand with 400 grit, then i'll wipe it down, inspect it for any pits/dents and use up the other and last can of primer.

ALSO!!

I bought paints for the swirl: Plastikote Enamel paint "Odds 'n' Ends" in antique gold and flat black(#'s B34 aand B2 respectivly) and without borax, the gold did float, and looked okay (like it didn't separate) but i didn't get any good looking patterns. So i shall try again with borax another day.

May Fortune be with me

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
AHHH this neck business is driving me crazy!

I've been browsing ebay for like weeks... and i'm NEVER satisfied with a neck...

Does anyone know of any companies that make custom AANJ necks ( ala DNA jem... if i can afford it)

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
^ yeah i realize that, but it's already done, and it looks okay to me.. though there are still some grain lines.

Maybe next time.

Or if i get bored of the finish i'll rip it off and do it over

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
don't worry too much about it, it should be fine, it'll just be harder to remove because the lacquer sinks into the wood.
But will the lines show up in the finish?

Like when i apply the final coat of lacquer will i still be able to feel lines? (assuming i use something like 6 cans of lacquer?

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
You wont be able to feel them but you will be able to see them.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
You wont be able to feel them but you will be able to see them.

i can live with that

besides they look cool... more natural. Just as long as the finish is still a mirror.

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
if you want a really extreme, cheap grain filler..water down some pva glue so its less of a gloop and more a slightly thicker water..then paint with that.
it will fill grain really well and sand down..but still be rock hard
ah but i can't do that.. because i'm doing the swirl directly over the primer.. unless the pva glue will be 100% clear and still adhere to the oil paint.

oh and so everyone knows.. my contingency plan is to brush paint some simple stripe or wave on the body in antique gold if (god forbid) the swirl fails.

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
just a comment:

the alder jems have a basswood veneer, because if it was simply on the alder the alder pattern would eventually show through (like a strat).
i have a 'white guitar'
^ yeah i read that on jemsite too.

I specifically asked the guy who sold me the body, and he said that just primer is fine.

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
okay so i did the swirl.. i like it, but it looks more like a splatter then a swirl

The problem with the gold paint is, that it worked fine, but about one sec after the paint starts floating.. it cracks up.. like actual gold flakes floatin in water.. so it looks kinda like an old vase with peeling paint

Pics tomorrow

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Can't wait to see it, I'm a fan of swirls, one of these days I'm gonna do something cool.
WE WANT PICS.

I love swirls, on the 8 string I'm building I'm going to do a red white and black swirl..
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
I masturbationed on my bus driver.
Quote by bob farrell
This man speaks the truth. Pleez to be videoing your horrific death kthxbai.
Okay before i post pictures, is there a way for me to mount the pickups without rings and without a pickguard?

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
direct mount onto the wood, don't worry about it though, rings are good. ask LPaddict about direct mount, i think he recommended it to me one time. I personally prefer rings though.
I dunno i don't like rings.. unless it's HH.. HSH just looks cluttered with rings.

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Page 1 of 3