I'm planning on buying a strat style guitar with one of those first guitar kits from Aldi, and modding it so it looks/sounds cool. I'm going to work on it as a warm up to actually makeing a guitar, and I was wondering if UG could help me out with parts and cost.

What I plan to do is paint it black and red bullseye, install a killswitch and maybe a distortion button, wind a set of two single coils and one humbucking pickup (which I'll put in the neck). I need to know what parts/paints I will need, possibly what tools, whether it will be worth winding pickups, and direction to some wiring diagrams.

I have a randomn orbital sander, a jig saw, and a few drills. I can also scrap the amp and take parts out of it if that helps.

Thanks
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Last edited by Hereiwas at Jul 9, 2008,
Well this might cost - I'm not sure - about 3 times more than the guitar costs itself.

+

you should be nearly a craftsman to do this... especially for the new painting
Quote by 6-string-yay-2
I can also scrap the amp and take parts out of it if that helps.

why would that help?

hahahaha
Quote by 6-string-yay-2
I can also scrap the amp and take parts out of it if that helps.

why would that help?

Well, I was thinking along the lines of capacitors resistors etc. I don't really know what would be in there though.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
you can get pots and nobs from the amp but i'm not really sure what else (and the pots have to be the right kind for the pickups you put on).

and i think this would be a great project (will teach you alot about customizing guitars so you can take on a bigger project some day)

the only thing is you need to find out what kind of wood the guitar is made out of, anything except ply wood is good but if there is plywood, then it's a no no

i suggest getting a cheap squier and modding it (the one's without the **** amp)

You will need:
soldering iron (go look up some tutorials, not that hard)
The ultimate finishing thread and the supplies suggested there ( i dunno about painting) https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726
an spdt switch for the killswitch (ultimate tutorial thread to find out how, https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547959 )

don't know anything about distortion on guitars so i wouldn't know so you're on your own

what pickups are you getting?
Thanks for a useful reply.

I'm not sure what sort of wood or pickups it will come with, because it will be one in a box from aldi, simply because it is cheaper. The sort of sound I'm aiming for is hardrock, like Thin Lizzy, Led Zep, maybe a bit of Sex Pistols. What pickups would I need/how would I wind them?
CuSO4

Quote by Hereiwas
Thanks for a useful reply.

I'm not sure what sort of wood or pickups it will come with, because it will be one in a box from aldi, simply because it is cheaper. The sort of sound I'm aiming for is hardrock, like Thin Lizzy, Led Zep, maybe a bit of Sex Pistols. What pickups would I need/how would I wind them?

then i think the wood is gonna be cheapo, how much is this pack at aldi?

as for pickups i suggest looking at a SD SH-11 (will give you that smooth classic hard rock tone, medium output) or a Dimarzio Super Distortion (more of an agressive hard rock tone, very high output) and a lace silver sensor for the middle (good overwould 70's strat tone) and a lance sensor blue for the neck (really good strat style neck pup sound) (the nicer fenders come loaded standard with lace sensors.

and what do you mean wind them? they come pre wound
I meant winding my own ones from scratch, but your suggestions sound just as good, and a hell of alot easier.
CuSO4

if you want distortion in your guitar your going to need to route out the guitar to fit the circuit board and battery. I would actually recommend a fuzz pedal. They give solid amounts of distortion and the circuit are usually very cheap and pretty small. easy to get nice and compacted.

Or you could do something like the black ice mod. Its really simple and costs less than 1$. seems to cut volume a little, but it adds a nice bluesy growl to the guitar, very simple to do.

As for the price it really depends on the quality you want. there are some cheaper pickups that sound decent, i've heard some good things about some of the gfs pickups and bad things about the others.

Or you could go for some really nice pickups, and when you build your second guitar use these pups
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I wind my own pickups for all of my builds. Considering my winder cost 35 dollars to make and the kits are 20 dollars each, I've basically made my money back... plus, 2 of the pups i made sounded so good I sold 2 to someone and made some money back... he's VERY pleased with them so far
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
If I were to wind my own, how would I change the sort of tone it makes, or is it just a hit and miss affair?

What is the Black Ice Mod? Can you show me a diagram or a link?
CuSO4