I was looking for a pickup change in my G&L Legacy american and I sumwhat fell in love with emg single coil pups

Tone wise I would like to know peoples opinion, this guitar will be playing alot of cleans and sometimes be driven with alot of gain throught my fender tube amp
I don't mind having to change batteries

wondering peoples opinion on this pup change

NO i do NOT want other pup suggestions just want to know advantages and disadvantages!
I can't help right now, but on Friday I'm getting my Ibanez back with it's EMG's fitted, so I'll let you know how the middle one sounds. It's the "EMG S" pickup, as opposed to the more common "SA".
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
i have EMG SA's loaded in my strat, i love them more than the stock pups, the only disadvantage i see is having to change the batteries
well the local shop only has 2 in stock but i got a great price for all 3 ( he will order it)

so i will have neck and bridge emg pup and the middle will be the stock single but it will be disconnected

i will get the middle in the next weeks
Right, got my EMG loaded Ibanez back today. The middle "EMG S" pickup is great. It's not exactly the most subtle one (I use positions 2 and 4 for gentler tones) but is great for rougher blues tones. I'm not a blues tone expert, but it does the job nicely. It performs the Metallica clean tones very well too, think "One" etc... and it does the clean tones off "The Blackening" by Machine Head well too, and compared to the stock Ibanez ones, tonally, it is far more responsive.

I believe the S compared to the SA, is slightly punchier and brighter sounding. I'm very pleased with it, after being sceptical of an EMG single coil. It's not "lifeless" or "sterile" at all. I really like them. And don't get me started on the harmonics.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Last edited by BobMarleysGhost at Jul 11, 2008,
i've had both and think they're both great.

the s is soft around the edges. its great clean, and really smooth distorted. the sa has more power in the mid-range and is punchier because of it.

maybe try the sa in the bridge and middle and an s in the neck position...
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
do emg do single coils for 7 strings ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
nope, but a splitable 707 is available .
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"