Basically someone has asked me to teach them a little clarinet. Problem is I've never had formal lessons myself and I have never taught anyone anything about music before.

So, Pit, any advice so I don't screw up? The girl I'm teaching is 18 and she has NO previous musical knowledge. We'll be playing roughly twice a week.
wait......... do u know how to play clarinet? cause i couldn't tell from ur post and it'd be tough if u didn't know how. and yeah get a begginners book and learn like the next lesson before her
member of The Yes Club
member of the Ten Years After Club
member of the Allman Brothers Club
member of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club
PM deadhead313313

member of the Queen Fanclub!
PM Hanzi_G
Learn the clarinet
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
Quote by hippyguitardude
wait......... do u know how to play clarinet? cause i couldn't tell from ur post and it'd be tough if u didn't know how. and yeah get a begginners book and learn like the next lesson before her

I'm roughly grade 4/5.....like my above post says
learn to play the clarinet, master the clarinet, teach the clarinet!

or...

say lol watch youtube naps!
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
So buy a beginners book for ideas of what to teach her.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
well teach her how you were taught how to play (if you remember how you were taught) if worse comes to worst. wing it
Start the first lesson holding the clarinet upside-down. It probably won't help matters, but it will provide an interesting ice-breaker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Demoralising women is just one of the many services we provide here at UG
Is she hot? If so teach her the trombone and tell her it's a clarinet, trust me...
By reading this magnificently and wonderful, adjective-filled signature, you have just wasted approximately 7 seconds of your life.
Quote by Azwethinkwedo
Masterbait before you see her so you dont suffer premature ejaculation

Wow...way to spell it wrong...
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Are you doing it for free?

If so, charge her. You could get money out of all of this.

She's helping me songwrite so I AM strictly gaining something from this.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I'm not interested in her sexually...

must be gay

jk

but teach her from a A (you know, above the open G), and all the notes down to a G.

and teach her quarter notes, half notes, whole notes, etc..
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
teach her to play YOUR clarinet heyo
but srsly
theory is important. esp witha band instrument. make sure ou're teaching her that. teach her about the break ( if you know what that is) try and get her over the break, real progress will come after that. makesure to have her clean it often, mold DOES grow on those things
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Wrong thread but yay! You're back

haha yea im sticking around.

but seriously, think back to when you started playing. what would you have liked to have been taught earlier on? what would you appreciate.

but remember to make it interesting. if she'sjust beginining, she wont want hours of theory.
Quote by slann101
haha yea im sticking around.

but seriously, think back to when you started playing. what would you have liked to have been taught earlier on? what would you appreciate.

but remember to make it interesting. if she'sjust beginining, she wont want hours of theory.

Acknowledged and taken on board.

I was thinking of maybe playing some clarinet/bass pieces with her on clarinet and me on bass.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I was thinking of maybe playing some clarinet/bass pieces with her on clarinet and me on bass.

that would be pretty cool.

bass > guitar.

how about some simple rock, something like smoke on the water. something that is just redicusllaly fun for a beginner.
Quote by korinaflyingv
teach her simple folk tunes. easy to play, and rewarding too if they're nice tunes

I was thinking of something like that...
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

How the hell is she supposed to be taught to play the clarinet?
I learned the clarinet by watching my instructor play. The same goes with every other instrument I learned.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Quote by konkordmusk
How the hell is she supposed to be taught to play the clarinet?
I learned the clarinet by watching my instructor play. The same goes with every other instrument I learned.

I've been playing 7 years and have only seen my clarinet teacher play a handful of times, literally. Different people teach in different ways...