Page 1 of 3
I'm searching for concrete sound, Jimmy Page from Whole Lotta Love or Lemon Song. Ofc I'm not that rich to buy myself vintage gear from that years. While looking for cheaper substitutes I found this amp:
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Marshall---DSL401~ID~1354.asp

Will it give me that certain(ok, similar), sharp and distinctive sound with Tele?

Please, give some suggestions and opinions.
If anybody says you need a Les Paul to get the Led Zep sound, then there's gonna be some slapping time.

That amp, I haven't heard brilliant write ups about the DSL's, your best bet would be trying the reviews on Harmony Central, inconjunction with other users who might post.

Good luck.
Quote by Gh.
I'm searching for concrete sound, Jimmy Page from Whole Lotta Love or Lemon Song. Ofc I'm not that rich to buy myself vintage gear from that years. While looking for cheaper substitutes I found this amp:
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Marshall---DSL401~ID~1354.asp

Will it give me that certain(ok, similar), sharp and distinctive sound with Tele?

Please, give some suggestions and opinions.

Honestly, I think a Peavey Classic 30 would do a better job than the DSL.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Emulating someones tone like page, hendrix, clapton, and slash is futile cause there were so many factors that come into play. But I can say for the jcm2000 series is that it is a very versatile amp. Its like a jack of all trades master at nothing..It has awesome cleans, great crunch (much like a jtm 45 or a 59 plexi). And the lead channel gets you from a jose modded plexi to a modern scooped gain. You will have no problem getting a early 70's marshallesque tone out of your dsl.....heres a clip of a very honest demo of the dsl100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XB0W26ycw
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
If you select the bridge pickup and dial off the treble a bit on the amp to compensate, you should get in the right ballpark. Don't scoop the mids, and don't use loads of gain ...
Quote by timi_hendrix
Honestly, I think a Peavey Classic 30 would do a better job than the DSL.

oh god here we go......watch the clips
Quote by JaredFace
oh god here we go......watch the clips

I know eh, these damn kids with their opinions.

Seriously though, I've played both and the Peavey is just a nicer amp to me.

EDIT: That video's from Gearwire, it's about as honest as Robert Mugabe.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JaredFace
Emulating someones tone like page, hendrix, clapton, and slash is futile cause there were so many factors that come into play. But I can say for the jcm2000 series is that it is a very versatile amp. Its like a jack of all trades master at nothing..It has awesome cleans, great crunch (much like a jtm 45 or a 59 plexi). And the lead channel gets you from a jose modded plexi to a modern scooped gain. You will have no problem getting a early 70's marshallesque tone out of your dsl.....heres a clip of a very honest demo of the dsl100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XB0W26ycw

I...

....disagree.
Find a Vox Super Beatle or one of Vox's other similar amps, like the Royal Guardsman or the Viscount. The Viscounts will sometime pop up on eBay for reasonable prices. The Beatle is what Page said he used, and considering the tones, it's probably likely he's remembering correctly/telling us the truth

You're going to struggle getting tones from the second album out of a DSL. Don't like it, tough, not everyone of his tones is cranked tube amp. And for what it's worth, there's plenty of evidence to show the Les Paul was the main guitar for the second album, not the Tele. Let the slapping begin.
I will second the vox, he also was known for using an older fender amp too, but if your a gigging musicans you need versatility. And you will get it with a jcm2000. Like I said before its a jack of all trades master of nothing (assuming you dont get it modded)
Quote by timi_hendrix
I know eh, these damn kids with their opinions.

Seriously though, I've played both and the Peavey is just a nicer amp to me.

EDIT: That video's from Gearwire, it's about as honest as Robert Mugabe.

haha
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
i would say it's about as honest as the writing credits for the majority of Led Zeppelin's work but looks like timi already has a good analogy
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
page used alot of small tube amps in the studio. Lots of supros, some champs, and some vox amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i would say it's about as honest as the writing credits for the majority of Led Zeppelin's work but looks like timi already has a good analogy

WOW! bold statement, ur right, that gearwire demo wasnt even the dsl, it was a some computer program making all the tone..........Ignorance is bliss I guess.
the sounds created on records is always depended by what type of mic was used.... it's impossible to perfectly nail the sound
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
Quote by JaredFace
WOW! bold statement, ur right, that gearwire demo wasnt even the dsl, it was a some computer program making all the tone..........Ignorance is bliss I guess.

and TBH, all of the gearwire demos i have heard make everything sound WORSE than they do in real life. so if it sounds good in the demo, it probably sounds good in real life.
there are too many bandwagons here on UG.
besides, a good player can get a good tone out of any quality amp. it is obviously a quality amp, so all it needs is a competent player.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by JaredFace

The DSL sounded pretty modern to me. Not really that great for Zep tones.

And he's referring to the fact that a lot of Zep's work is derived from other sources. The drum intro from Rock N Roll is from a Little Richard song, the prelude of Bring it On Home being a cover, and several of their songs are essentially classic blues songs....etc...etc..

Personally, i think I'd rather grab an Orange Rocker 30.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The DSL sounded pretty modern to me. Not really that great for Zep tones.

And he's referring to the fact that a lot of Zep's work is derived from other sources. The drum intro from Rock N Roll is from a Little Richard song, the prelude of Bring it On Home being a cover, and several of their songs are essentially classic blues songs....etc...etc..

Personally, i think I'd rather grab an Orange Rocker 30.

saying that the "Rock n Roll" intro is taken from a little richard song is like saying any one who plays a walking bass line is ripping off who ever first played a boogie woogie song. that drum part is in almost EVERY 50s rock song. what next, is someone gonna hear someone play a 3:2 clave and say there ripping off Bo Diddley.
but you are correct about them ripping everything else off of others.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^You're right about the drum thing, drums aren't exactly copyrighted. Just the first thing I always think of, whenever people talk about Zep and writing credits.

haha, me too.
that why i have always admired clapton, he was the first guy in Rock n Roll to actually give both credit and money to the people that actually wrote his songs. he didnt want his heroes to be broke, which most of them were.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
yea zep was pretty much on the same boat as elvis.

on their own they would have still been great, but would've taken a lot longer to get that success. just a shame to find out one of the greatest rock bands is really one of the greatest cover rock bands LOL. i still love their music, just considerably less knowing that it wasn't genuinely them.

lord knows i'd be ashamed if izzy an axl stole all their work from no-name bands tryin to make a name for themselves....haha.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
yea zep was pretty much on the same boat as elvis.

on their own they would have still been great, but would've taken a lot longer to get that success. just a shame to find out one of the greatest rock bands is really one of the greatest cover rock bands LOL. i still love their music, just considerably less knowing that it wasn't genuinely them.

lord knows i'd be ashamed if izzy an axl stole all their work from no-name bands tryin to make a name for themselves....haha.

haha, what really sucks is that when i listen back to all the Zeppelins work, for the most part i only like the stuff that they stole, with a few exceptions of course haha.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
just a shame to find out one of the greatest rock bands is really one of the greatest cover rock bands LOL. i.

thats ignorant.
i feel ya lol. ionno, i never turned out a HUGE zep fan, i've just heard a lotta their work and liked it. good thing i didn't get too hooked or devoted....or else i'd either be in complete denial or on the brink of suicide lol
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
sorry jared but that's kinda how it is. their first three albums were mostly stolen works. houses of the holy i believe is either all their stuff or mostly. but they did that stuff all throughout the band's career...

no different than me going 'hey i like that kid's song...im gonna rearrange it to sound better and add some stuff here an there' and someone calling me a complete scam. at least they didn't try to deny stealing the work. 'everyone was doing it' LOL. they're a good band, GREAT band.....but not nearly as original as i thought they were.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
While I hear what're saying, to say they're straight up covers would be a vast overstatement.
The basswork is UNDOUBTEDLY different. Drums are very different. Guitar work is pretty different, since you know, Page is a bit of a madman - it was more than just "reworking it and making it better". And Plant does use a few of the old lines here and there.
I wouldn't say they're covers, since they have a lot of Zep's flavor in 'em, anyway. They definitely do draw heavily on old blues numbers, though.

Anyway, let's stop with the spam, folks.
no they're not covers, me calling them a cover band was only messin'. don't mean to offend any Zep fans out there either haha.

and yea i'm done w/ my spammin' of irrelevant material!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
To be honest, I didn't start this topic to discuss Led Zeppelin songs issues. There is plenty of space for it in Led Zeppelin thread.

Someone mention Vox amps... Will I really achieve Lemon Song or Whole Lotta Love sound with their stuff? Someone tried? Anyway, maybe there is a decent Vox amp for circa 400 pounds?

One more thing. I'm thinking about gigging in future so tell me: Will 40W be enough to be heard with drums?

****, I barely think at this hour. I'm currently in London. I thought that this city will be suitable to test some serious amount of gear. Considering that Turnkey and Soundcheck(or control) are closed since propably May, it's not. Maybe there is another big guitar gear store in London? I could check out by myself all that stuff that was mentioned in this topic.
Cheers guys, hope you'll understand at least half of what I wrote.
Allow me to explain again. Page has said he used a Vox Super Beatle for a majority of the second album, though he could have used a UL7120 as well. There are some exceptions such as Heartbreaker, and some overdubs done with a Marshall but the Lemon Song and Whole Lotta Love have the characteristics of the Super Beatle written all over them. The Super Beatle used a mid range boost (MRB) circuit, it's very similar to a wah circuit. When activated it'd would give you a nasally/honky tone which you controlled with a 3 position switch. The main riff in The Lemon Song was probably done with the switch in it's bassiest position. The Whole Lotta Love solo was probably done with the switch in it's trebliest position. In addition to the MRB circuit the Beatle also used a built in fuzz derived from a Fuzz Face.

If you really want to nail The Lemon Song and Whole Lotta Love tones you need a Super Beatle or a similar amp such as the Royal Guardsman or Viscount. None of which Vox makes anymore, but they still can be found on eBay and that sort of thing for reasonable prices. Unfortunately none Vox's current offerings will really get you that tone.
Quote by JaredFace
thats ignorant.
Almost as ignorant as saying a JCM2000 sounds like a JTM45.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Anyway, let's stop with the spam, folks.

Right after I mention Houses of the Holy sounds like it was recorded with the bass tone knob either at "0" or pulled out and the circuit jumped. I hope the guy on the mix board was castrated that evening.

Anyway - I think Whole Lotta Led hit this one dead on.
Quote by MrCarrot
Almost as ignorant as saying a JCM2000 sounds like a JTM45.

Its is in the same realm, of course its not spot on but it will get ya styling. especially if you get it modded out like I do, then you are really in the ballpark.

And by the way, I have guitar picks that been playing guitar longer than you. You got allot of learning to do. But thats okay Im pretty patient.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Oh, that explains it, you're older than him so you must know more.

naw its the fact that he has maybe 3 years of experince and all of a sudden hes a pro.
Ripping on someone because they disagree with you = not cool. Let's try to keep this thread on topic.

The DSL is probably too modern for the Zep II stuff unless you change the speaker. I think to get the most authentic vibe you could do one of two things:
-Get an old silvertone/vox/supro/etc. early 60s small combo on ebay. The 6x9 speaker supro comes up a lot as "The" Page studio amp.
-Get something like a classic 30, and a Tonebender clone. That would probably be closer to his live sound, but would work equally as well.
Quote by Roc8995
The DSL is probably too modern for the Zep II stuff unless you change the speaker.

I think thats one of the more common misconceptions. Yea in general the dsl is voiced more modern, but Im able along with a bunch of other people to get a good old school marshall plexi style tone on the crunch channel. Changing the speakers out isnt a huge determining factor.
Quote by FreedomFighter
If anybody says you need a Les Paul to get the Led Zep sound, then there's gonna be some slapping time.

That amp, I haven't heard brilliant write ups about the DSL's, your best bet would be trying the reviews on Harmony Central, inconjunction with other users who might post.

Good luck.

yeah, page used or uses a Tele. doesn't it have a weird custom paint job?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Page 1 of 3