Page 1 of 2
So four or five months ago, I give my Strat to the place I take lessons at so they can adjust the bridge and what not.

Today, I brought my guitar into the guy at Guitar Center (don't worry, separate business, he knows what he's doing) to adjust the action (which got screwed with due to the humidity, it's summer) About 30 minutes later, he comes up to me and says "I tried to adjust the truss rod, but whoever did it last didn't know what they were doing and stripped the truss rod. Because Fender installs these pieces of wood that hold the truss rod in, there's no way for me to replace it. We need to order a new neck."

You have to be ****ing kidding me.

So I'm going to call my Music place up and see if they'll pay for it.

WhaddaIdo?

P.S. I gave it to my lessons place to adjust the bridge. Obviously they would have to adjust the truss rod to balance it out right? There's no chance that they actually didn't have anything to do with it, is there?
Last edited by KetchupLad14 at Jul 11, 2008,
i took my guitar in to get the pickup selector switch replaced and they stole my tremelo bar

i never got it back, so i bought a new one, which broke off in my bridge

instead of bothering with taking the bridge off to try and maybe drill it out im just gonna deal with not having a tremelo bar till i can get a new guitar, mine sucks anyways, its a ****ty squire starter guitar
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Good luck proving that they stripped it. They can easily just say, "No, we didn't." There isn't any way to prove that you didn't do it. In fact, there isn't anyway to prove that the guy at Guitar Center didn't do it.
Just because a music store sells guitars doesnt always mean they know what they are doing. The guy in the store near me winds the strings around the tuning pegs 10 times and only carries spider amps. There are plenty of shop owners and workers who will tell you the most obtuse things because they think it to be the truth. Where do you think some of these flat earth theories about guitars get started. As for if the shop will fix your guitar maybe, maybe not. Just as likely to say "it was that way when you brought it in", "maybe GC screwed it up", "how do we know you didnt do it" etc etc. Be a good time to learn how to do this stuff yourself.
Well the dude at Guitar Center didn't do actually do anything to it. He checked the truss rod to see how tight it was. When he couldn't get any size tool to hook in, he saw it.

I do have the receipt from when my music shopp adjusted it.

And this guy at Guitar Center seemed to know what he's doing (I'm not an idiot, by the way) and it's not like he ****ed around. Like I said, he didn't even charge me for half an hour of his time because all he actually did was make a phone call to Fender about prices on replacement necks.
look at warmoth.com. you will get great deals on necks/pickups/guitar building equipment
Get a neck off eBay and since it is a strat you have to be a retard not to know how to replace it.

Should be about $100 bucks but it just depends where you get it from.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by Midnight Murk

As for installation, I'd do it myself. Unscrew the four bolts, pull the neck off, put the new neck in the pocket, and screw it back in.

Is it really that simple? No measuring and such?

I'm a wussy.

Also, I was kind of hoping I could get another Fender 60th neck, but if that's not possible, I suppose something else is fine.
A friend of mine had a 1967 Fender Stratocaster, and he wanted the tremolobridge to be a fixed bridge.... at the guitarcentre, some wanker GLUED the bridge to the body....

We nearly punched him trough his store, freakin' amateur!!!!
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
Quote by wicket_nirvana
i took my guitar in to get the pickup selector switch replaced and they stole my tremelo bar

i never got it back, so i bought a new one, which broke off in my bridge

instead of bothering with taking the bridge off to try and maybe drill it out im just gonna deal with not having a tremelo bar till i can get a new guitar, mine sucks anyways, its a ****ty squire starter guitar

If you open the back plate, on the extension of the bridge there will be 6 holes (for the strings) and then a small whole a little farther out. That leads to the whammy bar. Take a rod and push it out or something.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Quote by firebreath07
If you open the back plate, on the extension of the bridge there will be 6 holes (for the strings) and then a small whole a little farther out. That leads to the whammy bar. Take a rod and push it out or something.

well its SCREWED in there, so its not as easy as just pushing it out, its also stuck, so assuming i could get ahold of it to twist it to unscrew it, id have to twist pretty hard

thats y probably the only solution would be to drill it out, but im not gonna take my bridge off for that, i can deal with not having a trem
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Quote by KetchupLad14
So four or five months ago, I give my Strat to the place I take lessons at so they can adjust the bridge and what not.

Today, I brought my guitar into the guy at Guitar Center (don't worry, separate business, he knows what he's doing) to adjust the action (which got screwed with due to the humidity, it's summer) About 30 minutes later, he comes up to me and says "I tried to adjust the truss rod, but whoever did it last didn't know what they were doing and stripped the truss rod. Because Fender installs these pieces of wood that hold the truss rod in, there's no way for me to replace it. We need to order a new neck."

You have to be ****ing kidding me.

So I'm going to call my Music place up and see if they'll pay for it.

Anyone else have something this crappy happen to them?

P.S. I gave it to my lessons place to adjust the bridge. Obviously they would have to adjust the truss rod to balance it out right? There's no chance that they actually didn't have anything to do with it, is there?

Well, I suppose you could get a neck from mighty mite or Warmoth. And no, I don't think you need to adjust the truss rod for adjusting the bridge. Sue the bastards.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Aplanken
A friend of mine had a 1967 Fender Stratocaster, and he wanted the tremolobridge to be a fixed bridge.... at the guitarcentre, some wanker GLUED the bridge to the body....

We nearly punched him trough his store, freakin' amateur!!!!

That's hilarious.

Guys, I have no idea how to install tuners either. I want to find out how much it'll cost to get another 60th Anniversary neck before anything else.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll post back when there are further developments on the subject.
sorry for the double post, I just had one question that seems pretty obvious, but hey...

There's no possible way to remove that little piece of wood so we can just replace the truss rod, right? I mean, is there any slightly unorthodox ways of doing it, seeing as I'd have to sacrifice the neck either way?
Does this guitar have a maple or a rosewood F/B? if it has rosewood, it can be steamed off.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
wait, wait, you don't need to do any of this. I just remembered something about a truss rod repair kit, you might be able to find it on stewmac. Although, is the truss heel- adjust only? if it's not, then look for said kit. if it is, just buy a new neck. it's not worth steaming the glue that holds the fingerboard on until it gets soft enough.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by oneblackened
wait, wait, you don't need to do any of this. I just remembered something about a truss rod repair guide, you might be able to find it on stewmac. Although, is the truss hell- adjust only?

I'm sorry, "truss hell- adjust only"?

What?

EDIT: Does that mean that you can only adjust it from the bottom of the neck? If so, then no, you can adjust mine from the headstock.
OK, then look into that kit. Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair guide has a section on it too.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Yea stewmac has a set up to fix the nut on some truss rods. Always worth a try. Ive had to fix that style of nut before. But hammering an allen key into the stripped hole isnt a good option on a wooden guitar neck. They have a ball end style of allen wrenches that you might be able to get the nut loose with.
Quote by Tackleberry
Yea stewmac has a set up to fix the nut on some truss rods. Always worth a try. Ive had to fix that style of nut before. But hammering an allen key into the stripped hole isnt a good option on a wooden guitar neck. They have a ball end style of allen wrenches that you might be able to get the nut loose with.

Wait... is that what they suggest, or are you deciding against them?'

Also, do either of you have links? I can probably just find myself, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks for yyouz guys help. This is a big deal for me considering how little experience I've had with this repair stuff.
No offense KetchupLad, but you said in one post that you are no idiot. However, you dont know how to change a neck or tuners? Those are almost as simple as changing strings. Literally, instead of turning the pegheads on the tuners to losen the strings, you turn a screwdriver to loosen some screws.

So because of this, Im a bit puzzled about your aptitude for guitars.
Just saying, the trussrod repair kit from Stew-Mac is $229... If you can buy a fender neck for less than $229, why bother? The repair kit would most likely be useful for a set neck/neck-thru guitar, probably an expensive one. Since fender necks are bolt-on, there is really no need to buy the repair kit.

One thing before you actually buy the new neck... There are two kinds of allen wrenches, metric and standard. I have a strat as well, but I don't remember which type of wrench they use. If he was using a metric and it requires a standard, that's why he wouldn't be able to get it to fit. Same for the other way around. Go back and double check, get him to try with both kinds of wrenches.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

unless you were changing string gauge when they did the set up, or they detected a bow in the neck, then there is no reason why they should have tried to adjust the truss rod. could have been like that already.

if the truss rod is 'stripped' then it's not going to be under any tension at all if i understand you correctly. is there a forward bow in the neck with the strings tuned up? a hell of a big one as well, if the truss rod isn't working.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
unless you were changing string gauge when they did the set up, or they detected a bow in the neck, then there is no reason why they should have tried to adjust the truss rod. could have been like that already.

if the truss rod is 'stripped' then it's not going to be under any tension at all if i understand you correctly. is there a forward bow in the neck with the strings tuned up? a hell of a big one as well, if the truss rod isn't working.

The truss rod is stripped like this:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Truss_rods/Truss_Rod_Rescue_Kit.html
Meaning that the guy can't get the wrench to hook in because the grooves on the rod are all screwed up (shredded).

As for what you said first, when I talked to the guy who did the first adjustment, he didn't deny anything in terms of touching that.
He said "That's almost impossible to do. That's sounds strange, how do you know the guy at GC didn't do it?"

Obviously at this point, I'm not on either side anymore, and I think this may just end with me going to another place for adjustments. I can't get in a bad relationship with the business that gives me lessons.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
No offense KetchupLad, but you said in one post that you are no idiot. However, you dont know how to change a neck or tuners? Those are almost as simple as changing strings. Literally, instead of turning the pegheads on the tuners to losen the strings, you turn a screwdriver to loosen some screws.

So because of this, Im a bit puzzled about your aptitude for guitars.

Fair enough. Maybe I am a bit of an idiot. I just have no experience doing this because I have yet to need to. I only started playing out in the past less-than-a-year, so my guitars have really been exposed to these kinds of this until recently.

Quote by 6DgOfInTb
Just saying, the trussrod repair kit from Stew-Mac is $229... If you can buy a fender neck for less than $229, why bother? The repair kit would most likely be useful for a set neck/neck-thru guitar, probably an expensive one. Since fender necks are bolt-on, there is really no need to buy the repair kit.

One thing before you actually buy the new neck... There are two kinds of allen wrenches, metric and standard. I have a strat as well, but I don't remember which type of wrench they use. If he was using a metric and it requires a standard, that's why he wouldn't be able to get it to fit. Same for the other way around. Go back and double check, get him to try with both kinds of wrenches.

That's what I was thinking. I was going to ask:
Is there any chance any repairmen are actually going to own that thing? Because if I have to buy it myself, then I don't know if it's worth it because it costs just as much as a new neck.

As for the wrench thing.... interesting. I should check that out. Is there a way to find out online which one it requires?
I looked at the truss rod kit its for when the threads of the rod strip or break off. All you need to do is get the nut out. There isnt any standard size when it comes to truss rods. I have a drawer full of allen wrenches in different sizes that only seem to fit 1 guitar. When I worked on cars sometimes an allen head bolt would strip out. We would use a allen with the bent end cut off of a slightly larger size and and hammer it in to get the bolt out, sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt. But the nut on a truss rod wont be near this tight so should come out easier. So its worth a try to see if you get get this trick to work. If you get the nut out should be able to get a replacement.
Quote by Tackleberry
I looked at the truss rod kit its for when the threads of the rod strip or break off. All you need to do is get the nut out. There isnt any standard size when it comes to truss rods. I have a drawer full of allen wrenches in different sizes that only seem to fit 1 guitar. When I worked on cars sometimes an allen head bolt would strip out. We would use a allen with the bent end cut off of a slightly larger size and and hammer it in to get the bolt out, sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt. But the nut on a truss rod wont be near this tight so should come out easier. So its worth a try to see if you get get this trick to work. If you get the nut out should be able to get a replacement.

Isn't that what I said happened?

And I'm not really sure if I'm following you. You want me to try and hammer a pointy allen wrench into the neck of my guitar?
I'm not trying to be snotty, but if that's what you're suggesting, isn't that somewhat rediculous?
Still, thanks for the help.

Also, my main question before: Is that truss rod repair kit something any repairmen will actually own? Is it worth it to visit a couple shops and see if they can do that, or is that a one in a million thing?
ok i have never had to change a neck, but some stuff i have read leads me to believe that it 's not totally simple. there's the issue of tilt angle, necks are often shimmed to get this right. also the angle the neck makes to the body in the other plane will affect the spacing of the strings across the neck and hence how near the high E and low E are to the edges of the neck. any play in the fit of the new neck in the socket must be treated with caution.

i'm not trying to score points here, i just want make the you (TS) aware of potential problems and help you get your guitar fixed as painlessly as possible.

as far as casting blame on this sorry episode, i don't know why you are treading so carefully with the people who are giving you lessons, if they f***ed it up then they should be held accountable, there must be other good guitar teachers in your area. however, it sounds like it's going to be difficult to prove either way.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
ok i have never had to change a neck, but some stuff i have read leads me to believe that it 's not totally simple. there's the issue of tilt angle, necks are often shimmed to get this right. also the angle the neck makes to the body in the other plane will affect the spacing of the strings across the neck and hence how near the high E and low E are to the edges of the neck. any play in the fit of the new neck in the socket must be treated with caution.

i'm not trying to score points here, i just want make the you (TS) aware of potential problems and help you get your guitar fixed as painlessly as possible.

as far as casting blame on this sorry episode, i don't know why you are treading so carefully with the people who are giving you lessons, if they f***ed it up then they should be held accountable, there must be other good guitar teachers in your area. however, it sounds like it's going to be difficult to prove either way.

I don't think I'm going to be changing the neck myself, but thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

As for the blame thing, it's more that I don't know who the hell actually did it. The GC had my guitar for a good 20-25 minutes before he came over to me on the other end of the store.
I didn't think I was supposed to be watching him. I don't watch a mechanic fix my car.
Quote by KetchupLad14
I don't think I'm going to be changing the neck myself, but thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

As for the blame thing, it's more that I don't know who the hell actually did it. The GC had my guitar for a good 20-25 minutes before he came over to me on the other end of the store.
I didn't think I was supposed to be watching him. I don't watch a mechanic fix my car.

well all you have to do is screw the neck back on cos its a fender.... i had a bolt on neck guitar and i just screwed it on again, it takes like 5 minutes.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
^ my remarks about changing the neck were really in response to some of the earlier posts which suggested that it is a ridiculously easy thing to do - i don't think it is (if it is done properly). if you do get a new neck it's worth getting a pro to do it unless you are up for a challenge!

as far as the blame thing goes, i agree with you 100%, it's really impossible to say which one of them is responsible.
- Jimi Hendrix
Yeah man, seriously. Fender necks are the easiest things in the world to change. Its really straight forward and very simple. As long as you buy a neck from a reputable manufacturer there will be no shimming or angling of the neck needed. Its just a matter of loosening four screws and then retightening them.
No the problem you indicated is the nut itself stripped out that is a different problem than if the threads on the truss rod strip out. A rounded off bolt that a wrench wont grab is different than a bolt thats been cross threaded. Which is it?
Ok, now you guys are just giving me contradictory responses. Do I have to do those measurements or not?

Quote by Tackleberry
No the problem you indicated is the nut itself stripped out that is a different problem than if the threads on the truss rod strip out. A rounded off bolt that a wrench wont grab is different than a bolt thats been cross threaded. Which is it?

Umm...

I guess it's the nut then, because he couldn't get the wrench to grab.

How would other situation happen?
Get either a Mighty Mite, Warmoth, or Fender neck. Either of those three are made exactly to the same specs as the one that came on your guitar. As long as you buy a strat neck for your Strat body from one of those three places, then you dont have to do any measuring at all. It will be a direct bolt in replacement.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Get either a Mighty Mite, Warmoth, or Fender neck. Either of those three are made exactly to the same specs as the one that came on your guitar. As long as you buy a strat neck for your Strat body from one of those three places, then you dont have to do any measuring at all. It will be a direct bolt in replacement.

Except I don't really understand what Tackleberry explained to me. Is that what you're asking me to do, pry the nut out with the allen wrench?
Page 1 of 2