Page 1 of 2
guys, i realize that most people think that playing bass is VERY easy.

Like one day, " what do you play?" " bass" " oh. (with a tone that says 'you suck)"

Why does this stereotype exist? is it caused by guitar hero!? or is it true that bass is Really easy.
Last edited by chriskhng at Jul 9, 2008,
I'd bet my top-dollar that this thread will be closed within the half hour
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I play several instruments including a six string bass. It is not that easy if you do it right. Some bass lines are simple and some are intricate. Try a fretless bass!

Remember! You're special! Just like everyone else!
Last edited by stratologist at Jul 9, 2008,
i play guitar and bass, both of which are fairly easy for me, i taught myself bass from my knowledge of guitar and from listening to songs with awesome bass lines
It is a ignorant statment to claim that bass is the easiest instrument. Not also is it phyisicaly harder to play then guitar, you also have to have a sharper sense of time and more musical knowledge about scales and chords then anyone else in the band. Lets see that P.O.S. guitar player do "Continuum" or "Portrait of Tracy" and then say bass is easy...
its cuz most people havent been exposed to anything more intricate than all american rejects basslines lol. all genres of music have sick bassists, with some really complex songwriting. they just dont get the exposure of the crappy pop bands out there.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
It is a ignorant statment to claim that bass is the easiest instrument. Not also is it phyisicaly harder to play then guitar, you also have to have a sharper sense of time and more musical knowledge about scales and chords then anyone else in the band. Lets see that P.O.S. guitar player do "Continuum" or "Portrait of Tracy" and then say bass is easy...

word.
Quote by chriskhng
guys, i realize that most people think that playing bass is VERY easy.

Like one day, " what do you play?" " bass" " oh. (with a tone that says 'you suck)"

Why does this stereotype exist? is it caused by guitar hero!? or is it true that bass is Really easy.

It is as easy as you make it. Pounding root notes isn't that much easier that strumming power chord. A lot of people simply lack the imagination to make a decent bass line, end up pounding roots, and hence giving people the illusion bass is easy.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by ScottB.
I'll take that bet. I could do with some monies.

Who really cares what anyone thinks anyway? It isn't that hard...I mean if I can learn it anyone can
Its just general ignorance.
You will learn to just accept it.
Most "good" musicians realize that bass is an incredibly important factor of music.
Most people think that because it has less strings and is not as loud and noticeable in songs automatically think that it is an easy instrument.
This people are generally idiots.
if you play proper bass stuff then it is quite hard but because they only have 4 strings people will always be like 'lol, guitar too hard??', but you can get pretty good if you try, and if you listen to some bassists their basslines kick ass
no you don;t get it.

I recently join a jaZz band at my summer session, so i told my roomate that i'm the bassist, and not the guitarist.

and he asked " why is it like " dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dom dom dom dom dom dom dom dom"?'

and many others like, " I can play bass if a guitarist join".then Drummer says" don't do that. you'll waste your time and skills on some useless and easy ****."
some ppl may find bass easyer or guitar
i know a dude who is awesome at guitar but he wouldnt be able to to play bass half as good as me
but i'm now teaching myself guitar after what i learned from bass
it depends on the person
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
*raises hands to begin typing a message typed a thousand times and then realizes something*

I... don't care.

lol! sigged
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
People think that because it has less strings than a guitar that it's an easier instrument and does not require as much skill to sound decent.

I respect bass guitars and bassists. They are second only to drums in a band for keeping the rhythm.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
bass is easy if you just hit root notes. i picked up a bass for the first time and was able to play root notes of chord progressions. it did take some time to get used to holding the strings down so hard, but i got it pretty quickly. BUT when you do basslines that involve more than ONE note, things start getting difficult. bass is an easy instrument to just pick up and play, but it is very difficult to learn harder basslines.

in conclusion, a lot of songs have very easy bass parts, but i would never say that bass in general is just easy. yes bassists i respect your skills.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Imperial

I respect bass guitars and bassists. They are second only to drums in a band for keeping the rhythm.

There's no such things seconds when it comes to a rhythm section- any instrument involved has to play at the same level of rhythm for it to be a good rhythm section.

Quote by InanezGuitars44
bass is easy if you just hit root notes. i picked up a bass for the first time and was able to play root notes of chord progressions. it did take some time to get used to holding the strings down so hard, but i got it pretty quickly. BUT when you do basslines that involve more than ONE note, things start getting difficult. bass is an easy instrument to just pick up and play, but it is very difficult to learn harder basslines.

in conclusion, a lot of songs have very easy bass parts, but i would never say that bass in general is just easy. yes bassists i respect your skills.

Conversely, guitar can be just as easy or just as hard.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^See here^ People are jerks, deal with it.

Lmfao for quoting yourself, originality!

When I was about 14 or 15 people thought bass was easy, they then realised it isn't.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by kaizerkhan13
word.

So simple, yet so effective.
Quote by ScottB.
Been more than a half hour now man.

In any case TS, bass, as any other instrument, is as hard as you make it to be. Also, realize people have opinions, usually uneducated or just "bad" opinions, but opinions none the less, which are utterly subjective. XD
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Because they're ignorant. Simple as that. Yes a guitarist will be able to pick up a bass and play it, but he'll be playing it like if it were a guitar. He'll use a pick and/or just play root notes. Same way a bassist will be able to pick up a guitar and play it, but he'll be playing it like if it were a bass. He'll play with his fingers and/or have a hard time with chords.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
OP is completely right, bass deserves alot more respect than it gets. My favourite remedy for people who say how easy bass is, is to move my fingers faster than they can see and watch the expression on their face change from surprise, to wonder, to envy.

I think I actually enjoy the steriotype of bass, it makes it easier to be considered good at bass, because the idea that we're all bad guitar players or something brings down standards hugely. my favourite excuse is "surely being good on four strings is harder than being good on six strings, as you have fewer notes that you can use", and that tends to shut them up.
Quote by wouldyakindly
OP is completely right, bass deserves alot more respect than it gets. My favourite remedy for people who say how easy bass is, is to move my fingers faster than they can see and watch the expression on their face change from surprise, to wonder, to envy.

OP is being whiny.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I didn't become a bassist to get respect. I don't play guitar to get respect. I play instruments to create music. Once you get caught up in the respect rubbish, you begin to lose sight of what being a musician is about. I couldn't give a sh*t if I was respected or not.
People look at me like that too sometimes when I tell them I play bass. Thing is, when I'm up there playing I really don't care. I'm an instrumental part of the band, and God damn it if I don't have a hell of a lot of fun. Who cares if you just play some root notes, you're contributing.
All your base are belong to us.
I play both bass and guitar (but I play the bass a lot more), so I am gunna rant a bit. The bass is accually a lot harder than the guitar to play, think about it. How many times do you see someone playing the bass as fast as, just for an example, Jimi Hendrix.

First of all, you are playing with frets almost twice as big. On the guitar, I can hold the first fret and the 5th fret at the same time, and I can make first and 4th at best on the bass. Also on the bass, the strings are tighter, so its harder to hold them down. The strings on the bass also give more fret buzz, so you have to pay more attention to where your fingers are in relation to the actual fret.

And on the guitar hero thing. Just because some bands have really lazy bassists that only play one note 50 times in a row doesn't mean that bass is easy, it just means that some bassist don't try.

And finally, so people don't get mad at me, I am not saying that the guitar is easy. The guitar is an incredibly respectable instrument. The guitar is easier to start playing than the bass, just because of the more forgiving strings and frets, but is much harder to advance to a point where it is really impressive.
~Insert Signature Here~
Last edited by Gibsocam at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Every instrument has a stereotype associated with it. But the best thing you can do is not get caught up in them and get all arsey about it.

i strongly disagree, there's nothing i love more than to make fun of my blonde, drummer friend!
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
plus you really have to take care of your posture when playing bass

its usually much heavier than guitar and most people dont realize that they are bending over too much when playing and that can cause some damage in the future

just wanted to throw this out there
I tire of these threads. To any bassist who feels like he's being bullied for what he plays by other musicians, I advise he leaves the low end now... or grow up.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Bass and guitar when it comes down to it are about the same in difficulty... Guitar has a steep learning curve but once you get used to holding a pick, and playing chords most song you will find are easy(of course you won't be able to play dream theater and Yngwie malmsteen at this point)... Bass is a more accessible instrument in the beginning but with all the techniques and skills you can do on a bass it can get very challenging. I'm not saying guitar is easy because 6 string sweeping and stuff like that is ridiculously hard. But double thumbing in conjunction with your fingers is just like WTF?
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by gm jack
It is as easy as you make it. Pounding root notes isn't that much easier that strumming power chord. A lot of people simply lack the imagination to make a decent bass line, end up pounding roots, and hence giving people the illusion bass is easy.

This

Power chords appeal to more people and they will usually find root notes boring and assume it's easy to play. I will admit that I'm pretty n00bish at making a bassline but I'm working on it so I can make my bass playing stand out and mix at the same time.

EDIT: For the whole "drums set the rhythm thing" say a song has an upbeat tempo with a rhythm of 1 2&3 (If you don't know what this means you shouldn't be saying who gives the rhythm.) with the drums doing a kick snare type beat. The kick hits on 1 and 3, that means the bass would have to supply the 2&. (We'll include the 3 as well) Then the guitar could do the same as the bass then go into some triplet thingy or something....

Sorry if that made no sense at all or was incorrect, I'm pretty basic in my theory and overall rhythm comprehension.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jul 9, 2008,
Like I've said before, playing power chord guitar is harder than playing root note bass the same way shitting is harder than pissing. After all, you have to take off your pants, sit down, and squat.

But why is there a preconceived notion? Well, I have a few guesses: a lot of guitar players (especially metal guitar, ironically the most elitist genre of them all) think the bass is a decendant of the guitar (i.e. a guitar with 2 less strings... but the fact that it's exactly 2 less is just a random anomaly). Already a red-headed stepchild. A lot of bands' bass players used to be the bands worst guitar player. That's another reason. A lot of crappy players, like Pete Wentz, get a lot of attention. Yet another reason. The mere role and sound of bass is a lot more 'implicit' than guitar for those who are mainstream non-musician idiots. Whatever's the loudest is what's most important. That's why any idiot knows of Flea. And finally, I think the acoustic guitar really screws something up, and the acoustic bass is either an upright or a piece of crap. I really think the acoustic guitar does more damage to bass' rep in the minds of idiots than the electric does, but I can't pinpoint why. It could be the fact that there are many songs with an acoustic guitar (maybe even electric) and a guitar alone. You can immediately play the shitty Time of Your Life/Wonderwall shenanigans and have it immediately be recongizable through vocals and guitar, while bass typically needs some explicitly melodic accompaniment in order for idiots to realize it's important.

The bottom line is you have to spoonfeed stuff to 90% of the population, and guitars basically spoonfeed themselves. I think being able to play piano gets the same reaction as being able to play guitar - it's just that there's no bastard piano with 2 less keys that saves it from being elitist.

Just my thoughts.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by thefitz

The bottom line is you have to spoonfeed stuff to 90% of the population, and guitars basically spoonfeed themselves. I think being able to play piano gets the same reaction as being able to play guitar - it's just that there's no bastard piano with 2 less keys that saves it from being elitist.

Just my thoughts.

Best explanation yet.
Quote by ScottB.

Should've taken you up on that bet...

But stereotypes exist, get used to it.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by Deliriumbassist
OP is being whiny.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I didn't become a bassist to get respect. I don't play guitar to get respect. I play instruments to create music. Once you get caught up in the respect rubbish, you begin to lose sight of what being a musician is about. I couldn't give a sh*t if I was respected or not.

A fair point, music is the most important thing, I wasn't talking about personal respect though. The point i'm trying to make, (albeit badly) is that bass is treated like an inferior instrument by many people, seemingly without a good reason.
Nice thread bassists. Some interesting reads.

As a bassist mainly, and an acoustic guitarist... I find that when I play bass I have the most fun ever! People hear me, I think it's because i'm a well known guy in my area but everyone knows I AM A BASSIST.. And, I don't know people who think bass is easy..

But yeah. Bass is awesome. People are tards....

Ohh thats what else. In my bass playing, I play whatever accompanies the drums and guitar the most. I'm not there to be heard as a pwnage machine. Unless I'm playing alone, then i'll show my skills.

Yup.
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
Page 1 of 2