Poll: Harsh Vocals
Poll Options
View poll results: Harsh Vocals
Understandable! Love to sing along
20 80%
It's better when its so rough I can't make out what's being said!
3 12%
Don't care. I dont even like harsh vocals
2 8%
Voters: 25.
Alright!
So how do you guys like your vocals?
Im talking harsh vocals. Do you like it better when you can understand and hear the words, or better when its so brutal that you cant hear a word!

Example:
Understandle being bands like Amon Amarth and Arch Enemy

Not being like old decapitated
Quote by deli_creep

*PEAR*

if i get banned....it was worth it.
I have no preference, it just depends on the tone of the voice.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
As dunc said.

If it sounds good to me, I don't care.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Yeah, I really don't care either lol. If the vocals are at least tolerable, then I will listen. I hate Vader's vocalist, so if I can understand him or not, it doesn't matter.
^Really, I actually like Peter...
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Piotr > Most DM Vocals.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I don't care if I can understand it. As long as it sounds good.
Quote by mexicanmidget88
metalcore is metal, just with more brutality

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

Brandon Small Is An Amazing Guitarist and Glen Benton Is One Of The Best Drummers I've Ever Seen

R.I.P. George Carlin

May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008
^Exactly, come on how can you not like this?!?!?!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SgnF1BVF6pg
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Preferably when it's really harsh, although I don't have a really strong opinion either way.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by Slaytanic1993
As dunc said.

If it sounds good to me, I don't care.

Same here. The only type of harsh vocals that I can't absolutely stand is Waking The Cadaver. Sounds like a muffled fart.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
My favorite harsh vocalists are typically the more understandable ones. I'm not a fan of mumbly vocals. That said, vocal tone takes precedence.
Quote by duncang
I have no preference, it just depends on the tone of the voice.

I agree.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
I prefer understandable
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Depends on the music and band, I suppose. With bands like Agalloch and Opeth, I like being able to understand the vocals as the lyrics are generally emotional, thoughtful, and well written. When listening to a large part of death and black metal, however, I could care less whether I understand them or not - tone takes the fore in this case.
i just thought i'd bring this up:
Finally we have the other most recognised member of the band with Flo. Lord Worm. Lord Worm is a sick man, his vocals are a indistinguishable group of HURGHS and quite an impressive array of other little odd squeals, shrieks and screeches. Now, I know that indistinguishable growling is kind of standard in Death Metal, but Worm has a slightly different take on it. Instead of having an ultra brutal growling voice, it honestly sounds like HURGH HURG HURGH, it's hard to explain, but it sounds different to any other vocalist I've heard. Now, his voice is an acquired taste. But his lyrics are marvellous. Now, it's a complete bonus. Because you'll NEVER pick up a whole line, let alone a whole verse without a lyrics sheet. Hell, If you can pick up a single word you've done a good job. Really, you may as well read the lyrics without the CD going, because it's often hard to even keep up with the vocals when reading. For instance, allow me to translate the first verse of Phobophile into Lord Wormish.

"In The Kitchen
With A Screaming triple amputee:
It's completion depends solely
On my needs:
Said Amputee's stumps
Are my way of saying; "Thank You
Just For Being You"
It's Fear Tastes Better Than Its limbs."

Now in Lord Wormish

"Hurgh Hurgh Hur Hurgh
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee
Hurgh Hurgh Hurgh Hurwoh
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee
Hurgh Hurgh Hurghee Gaaaah!
Hurgh Hur GAH YAH!!
GYAH YAH HAGH!
Hurgh Hurgh
HurghHurgh Hurghee"

See, there’s not even the same number of syllables. When I read along the first verse is done and I'm still thinking I'm at "just For Being You". Now, the lyrics are great. All about violence and gore and stuff. But it's just got a smarter way of going about it than usual. But do the vocals work? I think that they fit perfect. Honestly, you'll be able to sing along with Worm on most of the tracks with a few listens. Only in Hurgh's and screeches, but still, they're memorable Hurgh's and screeches, and they are somehow catchy, despite being the least melodic aspect of the band.
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
Yeah, I really don't care either lol. If the vocals are at least tolerable, then I will listen. I hate Vader's vocalist, so if I can understand him or not, it doesn't matter.

He does this kind of a half growl half talking thing, its weird as hell. I think it makes the band stand out and it sounds badass.
I realized I was god when I prayed and saw that I was talking to myself.